Notices

Who owns the photos?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:40 PM
PHIL
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamTaboo
You can take pictures from almost anyplace you want at the races unless you hire a choper and fly the course then you fall under race control. I do agree all media should be free
WRONG - when you fly the course - its in the public domain - you are NOT subject to any SBI rules at all - it the FAA that govens the space - and they can not and will not - let "official" helicopters do anything - and restrict others - its all or nothing - belive me I KNOW - I backed down a FAA rep in New Orleans years ago - told him - lets go have a confrence with the Federal Judge - BINGO - that was the key word - he melted like butter in a fying pan -

ITS all talk - they try to tell you what you can and cant do - if they restrict ONE - they restrict ALL - and they never could do it -

Helicopters are different from Fixed wing aircraft - they can fly as low as they want - with in Safety . - When they say - 300 feet - or 500 feet - its all BS - have a good pilot - like I did - and you just do the right thiing - I filmed over 240 events - in the late 70s and 80s - and early 90s - belive me - I know the rules - and who is in charge -

as others have said - they should encourge us - not try to control us - they would benefit - and the whole "sport" would benefit -

SBI is like a INGROWN toe nail - see how many relatives are employed at the site - its like Bubba and his clan - and they all belive the chief - so sad !

PHIL
Old 10-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by masher44
To top it off you have people like Dee and Sharkey amongst others traveling around the country out of true love for the sport, spending tons of their own money to get there and using their own equipment and time only to have some a-hole start slapping lawsuits on people? Thankfully there are people taking care of her and know what she is doing to promote the sport.... what Dee told me some of the teams were doing for her was way cool... they know who they are.... and more of them should step up.

I cant believe this is the first time many of us are hearing this ... what a load of crap.

Dee is the only one I know of thats not trying to make money on it.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:02 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B
well it is His business, and he can run it like he wants! To KW its about rooms filled, the Poker run group does a great job of filling that, its all about the money! Not the racer's or the fans.

How was his boat count last year compared to Destin's?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,714 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
How was his boat count last year compared to Destin's?
His doesnt matter, the poker run guys, fill the rooms and spend the cash. If he had 10 boats it doesnt matter. this is one of the many problems that plague Offshore, like most major events it should rotate to all the organzations. but when you have the local goverment in your back pocket, you get what you want.

From what I have heard though this will be the last year in the harbor, but i dont know if that is a fact or not, as well as the outer mole will be gone?? maybe some locals not affilated can give us a update.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm willing to rent a plane and fly any photogragher as low as they want over the water during the race - FREE (yes, it's legal to fly as low as you want over water and yes, I'm an acomplished pilot). All I ask is the photographer sell at least 1 photo and I represent him!

Any takers??
Old 10-24-2007, 07:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fountain38SC
I'm willing to rent a plane and fly any photogragher as low as they want over the water during the race - FREE (yes, it's legal to fly as low as you want over water and yes, I'm an acomplished pilot). All I ask is the photographer sell at least 1 photo and I represent him!

Any takers??
Tell me when and where.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Registered

I'd suggest KW. I'll be there all week. Just need to check for a rental plane and availability. We should talk. I'll PM you my cell. I'm on my way to dinner, give me a call tomorrow.

This could get good!

Kent
Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Sounds like a plan... I'll be in KW Wed-Mon.

I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:58 PM
TeamTaboo
VIP Member

I'm with you the more media and photo coverage the better.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:37 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting thread .......

Phil, thanks for sharing your experiences.

It has now been a week and I have yet to see any contract to view.

They had said I wouldn't be allowed to sell the photos without paying the $1,000 to SBI.

I would think I would be able to give them away then right ?

Let's say for an example that any racer that wanted to make a donation to Shore Dreams For Kids, I should be able to give them the negative of their boat now couldn't I ?

Regardless,

Like Phil has explained, it doesn't seem to be legal for an event held in the public domain for someone to dictate what you can take pictures of unless you are on private property and even then it has to be the land owner to object not someone renting the space..

Here is some good reading from an attorney:

http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

Originally Posted by Team Taboo
I'm with you the more media and photo coverage the better.
I couldn't agree more Team Taboo.

But for now, I won't be shooting any more boats for some time...

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Quick Reply: Who owns the photos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.