An Offshore Performance R.I.B.? >

An Offshore Performance R.I.B.?

Notices

An Offshore Performance R.I.B.?

Old 09-20-2007, 05:05 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remembered seeing some type on the channel under Kemah bridge running around Clear Lake/Galveston Bay back in August.
Had powder coated arch and large Merc. outboard and a step bottom.
Size appeared to be in the mid 20's also.

Last edited by chuckbeecher; 09-20-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Have ya seen these built by Jim Dyke and his team in Ohio?

Pretty nice stuff and with his success in Racing both in the USA and accross the pond I'd feel very comfortable in anything they build. Notice even the carbon fiber Dash panels

http://airshipribs.com/

History link talks about him and his partners a little bit.

Jon
Old 09-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Michael are you the same person who was looking for Powerboat Mags a few months ago????? When I was involved
with Team Scarab here in SoCal we developed a line of RIB
boats called "SCARIB" it had NO connection to Wellcraft so I
beleive they are still around.
I also Rerigged a old Navy seal 33 rib for a Movie Film Group
im involved with www.cinemarineteam.com
Oh I never got a email back about the powerboats so I gave
them to the local Marine Base. Mike J.
You're kidding? I know we exchanged some emails regarding the Powerboat Mags, but I the last I heard you were going to your ranch to get them. Well, that's about par for my luck. (Where's that head banging avatar when you need it?)

Mike, thanks for the offer, and trying to contact me anyway. It's much appreciated.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 09-21-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Registered

Michael1 I sent 1 box with my neighbor who is heading back to
IRAQ, Its very boring at times and anything that can be done
for those guys I will do, I still have another box, Will you be
in LongBeach "Scope".

DMOORE Darrel, You might send a message to the owner of
Cinemarentals His name is Jim AKA "frogmanjp" He is always
looking for Operators for Both Boats and Diveing, He is big into
Hand Signels above and under the water.
I will be 70 this Nov. And my body is falling apart, Were you
ever at the dive locker at the base in Ventura?? Mike J.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Michael1 I sent 1 box with my neighbor who is heading back to
IRAQ, Its very boring at times and anything that can be done
for those guys I will do, I still have another box, Will you be
in LongBeach "Scope". Mike J.
The guys in Iraq deserve those magazines WAY more than I do.
I was planning on going to the SCOPE event (although don't have a ride yet), but the guys in Iraq should get the second box, too. I'll send you an email so we can say hello.

Michael
Old 09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

DMOORE Darrel, You might send a message to the owner of
Cinemarentals His name is Jim AKA "frogmanjp" He is always
looking for Operators for Both Boats and Diveing, He is big into
Hand Signels above and under the water.
I will be 70 this Nov. And my body is falling apart, Were you
ever at the dive locker at the base in Ventura?? Mike J.

I'd love to play around a bit, but my businesses keep me a bit too busy. I've been up to Ventura but only as a staging area for ops out of there. Never been to the locker.

Darrell.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

I had the opportunity to spend a couple hours aboard this Revenger 29 (30') rigged with an Ilmor 625 and and IMCO drive package Sunday.

We decided to take advantage of the relatively rough conditions and went outside to see how it handles 5' - 7' offshore conditions. All I can say is WOW! The boat tracked perfectly through the slop with minimal pounding and a COMPLETELY DRY ride, not one drop of water inside the boat or on the passengers.

Performance was impressive with nice re-entry and absolutely no flexing. The boat flies pretty much level and handles quartering seas without a hitch. The tube seems to provide a surface that rights the boat whenever you get pitched left or right and absorbs a decent amount of energy on re-entry, especially if you aren't running directly into or with the seas. It was the levelest ride I've had in those conditions in a 30' boat. The boat road and handled like a much larger boat. In fact, at one point, running in quartering seas at about 50 mph I looked over and Bruce didn't even have his hands on the wheel. The boat simply goes where you point it and is one of the easiest boats to drive in these conditions.

Inside we did some speed and handling runs. The boat is still being dialed in so they haven't reached top speed but under less than ideal conditions with 3 men and 3/4 tank of fuel the boat was solidly into the upper 80's on GPS. The boat runs best with the drive level, over trim provides no advantage on this hull. With the motor trimmed level it pops out of the hole with minimal bow rise so you don't have to tuck it in to get out of the hole It's one of the few performance boats I've been on that doesn't require constant attention to trim. Another interesting thing, it actually ran 2 mph FASTER with me on board than it did the day before with only 2 people. The Ilmor package is between 200 - 300 lbs lighter than the diesel package the UK boats are rigged with so they are still working out the COG. As odd as it may sound they might need to add 200 lbs to the rear of the boat to hit their 90 mph target. A more permanent solution may be to reposition the rear fuel tank. A high performance boat that goes faster with more weight. I wonder how THAT would play in weight restrictedly racing classes

Handling was very good with 50 - 70 mph turns carving a nice arc with no significant slip. This ventilated hull tracks and handles like the best traditional deep V's.

As for construction the boat is perfectly finished, rivaling some of the best construction I've ever seen. The engine compartment is sealed and the deck is self bailing. You could punch a hole in the bottom and take on enough water so the only thing holding the boat up is the tube and it will still run. At speed the hull will self bail like a modern fishing boat. Try that in a traditional offshore boat......

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the day. I know RIB's are very popular everywhere except in the US AND that the performance boat market has never seen anything like this so they have an up hill battle but for someone looking for something different it's worth a look.

I'll get the disclaimer out of the way, I have no affiliation with GB Performance Marine although I am a longtime friend and customer of Bruce Baker and Express Engines. Bruce is a partner in GB Performance Marine and is responsible for the rigging and setup.

Last edited by mjw930; 12-04-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Registered

Didn't Nemschoff race one of Fabio Buzzi's in APBA?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the Cougar R8 and the Airship are the same boat ... Cougar even shows the pic of the Airship from the Cleveland boat show ... I got pretty drunk there with all the usual suspects , and probably annoyed the **** outta Jimmy Dyke , but he was gratious as I spilled beer on his display , and tried to sound liek I knew what I was talking about !??!?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Nemschoff did race fabio's boats in APBA ,in super V then in A class but the boats were not RIBs. They did set a couple endurance records with one of fabio's Ribs, with twin seatek diesels.

Quick Reply: An Offshore Performance R.I.B.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.