Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Hi Chuck,

Who has Steve at AT known for years ?

Cougarman
Old 01-12-2002, 12:00 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve knew them I believe back when they were C&G and I have been with Steve with Randy Garciga at Poker Runs 3or4 years ago and I've been to the cobra shop and was impressed. They built some engines for a friends Cafe..The only problem I have seen with custom motors, no matter who they are built by, is if there is a problem they have to go back to their shop. A lot of down time. At least with Merc the problem can be fixed with a phone call and Fed Ex usuallyBut custom motorsd have made friends boats really run, look good and sound great!!!! Just my 2cents!
Old 01-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

In my conversations with Randy, he told me the engines do not have to be serviced or repaired back at his shop in Fla. He has shops all around that can do his work. He also said that he will fed ex out any parts that are needed next day if needed. He told me he stands behind his engines and gave me his home number and cell phone number to call with any questions.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:45 PM
GOT MERC?

Wink

Hey Cougarman,
Take a look at my profile, I deal with almost every engine builder in South Florida. Tommy is AWESOME! Down to earth and doesn't pull any punches. Builds awesome product for the price!
T-BONE RULES!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2002, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't claim to know anything about the builders but I did notice a few years back when IN-XS was racing and had C&G's they broke them a lot ! I don't know why ,driver or builder ,who knows .But also noticed several others at that time with motors from C&G had a lot of problems . Again ,I am not blaming the builder .I don't know why they broke .

I have been told to ,and agree with using a local builder . (If you can find one you trust ), THat way if you have problems you can get local help .You don't have to haul the boat to florida every time it needs something . Also if they do screw ya it's easier to hand your hands around their neck !! I am in the same "boat" . I need motors redone and can't figure out who I trust . I get good reports and bad reports on the same people from every one .And it is all first hand experience . I broke a motor around August and still haven't done anything about it because I don't trust anybody . I have done a lot of motors for race cars and street rods in the past and used a lot of big name people around me and they all sucked ! MY last street rod had 4 motors in 2500 miles ! Sure he kept fixing it but why ? And of course there was always something I had to pay for !

If anyone knows of a perfect machine shop in the north east ,please tell me !

THanks
Old 01-12-2002, 01:06 PM
GOT MERC?

Wink

Hey Boot,
Look at my previous post you should consider some of those builders in joisy.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
I had G&G motors in 2 different Apache's, and loved them. Raced their 572" blower motors in 1990-1, and never broke one.
I did change to Carolina Racing for rebuilds, but only because Smitty was alot less expensive than Randy. Later switched to Merc 1000's, because of a sponsor deal, and blew one in the first race in Key West.
Merc stood behind their product, but so did C&G.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:53 PM
ssherman

My .02 is look at what is on the race boats and doing well. It is hard to argue with checkered flags and finished races. Zinetex, Drambuie,Virgin,DonQ.

My choice is a merc or if i go for something extra i re-search and choose a custom builder close by as to avoid the down time of shipping motors across the country.

Old 01-12-2002, 03:18 PM
ScreaminDemon

ApachePete - Great to hear from someone with "actual" hands on EXPERIENCE.

Old 01-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks APACHEPETE, anyone else out there with simuliar experiences, apprieciate the info.

Quick Reply: Ever installed or ran Cobra Power Motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.