Notices

Boat Too Loud...

Old 10-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anger Manage: what lake did you get busted on?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
There are a couple ways that they test you, but the most common one is the 1 meter stick test.

I was lucky enough to get tested on Lake George, NY last summer when I backed into the public docks adn my exhaust bouncing off the seawall triggered the rent-a-cops to come over. The guy explained how everything works and said that the test is done at idle and that you have to wait 30 seconds after starting up the boat to get all teh water cycling through. Then they take a meter stick, put it to the back of your transom and attach the DB meter at the end. I have a stock engine/exhaust but still pulled 95.1(limit is 90.0) on the DB meter and got a $50 ticket.

Thats not a proper test. Its measuring the echo created by the back of the dock and seawall also. I highly doubt you were even over the 86db.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Ask to see the calibration records of the test equipment.
And also ask if the particular unit is traceable with NIST standards?
The meter they used should also have a sticker or label on it showing the last date of calibration, and when it is next due to be calibrated.

Use that in court. he does not have to show you the meter any more than a land cop has to show you a radar reading.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ok

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
The Sound Elimination Mufflers work great. They usually wont even look at you honestly. Quieter than a stock 502 with through transom pipeS!!!
hi there . will you refund my money if they fail the test 598 dry to the tips . i need muffs too
Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RMPRam
Here is what I did to my 38 Cigarette w/PSI blower motors to quiet it down. The 2 things that I believe helped the most for this instillation are 1) the exhaust points down and is under water @ idle and 2) all 4 of the pipes are between the drives which helps greatly for "noise" going to the sides.
I tried air activated mufflers with "down pipes" with limited success. The trouble with that type of muffler is that the butterfly cannot completely close off the exhaust from around it's circumference, otherwise it will "stick" in the bore when you shut it. Puting "caps" on the ends to eliminate the "leakage" worked great to pass the test, but you didn't want to run the boat at more than part throttle with that resistance to the flow of the exhaust.
If I can be of any further help, either e-mail me or give me a call. I'm in Minneapolis, Mn.

Gary
Ph: 763-473-8963

Gary nice set up

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Registered

We conduct all of our testing to the J2005 standards. California just adopted the J2005 noise regulations a couple of years ago. The development of the J2005 noise law is the reason we started making mufflers. The post that describes the method of testing for J2005 is correct. The Dana tips you have in your boat with a 496 HO will be right at 86db's with the test conducted properly.

Just for your information, a 496 HO is only 93-94 db's with no mufflers installed. Who ever conducted the test most likely had the noise meter set incorrectly. Not only does the machine need to be set on the slow setting, but it needs to be on the "A" scale. Most likely he had it set on the "C" scale. "C" scale is extremely sensetive and will raise the db's significantly.

Unfortuntaley, I have first hand experience with law enforcement on this issue, and not to generalize law enforcement officials, but the guys we delt with didn't have a clue of how to use the meter or how to administer the J2005 test.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

This is all great information to help fight a ticket.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Downtown 42, He was stopped on Green Lake, the cop said the property owners bought the decibel meters for them, go figure! Steve

Last edited by 509 SC; 10-04-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Registered

bummer, tnks.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Registered

Here's Florida's:

The 2007 Florida Statutes

Title XXIV
VESSELS Chapter 327
VESSEL SAFETY View Entire Chapter

327.65 Muffling devices.--

(1) The exhaust of every internal combustion engine used on any vessel operated on the waters of this state shall be effectively muffled by equipment so constructed and used as to muffle the noise of the exhaust in a reasonable manner. The use of cutouts is prohibited, except for vessels competing in a regatta or official boat race, and for such vessels while on trial runs.

(2)(a) Any county wishing to impose additional noise pollution and exhaust regulations on vessels may, pursuant to s. 327.60(1), adopt by county ordinance the following regulations:

1. No person shall operate or give permission for the operation of any vessel on the waters of any county or on a specified portion of the waters of any county, including the Florida Intracoastal Waterway, which has adopted the provisions of this section in such a manner as to exceed the following sound levels at a distance of 50 feet from the vessel: for all vessels, a maximum sound level of 90 dB A.

2. Any person who refuses to submit to a sound level test when requested to do so by a law enforcement officer is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(b) The following words and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in this subsection.

1. "dB A" means the composite abbreviation for the A-weighted sound level and the unit of sound level, the decibel.

2. "Sound level" means the A-weighted sound pressure level measured with fast response using an instrument complying with the specification for sound level meters of the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or its successor bodies, except that only a weighting and fast dynamic response need be provided.

History.--s. 7, ch. 59-400; s. 11, ch. 63-105; s. 1, ch. 65-361; s. 5, ch. 86-35; s. 47, ch. 91-224.

Note.--Former s. 371.56.

Quick Reply: Boat Too Loud...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.