Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168449-reply-poker-runs-america-%24100-000-poker-run-%2450-000-charitable-donation-thread.html)

summer 09-13-2007 11:39 AM

I'm usually a lurker but this topic hits close to home with me.

Shame on all of you that are allowing this to continue. I know most of you and I'm amazed that you arent demanding the 2000.00 portion of your entry fee back that was supposed to go to charity.

If this was your work this would be settled by now but because its your precious boating your'e letting this slide.

I understand from those that were there that there was no cheque presentation to a charity at the event. That clearly tells me that you were all duped from day 1.

There has been quite enough time for PRA to make this right. Obviously that isnt happening.

For those of you that think CHARITY is your middle name this doesnt look very good on you. Step up !!!!

You are all to be held accountable for making sure 50,000 gets to a charity.

This is like Georgian Bay all over again.

SHAME ON YOU ALL

Airpacker 09-13-2007 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by summer (Post 2270164)
I'm usually a lurker but this topic hits close to home with me.

Shame on all of you that are allowing this to continue. I know most of you and I'm amazed that you arent demanding the 2000.00 portion of your entry fee back that was supposed to go to charity.

If this was your work this would be settled by now but because its your precious boating your'e letting this slide.

I understand from those that were there that there was no cheque presentation to a charity at the event. That clearly tells me that you were all duped from day 1.

There has been quite enough time for PRA to make this right. Obviously that isnt happening.

For those of you that think CHARITY is your middle name this doesnt look very good on you. Step up !!!!

You are all to be held accountable for making sure 50,000 gets to a charity.

This is like Georgian Bay all over again.

SHAME ON YOU ALL

YOWZAA! more to this than meets the eye :food-smiley-007::hitfan:

rockstrmkr 09-13-2007 02:15 PM

Canada Poker Run = Bobthebuilder

All I know is this: If there was a poker run worth attending, my good friend and all around super charitable guy Bob the Builder would have been there, and would certainly be in the know.
So, Hey Bob, what's the story ???

All the best,
Hans

Bobthebuilder 09-13-2007 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr (Post 2270417)
Canada Poker Run = Bobthebuilder

So, Hey Bob, what's the story ???

All the best,
Hans

Hey, Hans. I will see you guys before long now. Coming down the first week of October. And you are too kind ! LOL

I was invited to the run but had a conflict and could not attend.
I do know all the players tho, including 3 participants who were told about the $50,000.00 charitable donation that so far has not taken place. I can tell you they are credible , stand up guys who's word I would not doubt.
I also have many friends at PRA and called them the other day to make them aware of this thread. Hopefully before long we will see a posting from PRA letting everyone know their position on this.
Like many others, I want to see this go away and we all get back to boating !:D
Bob

Single With Twins 09-13-2007 06:28 PM

Clearly there is something wrong and at this point I almost feel that even if there was 250k donated the damage has already been done! And a "sorry for the dealy" just insn't going to cut it. This is too bad that this has taken place.............

raymond 09-13-2007 06:48 PM

I talked to Bill this evening to find out if they'd made the donation. He informed me that they were short four boats on the run. He said that he decided on the evening of the event, that rather than shortchanging the winner of the $100,000, he would deal with the charity later. He was in a meeting and didn't have time to talk, but promised to call me tomorrow morning to discuss in more detail.

Airpacker 09-13-2007 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by raymond (Post 2270849)
I talked to Bill this evening to find out if they'd made the donation. He informed me that they were short four boats on the run. He said that he decided on the evening of the event, that rather than shortchanging the winner of the $100,000, he would deal with the charity later. He was in a meeting and didn't have time to talk, but promised to call me tomorrow morning to discuss in more detail.

That doesn't promising.

Must have been the most expensive poker run in the world to stage I guess.

Someone said "do the math" so I did.

21 boats x $10,000.00 - $100,000.00 = $110,000.00 plus $350.00 per passenger X ? plus any corporate sponsor money = one heck of an expensive poker run to stage.

Ms PatriYacht 09-13-2007 10:04 PM

is this the first time they held a high stakes/high roller type of poker run. I can understand not enough boats not enough money, but since they are a fairly well established for profit company they should have thought of all the what if's. Perhaps plans along the lines like the charity gets $$$$ with this number of boats, or this $$ if it is only a smaller number would have been a good idea. If this was a green group of guys putting together a charity run you might cut them some slack, but a corporation that is in business to promote runs is differnt. IMHO I bet PRA will probably do the right thing (even if it costs them) and pay the charity, but I am sure it will be a learning experience.

cloke 09-13-2007 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht (Post 2271108)
is this the first time they held a high stakes/high roller type of poker run. I can understand not enough boats not enough money, but since they are a fairly well established for profit company they should have thought of all the what if's. Perhaps plans along the lines like the charity gets $$$$ with this number of boats, or this $$ if it is only a smaller number would have been a good idea. If this was a green group of guys putting together a charity run you might cut them some slack, but a corporation that is in business to promote runs is differnt. IMHO I bet PRA will probably do the right thing (even if it costs them) and pay the charity, but I am sure it will be a learning experience.

Have been away. Missed all this BS.

I agree that PRA will do the right thing.

Firstly the fact that this was labelled High Stakes is of no consequence.
High stakes made the price tag go up by costing each boat 4k for the winner and 2k for the charity.That leaves 4k per boat to run the event.
This run (which was fantastic and well run as usual) was no different than any of the other times we've been to that venue.
Never has Hull cost more to enter than 2000.00 per boat (and each of those runs always had prizes totalling 20k which didnt happen this year.)

No one involved in this debate is expecting PRA to donate money that they don't have from this event.

And there is no learning experience here either.PRA has put together more poker runs that were well run and safe and full of entertainment than anyone else in North America.

And we all wish them the best as they continue to do so.

It is my opinion that the tax receipts should be issued to the people that donated the money , namely each of the entrants, not the grand prize winner as has been suggested. They donated 2k when they paid their entance fee as we all did.

I agree with the previous post that a reduced number of boats does effect the finances available to the winner and the charity.
The winner was not shorted any monies so therefore the HIGH STAKES PORTION of 4 boats x 6k each is a real shortfall.
Add back half the entry fee for the boat that paid and didnt show up and you have approx. 30k left for a fine donation to the charity of David and Johns choosing.
50 minus 24 plus 5
Anything more than that I can see being a burden on PRA and not fair to them which may cause this event not to be repeated which would be a shame.

I await the photo op.

PhantomChaos 09-14-2007 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by cloke (Post 2271173)
Have been away. Missed all this BS.

I agree that PRA will do the right thing.

Firstly the fact that this was labelled High Stakes is of no consequence.
High stakes made the price tag go up by costing each boat 4k for the winner and 2k for the charity.That leaves 4k per boat to run the event.
This run (which was fantastic and well run as usual) was no different than any of the other times we've been to that venue.
Never has Hull cost more to enter than 2000.00 per boat (and each of those runs always had prizes totalling 20k which didnt happen this year.)

No one involved in this debate is expecting PRA to donate money that they don't have from this event.

And there is no learning experience here either.PRA has put together more poker runs that were well run and safe and full of entertainment than anyone else in North America.

And we all wish them the best as they continue to do so.

It is my opinion that the tax receipts should be issued to the people that donated the money , namely each of the entrants, not the grand prize winner as has been suggested. They donated 2k when they paid their entance fee as we all did.

I agree with the previous post that a reduced number of boats does effect the finances available to the winner and the charity.
The winner was not shorted any monies so therefore the HIGH STAKES PORTION of 4 boats x 6k each is a real shortfall.
Add back half the entry fee for the boat that paid and didnt show up and you have approx. 30k left for a fine donation to the charity of David and Johns choosing.
50 minus 24 plus 5
Anything more than that I can see being a burden on PRA and not fair to them which may cause this event not to be repeated which would be a shame.

I await the photo op.

Wow....that is a lot of money to put on an event for 21 boat crews no matter how you slice it.

21 boats x $4K for prize money = $84K (short $16K)
21 boats x $4K for "event/profit" = $84K (short $16K)
21 boats x $2K for charity = $42K (short $8K)

Total Entry = $210K
Prize Paid = $100K
===============
Sub-total = $110K

Event cost/profit = $84K (actual...but planned on $100K)
===============
Sub-total = $26K

That means there is only $26K available to direct to a charity? What a weird situation. I know that the PRA are great guys, but this is open for debate now on a privately owned public access forum now and people have questions.