Like Tree0Likes

Key West Poker Run

Reply
Old 09-15-2007, 03:12 AM
  #61
Registered
 
LostCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Okie from Muskogee
My Boats: 39TG, Lip Ship of course!
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistank View Post
Dude, Brad, when you're Mr. FPC Safety Guruu Coast Guard God you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. I'm just trying dial things in a bit!

And as long as you show up to the dock with a cold beer in your hand for me, you can do whatever you want.
Don't forget he's a speed racer too. A little hard on the equipment though; I hear that's why they put him in an aluminum boat at LOTO?
LostCowboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
  #62
Registered
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Houston, Tx
My Boats: 2010, Active Thunder, 37 Excess
Posts: 405
Default

Im also in on the fun runs, I believe there is one on saturday with FPC.

Leave some info on who to contact or times that we need to meet and where..

Jim Kirkland said there is a run around the island in the evening that is awsome...

Thanks for all the hospitality guys....
JeffC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:05 AM
  #63
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Anywhere from the Laguna Madre to JAX and beyond
My Boats: glasstream
Posts: 1,259
Default

I'm curious as to why I never hear of anyone running outside around Key Biscayne and Ocean Reef/Key Largo down to Holiday Isle or Sunshine/Marathon when it's not big other than to go to Gilberts.
Seems it would be faster with not so many bridges and slowing in the mangrove channels for the fisherment.
chuckbeecher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:48 AM
  #64
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Albany NY
My Boats: 54' Searay, 31' Rinker, 12' AB Inflatible CC
Posts: 5,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbeecher View Post
I'm curious as to why I never hear of anyone running outside around Key Biscayne and Ocean Reef/Key Largo down to Holiday Isle or Sunshine/Marathon when it's not big other than to go to Gilberts.
Seems it would be faster with not so many bridges and slowing in the mangrove channels for the fisherment.
Ive done that route many time. Its simple why they dont go that route. Its boring and not a scenic. Id agree with you that its the most direct but looking at shore from 3-4 mile out can get boring for everyone on the boat. You can do Miami to KW in 2-3 hours if you wanted, but thats not what the run is all about
otis311 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:19 PM
  #65
OSO
Super Moderator
VIP Member
 
OSO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
My Boats: I like them all!!
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis311 View Post
Ive done that route many time. Its simple why they dont go that route. Its boring and not a scenic. Id agree with you that its the most direct but looking at shore from 3-4 mile out can get boring for everyone on the boat. You can do Miami to KW in 2-3 hours if you wanted, but thats not what the run is all about

In addition to that, there is a reef out there a couple miles off and if you are not familiar with the water and the tide is low you can get yourself in trouble. It appears to be wide open water and you can head to the Bahamas but the reef can be hiding just inches below what appears to be very deep water. You have to keep in Hawks Channel and people that run without a GPS have to keep an eye on the markers that are very spread apart. On the inside other than Featherbed bank you barely need a GPS.

Hawks Channel is also for the large Boats as they can not run the inside (too shallow) so many times during the run you have to pull back for those 10-12 foot wakes.

I remember a certain boat on the Key West run that got in to trouble heading for the open water and crossed the reef, pictures can be found in the bloopers section of the Photos section of the site.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/gallery/...o.php?photo=15
OSO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:33 PM
  #66
Registered
 
boater31v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alton, IL
Posts: 644
Default

For those of you that normally do the Thursday run, approximately what time could I expect to see the first boat in Key West. I ask because I will there taking photos of all you as you come in.

Thanks
boater31v is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 PM
  #67
Registered
 
thisistank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Channel Islands, So. Cal.
My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988
Posts: 10,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater31v View Post
For those of you that normally do the Thursday run, approximately what time could I expect to see the first boat in Key West. I ask because I will there taking photos of all you as you come in.

Thanks
You do take great pics! Here's a couple you took of us in 05. I think the group gets there around 1-2 or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Key West Poker Run-71975461_yib4axzf.jpg   Key West Poker Run-72011357_tnjbhsov.jpg  
thisistank is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:57 PM
  #68
Registered
 
boater31v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alton, IL
Posts: 644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistank View Post
I think the group gets there around 1-2 or so.
Thanks man, look forward to it.
boater31v is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM
  #69
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member
 
Cash Bar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the way to a PR near you
My Boats: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Conceot CC t/275VRods
Posts: 11,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistank View Post
You do take great pics! Here's a couple you took of us in 05. I think the group gets there around 1-2 or so.
Were you drunk? Gilberts about noon. Usually see the first boats in KW about 4 ....most about 5 or after. If you look at most peoples pics you can see the sun is pretty far down on the horizon.
__________________
Your OSO connection to great S. Florida Real Estate.
www.gregsellswaterfront.com
Cash Bar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:07 PM
  #70
Registered
 
thisistank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Channel Islands, So. Cal.
My Boats: Making the best in the industry BETTER for over 25 years...... Lip-Ship Performance 305-933-9988
Posts: 10,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Bar View Post
Were you drunk? Gilberts about noon. Usually see the first boats in KW about 4 ....most about 5 or after. If you look at most peoples pics you can see the sun is pretty far down on the horizon.
LMAO!!! Yea, I guess I was pretty drunk! Alright, you're right. About 4-5 I guess I just thought it was earlier with getting the boats docked, unloading the luggage and getting checked in and it still being light out....Shiiiiiiit, it was all a big blur!!
thisistank is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
XtremePowerboats.com
General Boating Discussion
3
10-15-2008 04:32 PM
Hot Duck
General Boating Discussion
22
09-23-2008 11:13 AM
underpressure
General Boating Discussion
2
11-03-2007 12:14 PM
Laketrash.com
Poker Runs and Boating Events
4
10-01-2007 03:52 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.