Like Tree0Likes

Light weight full cover material?

Reply
Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
  #11
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member
 
lakeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO 38 MM
My Boats: 1988 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 599
Default

The weight of the materials varies quite a bit for the materials mentioned. Sunbrella is the only one that supposedly breathes and is a little over 9oz/yd. Aqualon is in the same weight range and is a coated polyester so doesn't breathe, so would have to be vented as mentioned. Triton is a sister product to Aqualon but lighter around 6 oz/yd, but is is discontinued. Stamboid doesn't breathe either so would have to be vented. I have been using a solution dyed acryllic that is in the 6 oz/yd range so is one of the lightest, but in all my covers I add the vents. Hope this helps. BTW the Carrie cover is nothing more than a light weight dust cover.
John
Sunrise Upholstery
lakeluvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
  #12
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
OldSchool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Florida
My Boats: Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently
Posts: 10,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeluvr View Post
The weight of the materials varies quite a bit for the materials mentioned. Sunbrella is the only one that supposedly breathes and is a little over 9oz/yd. Aqualon is in the same weight range and is a coated polyester so doesn't breathe, so would have to be vented as mentioned. Triton is a sister product to Aqualon but lighter around 6 oz/yd, but is is discontinued. Stamboid doesn't breathe either so would have to be vented. I have been using a solution dyed acryllic that is in the 6 oz/yd range so is one of the lightest, but in all my covers I add the vents. Hope this helps. BTW the Carrie cover is nothing more than a light weight dust cover.
John
Sunrise Upholstery
John,
How much would a full cover for a Top Gun weigh in that material? Approximate cost? I'm looking for something for next season that isn't a pain in the azz to put on while on the lift. Maybe something that would rest about 12" below the rubrail....


Craig
__________________
I can't talk about it right now, it's being handled by the Postal Inspector. Those guys don't mess around!
OldSchool is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
  #13
Charter Member #232
Charter Member
 
Audiofn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Carlisle, MA USA
My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
Posts: 18,379
Default

Craig:
If you got 12" below the rub rail you can get a fade line..... Not so much if you are totally painted but definetely if you have gell..... Happens with my donzi...
__________________
Put your best foot forward!
Audiofn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:45 PM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: miami fla.
My Boats: Avance
Posts: 1,549
Default

you are saying that carriecovers are not waterproof???????
lowblue320 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
  #15
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member
 
lakeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO 38 MM
My Boats: 1988 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblue320 View Post
you are saying that carriecovers are not waterproof???????
The ones I've seen are not. They are light weight material like parachute material. Mainly just a dust and bug cover. And expensive at that.
lakeluvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:55 PM
  #16
www.sunriseuph.com
Platinum Member
 
lakeluvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO 38 MM
My Boats: 1988 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
John,
How much would a full cover for a Top Gun weigh in that material? Approximate cost? I'm looking for something for next season that isn't a pain in the azz to put on while on the lift. Maybe something that would rest about 12" below the rubrail....


Craig
If you are talking about the lighter weight material, and if my math is correct is should weigh about 12 lbs. Check my website for details on how my covers are made. The drawstring ends up being almost 12 inches past rubrail. PM for pricing info, hate to discuss on the open forum. Thanks.
John
lakeluvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
  #17
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
OldSchool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Florida
My Boats: Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently
Posts: 10,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeluvr View Post
If you are talking about the lighter weight material, and if my math is correct is should weigh about 12 lbs. Check my website for details on how my covers are made. The drawstring ends up being almost 12 inches past rubrail. PM for pricing info, hate to discuss on the open forum. Thanks.
John
I'll call you tomorrow, thanks...
__________________
I can't talk about it right now, it's being handled by the Postal Inspector. Those guys don't mess around!
OldSchool is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:47 PM
  #18
Burnin' Love
Gold Member
 
FRMULTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Northern Illinois
My Boats: FORMULA
Posts: 684
Default

What are the new Formula covers made of? Seems to be good material, but may be to heavy for a full mooring cover.
FRMULTR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:44 PM
  #19
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Cape Coral, FL
My Boats: Renegade 32
Posts: 1,103
Default

John, thanks for the great info. Craig hows it goin? I have the same challenge, need a light weight full cover for FL to put on while the boat is on the lift. I did a cover a couple yrs ago, maybe Oddessey?, vinyl covered and it stuck to the deck, started mildew etc. Didn't work out too well. I think I may just stay with Sunbrella and keep it short, close to the rub rail. Thanks for the responses!
bob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
  #20
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
fountain4play's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Omaha - LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 3600 SuperCat "Suppression"
Posts: 1,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblue320 View Post
you are saying that carriecovers are not waterproof???????
They make both a lightweight one that's not, used for a dust or poker run type use and their "hydro-shield" ones are water resistant and can be used for day to day outside use.

http://www.carriecovers.com/fabrics.php
fountain4play is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Sportboats
General Boating Discussion
11
09-24-2008 09:05 PM
Blue by You
Cigarette
9
09-04-2007 05:09 PM
boomer
General Boating Discussion
1
05-10-2006 09:24 AM
Formula Outlaw
General Boating Discussion
22
01-13-2005 02:19 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.