Chaparral boats, any good? >

Chaparral boats, any good?

Notices

Chaparral boats, any good?

Old 11-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by firstoffshore
I would recommend that your friend pick up a used Sea Ray 270 Sundeck. It would be a much better choice in terms of quality, on-going service and resale. The Sundeck series is the proven, market leader in this category.
Ditto on the sea ray sundeck - I've logged about 300 hours on a 240. Good boat. Holds 12, 10 comfortably. I've pulled up a slolam skiier with 12 on board.

I think chapparal is average quality - one below sea ray, cobalt, formula. BUT I've never owned one, so I'll admit that I'm a little biased. I tend to look at the older boats and how they've held up. I see lots of 1980 something sea rays that still look great or have been restored...........can't say the same for chapparal.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:53 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Chaparal didn't make many boats 20-25 years ago. Searay did, but they have decided to compete in the "price" market quite a bit in the runabout catagories the last few years. Searay will always be a "known" but the Chaparal dealer has made quite a name for the brand in this region too. (I'd put Chap over the searay by a small margin)
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are lots of Chaparrals around where I boat. As has been said before, they aren't as substantial as a Cobalt, but they are a good quality boat, definitely Sea-Ray quality. From what I've heard they have a decent warranty package as well.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered

Searay 240 Sundeck against the dock, Chapparal 236 SSi on the outside. The Searay needed some tab input this day to keep everyone happy and dry, the Chapparal didn't. 5.0/B3 in the Chapparal runs as well as a 5.7/B3 in the Searay.
Attached Thumbnails Chaparral boats, any good?-dsc02688a.jpg  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Not sure what your trying to prove with the tabs, but clearly the 240 sundeck is bigger than the 236SSi chapparal. The chapparal looks more like a 22ft boat. The sundeck is 24ft without the swim platform (26 with swim platform). The sundeck also has a completely different and IMO more usefull seating configuration. The sundeck, by design has seating that is off balance (i.e. most of the seating is to the port side). With the sundeck on a full load you will have 4 people on the starboard side, one in the center stern, and 7 on the port side. AND that requires tabs to operate the boat level. However, if you fill the 20 gallon water tank, which is located to the stern - starboard side, it will help balance the boat. The 236SSi has balanced seating, but gives up a couple of seats when compared to the 240 sundeck. Also look at the bow seating area. On the 240 sundeck I've got plenty of room for 2 full size adults to sit up front - legs out. In fact on a good day- I've put 7 adults in the bowrider alone and all comfortably enjoyed the 1hr drive home in the rough. The bow also has a filler cushion and I can and have had 4 lady's laying down sunbathing. Try that in the 236SSi. IMO - there is no comparison. There is a reason why the sundeck is sea rays best seller,

What is the max seating capacity on the 236ssi?

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 11-13-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Not sure what your trying to prove with the tabs, but clearly the 240 sundeck is bigger than the 236SSi chapparal. The chapparal looks more like a 22ft boat. The sundeck is 24ft without the swim platform (26 with swim platform). The sundeck also has a completely different and IMO more usefull seating configuration. The sundeck, by design has seating that is off balance (i.e. most of the seating is to the port side). With the sundeck on a full load you will have 4 people on the starboard side, one in the center stern, and 7 on the port side. AND that requires tabs to operate the boat level. However, if you fill the 20 gallon water tank, which is located to the stern - starboard side, it will help balance the boat. The 236SSi has balanced seating, but gives up a couple of seats when compared to the 240 sundeck. Also look at the bow seating area. On the 240 sundeck I've got plenty of room for 2 full size adults to sit up front - legs out. In fact on a good day- I've put 7 adults in the bowrider alone and all comfortably enjoyed the 1hr drive home in the rough. The bow also has a filler cushion and I can and have had 4 lady's laying down sunbathing. Try that in the 236SSi. IMO - there is no comparison. There is a reason why the sundeck is sea rays best seller,

Not sure how we got on Sundeck's (or any deck boat for that matter) as the original question was on Chaparral's quality and the boat being considered was a 28' bowrider. I looked at Sundeck's before purchasing my 260 SSi bowrider. The overall fit and finish and quality control of the Sea Ray was a bit better than my boat but not a show stopper with the Chap. The Sea Ray was significantly more money and takes more power to get the same performance numbers. I think resale will be a tad better on the Sea Ray but the Chaps have proven to do well in the used market. Price aside, the main thing that steered me away from the Sundeck was the extremely shallow freeboard in the bow. I do a lot of boating at LOTO and the wife and kids appreciate the deep bow seating and added sense of security. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand. But to answer the original question Chaparral builds a quality boat. Mine has 166 hours on it now with about half of them being put on at LOTO during the month of July in some of the roughest water of the year down there. I have no stress cracks, no rattles, and have had no items come loose after running in that water.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater

My mistake, that pic is of a 246 SSi, both the 236 and the 246 have the same seating capacity - 12 . There is more than enough room for 2 adults to sit legs forward in the bow.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bluellama
Searay 240 Sundeck against the dock, Chapparal 236 SSi on the outside. The Searay needed some tab input this day to keep everyone happy and dry, the Chapparal didn't. 5.0/B3 in the Chapparal runs as well as a 5.7/B3 in the Searay.
having owned both Chap 243 and SR 240 the Chap is a much better performer both had the 350Mag BIII set up. The SR does hold it value better though.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 AM
CMC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buddy that is a Chapparal dealer in NJ, and I work for him occassionally. He has some leftovers available including a '04 Signature 260 ( NEW). if anyone has a particular boat in mind let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Chaparral boats, any good?-100_0385-small-.jpg  

Last edited by CMC; 11-14-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

Quick Reply: Chaparral boats, any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.