Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families >

Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families

Notices

Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families

Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 3,081 Likes on 1,002 Posts

If you were not fortunate enough to be able to attend…Today nearly 300 people crammed into, what normally would've been a large yacht club to pay respect and remember Tom. The enlarged photos of Tom and the kids complimented the line of bouquets perfectly. A wonderful soundtrack, fantastic photos from Toms life and brilliant video of Tom and the boys entwined into the perfectly thought out power point that brought everyone in attendance closer to Tom.

Family and close friends stood and told stories of remembrance of the times with Tom. A common thread of the stories told was that Tom was an exceptional father, friend and co-worker with a wonderful sense of humor and overwhelming love for life and those who were lucky enough to have enjoyed it with him. All those that stood and spoke made every person in attendance smile, laugh and fight back watery eyes, all at the same time as the stories were told. Bob Teague was the last to speak and gave a heartfelt account of his working and personal relationship with Tom and a first hand account of what happened that day while fighting back well earned tears.

A young man that had grown close to Tom while living next to him in Manhattan Beach and became close friends with Toms sons summed it up perfectly during his speech, Tom is gone physically but will always remain in our hearts and soles.

By the way there is another account set up for Toms sons to help with their impending college fund.

Wells Fargo Bank
310-545-4062
3110 N. Sepulveda Blvd.
Manhattan Beach, Ca. 90266

Ref account #'s:

Weston Newby # 600-5649090
William Newby # 600-5649215

Last edited by thisistank; 09-19-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still cannot believe he is gone, it always seems so unreal that something like this even happens. I am so happy that the others involved escaped unharmed, this could have been even more horrible than it already is. I feel very privileged to have even met him and to have had him hang out on a skid to shoot me the one time he did, You will never be forgotten Tom.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:26 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Remembering you today Tom Newby...
Godspeed

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 524 Posts

Wow, can't believe it's been 10 years.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 3,081 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Time Flies...I know Tom continues to be in the hearts of those that loved him and were close to him and it's very nice this thread (and others) pop up each year to remember him.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Never got a chance to meet Tom Newby but his great photography gave me years of enjoyment.

RIP, Tom

Padraig
Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 750 Likes on 403 Posts

Met him at the docks at Shooters 21 at the Shootout that year. Great guy.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Tom was a character. Jason Johnson and I both spent a lot of time on the road with him back in our Powerboat magazine days, and we still talk about him all the time. He was a joy and a pain to work with, he was flexible and reasonable and rigid and irrational and always, and I mean always, fun to hang out with. He had a low threshold for BS, hated, and I mean hated, to talk about photography and was one of the smartest, funniest and warmest guys I've ever known. Tom was unique.

Tom was a master in getting and doing things his way. At Powerboat, we used to call it getting "Newbied" when he charmed or browbeat you—and he was expert at both—into doing thing his way, which more often than not was the better way. He had strong opinions, but was willing to listen to calm and rational arguments of opposing viewpoints. But pity the fool who did not have his or her argument together. Tom, as the saying goes, did not suffer fools gladly.

I wish he were around to see Speedonthewater.com. He would, of course, have a millions ideas—none constrained by budget—of what we could do better (and most of those ideas would be excellent). But I like to think he'd be proud of what two of his old Powerboat friends and colleagues, a couple of guys who loved him to death, have done since he left us.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 09-11-2017 at 02:12 PM.