Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Need Advice - WTB New 2007 Authentic Rolex (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/171591-need-advice-wtb-new-2007-authentic-rolex.html)

Jigsaw89 10-21-2007 09:35 PM

Need Advice - WTB New 2007 Authentic Rolex

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,
I’m looking for advice with regard to buying a brand new 2007 authentic Rolex Submariner with 18 karat gold and stainless steel bracelet with blue face and bezel. The bezel also has 18 karat gold. I’m interested in this watch featuring the Chapter Series which has Rolex repeatedly inscribed on the small stainless rim just outside the blue dial with the serial number inscribed directly below the 6 o’clock mark. Pictured is the model I’m talking about (as copied from ebay). The pictured watch does not have the Chapter Series option.

I’ve checked my local jewelers and they’re not willing to discount the watch beyond 13% off MSRP. There must be a dealer out there that’s willing to discount deeper than 13%.

I checked ebay and found a broker out of NY that appears to offer the best deal. His username is topnotch-watch and has 100% feedback with 354 recorded sales. If you read the comments from those that have purchased from topnotch-watch, everyone has positive things to say. I spoke with him on the phone briefly & he claims to be an exclusive Rolex dealer with five of these watches in stock, but none with the Chapter Series option.

Would you trust an ebay seller in this type of sale? An internet or similar type purchase would also save 7% from not having to pay sales tax.

Would you have the watch professionally checked for authenticity upon receipt?

Would you attempt to purchase the watch from topnotch-watch by circumventing ebay and buy it direct by negotiating a further discount based on the savings from not being listed on ebay? A complete itemized list of exactly what is being included in the sale would have to be either emailed or faxed to me (contract) prior to the exchange of any money.

Can you recommend someone legit who can get me the new watch I want within the next few days at a competitive price?

Here’s a link to the watch as featured in one of the topnotch-watch auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Submariner...QQcmdZViewItem

Also notice that pictures of the same watch are being used for three of the topnotch-watch auctions.

I’m a real buyer who’s looking for advice.
Thanks!
Dan

McGary911 10-21-2007 09:45 PM

I have the same watch you're looking for. The only sub that has the RolexRolexRolex around the chapter ring at this time is the all 18K one. Where from Jersey are you from? I can point you in the right direction depending on where you want to shop. Most importantly, if you're going to buy from anyone but the dealer, you better be sure you know your stuff. The one on the ebay link looks good, but who's to say that's what they're sending you. It's too easy to get beat. That watch retails for a touch under 8. 13% discount from a dealer isn't too bad at all.

Jigsaw89 10-21-2007 09:57 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I hail from Bergen County, NJ. Ross & Simon's Jewelers in the Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus had the watch I want in stock with the inscribed Chapter ring. I'm by no means a watch expert, but I'm 100% certain I was not looking at the all 18k model (which looks fake to me).

I'm shopping in NY & NJ.
Thanks,
Dan

DENNYB 10-21-2007 10:02 PM

Try Martin Bender Jewelers in Valparasio Indiana. Ask for Martin. He has been a long time Rolex dealer and will deal. You will have to call information to get the phone number. He will send you one fed-ex if available..He did this for me 8 years ago.

dreamer 10-21-2007 10:03 PM

gold rolex?

ask reggie!!!!!!!!!

Jigsaw89 10-21-2007 10:07 PM

I'd only consult Reggie if I was into wearing B.A. Baracus neck bling! LOL

Originally Posted by dreamer (Post 2312930)
gold rolex?

ask reggie!!!!!!!!!

McGary911 10-21-2007 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89 (Post 2312918)
Thanks for the quick reply!

I hail from Bergen County, NJ. Ross & Simon's Jewelers in the Garden State Plaza Mall in Paramus had the watch I want in stock with the inscribed Chapter ring. I'm by no means a watch expert, but I'm 100% certain I was not looking at the all 18k model (which looks fake to me).

I'm shopping in NY & NJ.
Thanks,
Dan

Cool. First I've heard of that model (16613) showing up with the RRR on it. Rolex is moving toward that across the line. It's mostly an anti-counterfeiting detail. I was going to suggest a very reputable second hand (but brand new) dealer or 2 in monmouth county, but you're a bit north of there. If you're dead set on getting the RRR, you're going to be stuck shopping at an authorized dealer. unless you have a pre existing relationship with an AD, they're less likely to deal. Especially bigger outfits like Ben Bridges or Tourneu.

Good luck with your hunt. You'll realy like the watch, even if the 18k on the braclet is a scratch magnet.....:D

Jigsaw89 10-21-2007 10:51 PM

Thanks again, guys. The more I think about it the more it makes sense to purchase the watch from a reputable authorized dealer who has a physical retail presence within a reasonable distance from where I am. It's just too easy to get beat by a counterfeit.

crb76 10-21-2007 11:57 PM

I have some really good connections in the wholesale market. I am a collector and buy at the lowest point someone can without buying in bulk. If you want me to check around send me a PM. If you buy right it is a good investment, if you buy 13% back of retail you will loose a bit, but that is ok to some.

The last two SS/ 18K Blue dial Subs like that I had, D serial, I paid about $5500-$5700 for them New In Box and Open papers, but I know they are now producing Z and there has been about a 7% increase on price since the two I had.

Clark

Chris Sunkin 10-22-2007 08:18 AM

The downside of the SS/gold Sub is that's the most common style of knockoff. Second is the SS/gold Datejust. Everyone copies it and most people who recognize it's a Rolex assume it's a fake.

I bought a SS Datejust w/ jubilee bracelet 25 years ago and wear it every day. Bought an Explorer I for casual/dress and an IWC for dress. I considered an SS Daytona but can't get past the absolute gouge price. Same for the all-gold. An ouce and a half of gold adds 10K to the price;)

Tom A. 10-22-2007 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought mine at Ross Simons in the Short Hills Mall. They discounted 10%. They also threw in a watch winder when I told them I was getting it for my birthday. Nice people and authorized Rolex repair.

THE BULL 10-22-2007 08:32 AM

I just bought a white faced yachtmaster.....so many have the sub. Not too many fakes that are based on the yachtmaster

corrado 10-22-2007 09:16 AM

try Bobby Klose, http://www.imagesontheweb.net/people.html owner of Images. He is a very repitable Rolex dealer. He sell on ebay too. So maybe he can be competive

http://www.imagesjewelers.com

BZ 10-22-2007 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 2312928)
Try Martin Bender Jewelers in Valparasio Indiana. Ask for Martin. He has been a long time Rolex dealer and will deal. You will have to call information to get the phone number. He will send you one fed-ex if available..He did this for me 8 years ago.

If You want ot use Martin Bender let me know I can check it out for you before they ship it.....BZ

LubeJobs42 10-22-2007 03:05 PM

If you or anyone need a Rolex call George Kovac. He had the purple and yellow 42 MTI. He can be reached at 305-530-1550. He has the best prices!!!! I bought few Masterpieces from him plus many others. Always beautiful watches at great prices. Tell him i said to call.

jeff1000man 10-22-2007 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89 (Post 2312896)
Hello All,
I’m looking for advice with regard to buying a brand new 2007 authentic Rolex Submariner with 18 karat gold and stainless steel bracelet with blue face and bezel. The bezel also has 18 karat gold. I’m interested in this watch featuring the Chapter Series which has Rolex repeatedly inscribed on the small stainless rim just outside the blue dial with the serial number inscribed directly below the 6 o’clock mark. Pictured is the model I’m talking about (as copied from ebay). The pictured watch does not have the Chapter Series option.

I’ve checked my local jewelers and they’re not willing to discount the watch beyond 13% off MSRP. There must be a dealer out there that’s willing to discount deeper than 13%.

I checked ebay and found a broker out of NY that appears to offer the best deal. His username is topnotch-watch and has 100% feedback with 354 recorded sales. If you read the comments from those that have purchased from topnotch-watch, everyone has positive things to say. I spoke with him on the phone briefly & he claims to be an exclusive Rolex dealer with five of these watches in stock, but none with the Chapter Series option.

Would you trust an ebay seller in this type of sale? An internet or similar type purchase would also save 7% from not having to pay sales tax.

Would you have the watch professionally checked for authenticity upon receipt?

Would you attempt to purchase the watch from topnotch-watch by circumventing ebay and buy it direct by negotiating a further discount based on the savings from not being listed on ebay? A complete itemized list of exactly what is being included in the sale would have to be either emailed or faxed to me (contract) prior to the exchange of any money.

Can you recommend someone legit who can get me the new watch I want within the next few days at a competitive price?

Here’s a link to the watch as featured in one of the topnotch-watch auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Submariner...QQcmdZViewItem

Also notice that pictures of the same watch are being used for three of the topnotch-watch auctions.

I’m a real buyer who’s looking for advice.
Thanks!
Dan

What is the model of the one in the pic? I have always loved that watch.

runafever 10-22-2007 03:32 PM

Call Gagan Navani at Elite time in Boston. www.elitetime.com Super guy to deal with. Very professional watch broker. You will be pleased.

RAF

ActiveFun 10-22-2007 03:33 PM

13% doesnt sound bad for a retail dealer.

runafever 10-22-2007 03:36 PM

BTW- I am on my 3rd or fourth piece with Elite Time. An associate of mine has spent over 50k in watches with him. The prices are far less than what you would find at Tourneau or any Jareds.

Jigsaw89 10-22-2007 04:51 PM

Thank you everyone for posting dealer info here and pm'ing me. I really do appreciate it! After careful consideration, I will be purchasing my new Rolex by week's end from a dealer within reasonable driving distance of my home in north NJ. The leads posted here from other parts of the country can likely help someone who's a bit more local than me. That's what's great about OSO. I'm sure I'm not the only guy out there that can benefit from this shared info.

I'll follow up this post with the results of my purchase.

Thanks again,
Dan

Magic Medicine 10-22-2007 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by DENNYB (Post 2312928)

I second that. My family has purchase 3 Rolexs from them over the last couple years and all have been a positive experience. I live about 20 minutes from them.

Spine Tingler 10-22-2007 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2313558)
If you or anyone need a Rolex call George Kovac. He had the purple and yellow 42 MTI. He can be reached at 305-530-1550. He has the best prices!!!! I bought few Masterpieces from him plus many others. Always beautiful watches at great prices. Tell him i said to call.

Geogre is the man!

B one 10-23-2007 10:31 PM

You don't always get what you pay for.

I have a rolex like the one you are talking about. I compaired my watch to the one for sale on ebay. I would say that watch is a fake. On the edge of the band it should be very smooth and solid, the ebay watch appears not to be solid nor smooth. The watch case where the band attaches does not appear to be solid and smooth ether. beware!!!

A new rolex should be something very special to reward yourself for a job well done. Don't cheapen the experience by trying to cut corners. Be proud that you have meet your mildstone or goal and go to your local jeweler and spend your money locally. That is how you made your money, people spent thier local money with you. It is a great experience, I will never forget my first Rolex. It only cost a little more to go first class.

God Bless You and Yours

blaniac 10-23-2007 10:42 PM

13% off is a very fair deal, if you want something cheap go get some other brand that won't be worth anywhere near what you paid or it in the future. Rolex dealers are monitored from what I understand and have strict limitations on discounting the product much if at all and a retailer runs the risk of losing the line if they get caught discounting more than they are supposed to or allowed to.

BradH 10-24-2007 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by B one (Post 2315329)
It only costs a little more to go first class.

So true.

blume 10-24-2007 12:21 AM

rolex

call Bobby Greene in Dallas...972-233-1181

Jigsaw89 10-24-2007 01:31 PM

I did the deal last night with a local authorized Rolex dealer in NJ. I received 15% off MSRP and should have it on my wrist by Friday. I'll post pics then.
Dan

allfiredup 10-24-2007 01:47 PM

I'm in the market for a white gold Daytona with the matte black face & red numbers. Who wants to deal. This will be Daytona #4 not sure why I need it but, I'm pretty sure I do.:cool:

DENNYB 10-24-2007 01:53 PM

At that discounted price,You got yourself a very good deal..
The mark up in Rolex's are not much at all for the jewelers.
The Rolex dealers make their money on Used Rolex trades and repairs.

berns29scarab 10-24-2007 02:03 PM

You can also try Gold Fever in Point PLeasant...ask for Baylum..tell him Bernie Neuhaus referred ya

berns29scarab 10-24-2007 02:05 PM

congrats...i've been looking for either a stainless n gold blue face sub or the special edition green face sub

DENNYB 10-24-2007 02:08 PM

You know fella"s, changing Rolex's is like changing boats.

thunderusone 10-24-2007 02:25 PM

I have bought two rolexes from Scott at Top Notch watch. One on ebay.....check the feedback from thunderusone. The other off of ebay that I just wired him the money. Both were perfect and authentic....with papers new in box! Saved me a bunch of money and tax vs buying local. I would not hesitate to buy from him again. I spent about $20K with him.

Joe92GT 10-24-2007 02:55 PM

Congrats on the new watch!

The two tone submariner is my favorite rolex too. Its a shame that it is the most copied. I think the all stainless ones look too plain and fake for the cash.

I have a Breitling chronograph, and am torn between the Navitimer and the rolex submariner for my next watch.

DENNYB 10-24-2007 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by thunderusone (Post 2316009)
I have bought two rolexes from Scott at Top Notch watch. One on ebay.....check the feedback from thunderusone. The other off of ebay that I just wired him the money. Both were perfect and authentic....with papers new in box! Saved me a bunch of money and tax vs buying local. I would not hesitate to buy from him again. I spent about $20K with him.

You have earned each others word and trust to continue..:ernaehrung004:

creeper 10-25-2007 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Joe92GT (Post 2316049)
Congrats on the new watch!

The two tone submariner is my favorite rolex too. Its a shame that it is the most copied. I think the all stainless ones look too plain and fake for the cash.

I have a Breitling chronograph, and am torn between the Navitimer and the rolex submariner for my next watch.

I'm a Breitling guy myself also,Really like the rolex's but to may copies floating around, I have personal seen real deal and copies side by side and these people have it down,Its hard to tell unless you know your watchs.

So far I have had my Breitling for ten years,only comes off for services.Its a great everyday plus watch,Have no experence with Rolex. Has anyone had both to compair brands since were on the watch subject.......This will help me in my next purchase.....

Jigsaw89 10-25-2007 12:02 PM

According to Bobby Hartgers of Hartgers Jewelers in Wyckoff, NJ, he feels Rolex is a finer built watch. He's an authorized dealer for Rolex, Breitling, Patek Philippe, Cartier, etc. and when I asked him which brand he would rather personally own he immediately said Rolex for the reason mentioned above. He also said he can pass along a better deal on a Breitling b/c there's more room to negotiate. Take it for what it's worth.

I personally like the looks of Breitling, but they are a bit too bulky for my wrist.
Dan

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 2317067)
So far I have had my Breitling for ten years,only comes off for services.Its a great everyday plus watch,Have no experence with Rolex. Has anyone had both to compair brands since were on the watch subject.......This will help me in my next purchase.....

alindquist 10-25-2007 01:42 PM

I bought my Breitling in St. Thomas... I saved about a grand off what it would have cost me here in FL... So really I figured I paid retail and got a free cruise!!! if I don't count the week long bar tab that is...

McGary911 10-25-2007 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by berns29scarab (Post 2315989)
congrats...i've been looking for either a stainless n gold blue face sub or the special edition green face sub

Bernie, if you see a green faced Sub, run.....it's fake. The 50th anniversary sub has a green bezel, and larger markers (dots where the numbers would be) than the regular black sub. There's a 50th anniversary GMT II Master in all Gold with a green face....

The green subs used to be VERY difficult to get, but are getting easier in a lot of places. My dealer down here in Florida called me about 2 months after I put my name on the list. It's a great watch, and one that you don't see every day. Even better if you're Irish :)

Originally Posted by creeper View Post
One plus with the Rolex, is that they use their own in house movement. Breitling uses modified ETA movements in their automatics. To some people that matters, some don't care.

Oh, almost forgot. Congrats on the new watch Jigsaw! Did you end up getting the Two Tone Blue sub?

FeverMike 10-25-2007 06:42 PM

IF you want to really learn about Rolex or any watch in general check out www.timezone.com