Notices

28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity

Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89
If you purchased each of the boats (in a single engine configuration) at a good price then I'd venture to guess that the Pantera would be easiest to sell (from NJ). Since you buy and sell boats in a similar fashion as you do cars, selling the package should be a key factor in deciding which v-hull to pursue.

I like all three manufacturers' mentioned (AT, Pantera & Velocity), but do you really believe that a 28' v-hull with stock power is going to fulfill your need for speed following your 30' Spectre?? ...food for thought.

Dan
Dan... nothing is going to compare to the fun factor of my Spectre...no doubt. my goals are this...ease of trailering (i dont live on the water),turn key reliability, comfortable ride in less than stellar water conditions, ease of re-sale (of course) and best overall perf is of course a factor. i've also checked out a couple 32 fever's 1 with twin 502's and the other with twin 350 mags. would love another outboard cat but dont want to deal with the lower unit issues or the fact that its not a comfy ride in the ocean in bigger than 2-4's as well as outta control insurance costs
Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The Velocity is designed to be a fast boat in flat water. The pad makes it that way, but its going to cost you rough water ride comfort, and I am willing to bet you don't see much rough water up there off the coast of New Jersey.

The Pantera is a true old school race and time tested design. No qualms about that. However, outside of a large cockpit for its size, the boat doesn't really have any creature comforts. The 500EFI is a great motor if you want to do HP mods, but I don't think that is a direction you want to go.

The AT is going to have a slightly smaller cockpit than the Pantera, and it will feel that way as well due to the freeboard of the AT. You are IN the boat, not ON it. This will lend to a more secure feel in rough water; and have a feel similar to your Formula. With the 525EFI, expect 73-75mph. The cabin is designed with headroom and comfort in mind; and a separate head.

Cosmic12, Boatfreak, and Commander112 can all share real world experience in the 28AT.
Cosmic had an identical boat with a 525EFI.
Commander112 has one with a 500EFI, that he just bought this summer and LOVES it. He has done some carbon fiber upgrades and the like, and it looks great. Its a wave crusher.
Boatfreak had his 28 for 6 years with a 496HO, and he has run all over the midwest including Lakes Michigan and Cumberland, all the way to the Florida Keys. Just this past January, he went with a party of 7 other boats which were all 33 and 37 ATs, and one 50' Hustler down to Key Largo and Islemoralda, which was 250 mile round trip. Not only did he not have any problems keeping up (with a 496HO mind you), but he had no issues when the water kicked up to 3-4s off of Key Biscayne.

BTW, OSO member 'risky' aka Vic is selling his 28AT (the one linked above) to get a bigger AT.
We sold Boatfreak's aka Mike's 28AT in two weeks this summer so he could move into his 37AT.

Good luck, and let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bernie, Bernie, Bernie "Stop playing with your dingy"!!!!

If you want a rock solid, reliable, rough water boat, this is your only choice!!!

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19149-en.html

You can see it being built here. What other manufacturerer would give you a public documentation of a build???

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=90021

I know Gary, the owner, and Rick and J.C. the builder. All are great people!!! Gary had a team of Merc people help dial in the boat, and has cared for the boat as if it was his child!!!! Rick is 100% focused on his work and as you can see from the build thread, he has a "crotch to chin hard on" about what he does!!!!!

Me and Hotboat ran 86 mph through 4' chop with no problems in my boat. Ask him what he thinks about the Y2K, He'll give you an honest answer.

Last edited by Pure Energy; 10-17-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Registered

Here are a couple of vids in my boat in 3'-4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTdbcNWim3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTiJJx5oKDg

Speeds were between 60 and 75
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're only going to run in Barnegat bay I'd just get the faster boat... If you're thinking about running the ocean get the Pantera...

The Velocity runs great as long as you keep it "on the pad" and don't "land it on its side." (actuall words from Steve himself).

Screw all this, get a 32 Activator.... http://media.putfile.com/JC-Patchogue
Old 10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
Bernie, Bernie, Bernie "Stop playing with your dingy"!!!!

If you want a rock solid, reliable, rough water boat, this is your only choice!!!

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o19149-en.html

You can see it being built here. What other manufacturerer would give you a public documentation of a build???

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=90021

I know Gary, the owner, and Rick and J.C. the builder. All are great people!!! Gary had a team of Merc people help dial in the boat, and has cared for the boat as if it was his child!!!! Rick is 100% focused on his work and as you can see from the build thread, he has a "crotch to chin hard on" about what he does!!!!!

Me and Hotboat ran 86 mph through 4' chop with no problems in my boat. Ask him what he thinks about the Y2K, He'll give you an honest answer.
That really is a great looking boat. Pure Energy, is your cabin finished, or has SuperBoat ever really nicely finished the cabin in a 30? I have been on Fast Eddie's boat. Its really sharp.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

one word """" pantera""""
Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
That really is a great looking boat. Pure Energy, is your cabin finished, or has SuperBoat ever really nicely finished the cabin in a 30? I have been on Fast Eddie's boat. Its really sharp.
Like a lot of small builders, Superboat builds them one at a time per order. My boat was built for race only and no ammenities in the cabin, not even a cushion. You could order one with a completed cabin with a sink, enclosed head (would be very tight) etc. etc. They can and will do whatever you want.

The Y2K is exciting to drive!!! It is a 7' beam and really eats up chop. Very lightweight and with 775 hp the XR drive has no issues. Also has a larger cockpit than my old 31 Sonic!

Is the Y2K "better" than the others??? I don't know, they are all a little different. All I know is the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up everytime I go out!! Anyone in the market for a single 30' should look real hard at the Y2K!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a little itch to trade up my TBred to a Single Pantera. I know it wont be AS FAST (SEEING AS IT NOW HAS A 900+ 572/10-71 in it) but love the style and the look im still in a tug of war here.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Between the 3 you listed it's a tough call between the Pantera and AT. As others have stated both are GREAT rough water boats. AT will probably be a little faster with equal power.

They have very different lines but both great looking in their own way. I want a 28 Pantera someday and the only thing that may sway me will be an AT.

Quick Reply: 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.