Like Tree0Likes

450HP....pros & cons....

Reply
Old 10-03-2007, 03:50 PM
  #21
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
crb76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston, TX
My Boats: Boatless in Htown
Posts: 1,140
Default

Water reversion was a cam issue on the 465HP. I never heard of it on the 450HP. If there was an issue it was either cam or vertical drop of the pipes from the elbow to the tip. Dry exhaust cures all of it. My dad, chuckbeecher would know how complicated it is to install dry.
crb76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:02 PM
  #22
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,756
Default

[QUOTE=Shallow Minded;2293908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I had to replace my Gils on the Pantera at 8 years old. The manifolds had internal hairline cracks. QUOTE]

Do you think any of that was due to saltwater use? I guess, in a broader context, what is the expected lifespan of an exhaust package?

Could be, but I do know that the previous owner always flushed well. The cracks were at the dividers at the tops of the manifolds just below where the risers connect. Most people get 8-10 yeras out of Gils from what I have read.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:32 PM
  #23
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Anywhere from the Laguna Madre to JAX and beyond
My Boats: glasstream
Posts: 1,259
Default

I felt the cam on the 465 was a little radical. Just stand next or behind one and reminded me of being up close and personal with a Nascar motor.
Doller also felt it was the drop to the transom.
Again, dry solved everything except noise.
We had no laws regarding it in Texas.
But i do remember a digruntled group at Shades on Lake Travis and flying bowls or salsa!!
But we were told to leave Broward County when the boat had wet.
They are just Bad Azz sounding.
If noise laws will be a problem for you I'd try some "cans" on the back.
A another friend had triple 465's in a Scarab with dry and no problems.
The Gills were O.K. but I'd change to some type of tubes or Stainless Marine. Gills are so old school.
By the way ours had little pisser tubes out the transom for each side of the exhaust on each engine.

Last edited by chuckbeecher; 10-03-2007 at 08:35 PM.
chuckbeecher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:09 PM
  #24
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saucier/Gulfport, MS
My Boats: 1998 Sonic 26 Prowler 525SC (updated to a ZOOMY 600hp)
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I had to replace my Gils on the Pantera at 8 years old. The manifolds had internal hairline cracks. He may have changed to the newer style HP500 risers which should eliminate any reversion.

Got any current engine pics???
Here is a pic of the engines, are these the taller version of the Gils?

Attachment 301766

Last edited by rangerrick63; 06-27-2010 at 11:13 AM.
rangerrick63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:10 PM
  #25
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saucier/Gulfport, MS
My Boats: 1998 Sonic 26 Prowler 525SC (updated to a ZOOMY 600hp)
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbeecher View Post
I felt the cam on the 465 was a little radical. Just stand next or behind one and reminded me of being up close and personal with a Nascar motor.
Doller also felt it was the drop to the transom.
Again, dry solved everything except noise.
We had no laws regarding it in Texas.
But i do remember a digruntled group at Shades on Lake Travis and flying bowls or salsa!!
But we were told to leave Broward County when the boat had wet.
They are just Bad Azz sounding.
If noise laws will be a problem for you I'd try some "cans" on the back.
A another friend had triple 465's in a Scarab with dry and no problems.
The Gills were O.K. but I'd change to some type of tubes or Stainless Marine. Gills are so old school.
By the way ours had little pisser tubes out the transom for each side of the exhaust on each engine.
Sounds like an awsome set-up, I may have to look into something like that. Coming from street rodding & drag racing....I love that sound....LOL....
rangerrick63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:58 PM
  #26
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick63 View Post
Here is a pic of the engines, are these the taller version of the Gils?

Attachment 301766
Those are still the older style risers. They are most likely fine. I'm sure the owner ould have posted here if was having issues.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 AM
  #27
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saucier/Gulfport, MS
My Boats: 1998 Sonic 26 Prowler 525SC (updated to a ZOOMY 600hp)
Posts: 497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Those are still the older style risers. They are most likely fine. I'm sure the owner ould have posted here if was having issues.
I appreciate the input, I'm definetly, very intrested in this boat. The owner has been quite upfront with me, & I'm sure if it was still an issue, he would let me know.
I just had not heard of these engines, & wanted to learn a bit about them. It seems, after reading thru all the input, they are a good, reliable engine, & as with any engine, ya gotta do the maintenance to keep em running .
rangerrick63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 PM
  #28
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,756
Default

A 32 with the the HP450's should run in the 75-76mph range.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
BOATMAN302
General Q & A
10
01-25-2008 11:46 AM
selfmade
General Q & A
4
03-30-2006 09:49 PM
wstultz
General Q & A
20
01-03-2006 01:20 PM
Brian Crane
General Boating Discussion
8
10-07-2002 03:33 PM
johnnyboatman
General Q & A
2
08-11-2002 12:24 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.