Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
East vs. West - Boat Builders >

East vs. West - Boat Builders

Notices

East vs. West - Boat Builders

Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha ha ha! I'll admit, I saw a 39 GTX at the Scope Poker Run and man that thing was pure sex!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered

BEST = Relative term
Old 10-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Masher,
Kinda seems that way to me also. Seems to me that most boaters in CA or AZ head to the Big lakes to boat, not the ocean, except for Phantom Chaos!
Dean
Hey, Norty isn't the only one out there!

My boat was made in Ohio so does that make it East Coast?

I pretty much agree on this one though. Even Eliminators new 43 has a pretty low freeboard. They did say they were going to make a raised deck version though. I guess the market out here is just bigger for lake boats. Not sure why more people don't run in the ocean. I'm always trying to get boats out there but I guess the lake party scene is just more popular. Personally, I'd rather be jumping 4 to 5's @ 60 MPH than sitting in the channel getting loaded!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

Skater = Great Lakes and MTI built in mid west but designed based off East Coast experience....
Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Registered

You know its funny that there isn't any west coast guys building a real west coast style ocean boat. I do think that there are critical differences between ocean boating in the Atlantic (FLA) and Pacific. Colder tempratures (air and water, generally) the wind and the mixed seas we see out here seem to dictate something with higher freeboard, a deeper cockpit and more passenger protection.

Come to think of it, the old Eddy Morenz Nu-Era 38s are a probably pretty close to perfect example of a west coast ocean boat. Shame they only built 3 of them! (And no Sean, that doesn't mean I'm buying yours!)

Last edited by Dude! Sweet!; 10-09-2007 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Wan't paying attention and called that monster Nu-era a lake boat... Meant ocean boat.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's simple, builders build what people want. Most Hot boats out here run in Mead, Powell and Havasu. The ocean boating scene is nowhere as friendly to high performance boats as the south east. There are most likely more boating destinations in 10 square miles of South Florida ,than there is in all of southern California. With a very rocky coastline, pulling up and beaching is non-existant. It's hard to hang out unless your in a large port.
As for the sea state, I ll disagree about no big water out here. There is a reason surfing is so popular on the west coast. As a former SEAL I can tell you it's not uncommon to see 10-15ft swells offshore. That's rough for any boat, including 180FT Partol Coastals.

Darrell.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BajaFresh
Hey, Norty isn't the only one out there!

My boat was made in Ohio so does that make it East Coast?
Nope. Since your boat was built in Buckrus, Ohio, which is on the west coast of Lake Erie, that makes yours a West Coast boat.

I pretty much agree on this one though. Even Eliminators new 43 has a pretty low freeboard. They did say they were going to make a raised deck version though. I guess the market out here is just bigger for lake boats. Not sure why more people don't run in the ocean. I'm always trying to get boats out there but I guess the lake party scene is just more popular. Personally, I'd rather be jumping 4 to 5's @ 60 MPH than sitting in the channel getting loaded!
Is that why you moved from Ventura County to the Lake Mead area?

Michael
Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Spectre just moved west but started on the right coast. That counts right?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Not sure why more people don't run in the ocean.
My guess would be because the west coast doesn't have as much inner coastal bays like the east.

The ocean is fun but I see most people blast out of the inlet, go for a run then come back in and hang out somewhere on the "inside". It's not much fun sitting still in the ocean.

As far as the boats...I do like Warlocks and Lavey's. But, most of the boats I like are east coast boats.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

The east coast is where it's at.