Listing with a Broker Pro's & Con's? >

Listing with a Broker Pro's & Con's?

Notices

Listing with a Broker Pro's & Con's?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
What are the pros and cons of listing with a broker in your home town. I've never really done this and my boat has been for sale in boat trader online and I was called today from a local broker. He is sending me the contract to read over.

He seems to be able to reach farther out with his listing than my boatrader add.

thanks, Mike
They all think they are pro's and most of them are cons! Stick with the guys that are well known in the biz. Stick to a broker that specializes in your type boat. Too many horror stories out there!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
They all think they are pro's and most of them are cons!
Well said
Old 09-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

List it in the oso classifieds; it works...
Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

Mike:

The oil can man has given you great advice. My opinions are biased since I own a dealership in Florida. So, take them for what they are worth.

1. our best source of buyers comes from the traffic that drives by our facility. We have 60,000 cars per day go by. Most have more than one adult in the car. I would recommend that you choose a broker that has a physical location with high traffic.

2. Our next best source is our internet advertising. We employ a reasonably sophisticated search engine optimization, coupled with keyword pay per click. So, in addition to a high traffic location, choose a broker with internet advertising savvy.

3. Buying season is just about to begin in Southwest Florida. Your market is not all that different than ours. Once you have nailed down #1 and #2 above, give it some time to work.

Best of luck in your sale. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Tom
Old 09-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
Well said
Good one!
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice...just what I was looking for. My boat is at the dealer getting the stereo repaired and new throttles from Lavorsi because some type of brown electrical grease stained the white throttles...plus a full polis-wax and detail. I will pick it back up this Sunday and take pictures in detail and do the OSO classified add again.

I love the Fountain 38TE...awesome boat but my interests have changed and I just do not want a boat this expensive anymore. My wife and I want to downsize and get back to the size of our last boat which was a 33/36 Concept. I'd get another Fountain in a heartbeat but they do not make anything in this size with a cuddy. Thinking about the 35ZF Donzi or something even smaller 28-32' CC.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Only sold a boat once and it was with no broker.

Based upon my experience as a buyer I would say that a broker has more cons than pros.

Pros
They do all the work for you
They may be able to get you a higher price

Cons
Most brokers really don't know that much about the used boat they are selling. The don't ask don't tell BS is way out of hand. Most brokers I talk to don't tell me anything about the boat except for the mere basics. As a buyer I call that a red flag. When I see a boat for sale I automatically assume the worst until I hear otherwise. If they don't tell me anything then I assume that theres nothing good about the boat and I'm on to the next one.
Lots of brokers are crooks. It doesn't take much reading on OSO to figure that out.
The 5-10% commision sucks.
I'm guessing that the broker will not take as good of care of your boat than you will and if the boat sits on his lot for a couple months.

Selling on your own
Cons - sometimes it takes up a lot of time dealing with test drives and phone calls. If your a busy person you may not have that kind of time.
Tirekickers
You have to do everything
You have to pay for everything

Pros
You get to inform your buyers of everything good about your boat.
Always fun to meet another powerboat enthusiast.
You get to keep driving your boat when ever you want.
The boat stays clean and in ship shape.

If you want something done right - do it yourself.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Mike's boat is a 10 out of a 10 - Guaranteed - we all know how picky he is.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

List it yourself. You have to either raise your price to cover their 5-10% or take less then you wanted. Either way it raises the price in the eyes of the prospective buyer. Before I bought my Apache I tried very hard to make a deal on a brokered boat but the price was just a little too high. If I could have delt with the owner I would have bought it. Also broker was not very good with communication. And I will not mention any names but he is supposed to be a "respected" broker in the eyes of a lot of oso members
Old 09-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks again for all the advice. The boat will stay with me at my house. No way it is going on some brokers lot. I would put it on a boat dealers lot whom I trust and was getting my new boat from but I have not really found a dealer yet.

Quick Reply: Listing with a Broker Pro's & Con's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.