The Navy's new offshore BEAST!!!

Notices

The Navy's new offshore BEAST!!!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Not driving that Fountain you don't!
uhhh...I remember the MonGoose turning around and not running the first leg cause the water was a bit rough??

Or did you forget that part?

Just wondering why most Fountains ran and you turned around
Old 11-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Registered

Use must have good clearence to get that close for pictures these days. I got within 300 yards of a docked battleship here in Tpa and the wave off I got was "move away or else" I wasn't upset just cant blame them for being cautiuos and not wanting to be another Cole disaster.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Registered

68 seems really high even for two big nuke reactors. The drag at that speed for that hull must be hurrendous.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if this is true or not, but a guy from an aicraft carrier that was in port here told me that to slow-down and eventually stop a carrier that they put it in full throttle reverse from 5 miles out. Sounds good to me. Anybody know for sure?
Old 11-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
the day after 9-11 a friend of mine was on an aircraft carrier off the west coast and they unloaded all the aircraft and sent them across the us and the ship now empty had to sail all the way around the bottom of south america because it will not fit through the panama canal. he said the carrier went 68 most of the way. cannot remember if it was mph or knots. I will ask next time I talk to him.
either way thats frik'n haul'in
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go38
I would like to see the wave from a carrier at 45 knots
When I was in the TEAMS, we would do ops off the carriers all the time. Once out to sea, and they opened her up, the wake would be between 20 and 30ft high, and a hundred yards across. There's no jumping that baby.

Darrell.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

My Dad was on the FDR (diesel/steam carrier) from 1959-1962.

I just asked him a few questions.

Full speed fully loaded was 37 knots. (Would do so at full speed into the wind when launching aircraft.)
Wake was 100 yards wide, and 20-30 feet tall.
68mph for an unloaded nuclear carrier is definitely feasible per his thoughts, but all current data is classifed.

The full reverse at 5 miles out is accurate, if not further out.
The ship had a two mile turning radius for a 180* turn at speed.

Unusual FACT:
They were launching a small fighter of the time period, like an F-4 or something. The catapult malfunctioned, and the plane basically went off the front of the ship and under the hull. Folks inside the ship actually heard it scraping down the hull. The pilot was convinced he was going to die via the 4 screws as big as 3 story homes. The plane went out the back of the ship THROUGH the 4 screws untouched, and popped to the surface upright. He opened the canopy, and was plucked up by one of the two (always in flight when planes are airborne) rescue helicopters. He only got wet from the knees down. They dropped him on the deck of the ship, and he threw down his helmet and wings and called it quits. True story.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-28-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I don't know if this is true or not, but a guy from an aicraft carrier that was in port here told me that to slow-down and eventually stop a carrier that they put it in full throttle reverse from 5 miles out. Sounds good to me. Anybody know for sure?
Nominal design of all Navy combat ships is to be able to stop in about three to four boat lengths. Remember for a carrier that is about a half a mile to 3/4 mile. The main propulsion turbines are steam that have both the ahead and astern stages on the same shaft. It takes a throttlemen (guy in the engineroom who controls steam to the propulsion turbines based on orders from the bridge) about 30-45 seconds to close the ahead throttles from top speed and open the astern throttles to maximum design steam flow. The amount of actual steam depends on many factors which don't really matter. A carrier traveling say 40 knots goes 4000 yards in 3 minutes or about a 1000 yards in 45 seconds. The screws actually slow and reverse pretty quickly. I have been in between the maine engines on a sub (around 65000 shaft hp) from max ahead to astern. The torque on the shaft is in the millions of foot pounds. Things shake and make noises like you can't believe. But still believe it or not they can all stop pretty fast for their size.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Registered

Not only is that 68mph correct but I also read that the reactors onboard can maintain that speed 24hours a day for 10 years
Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi Corleone
Use must have good clearence to get that close for pictures these days. I got within 300 yards of a docked battleship here in Tpa and the wave off I got was "move away or else" I wasn't upset just cant blame them for being cautiuos and not wanting to be another Cole disaster.
Yeah, I would think that the only thing more exciting than getting passed by one of these monsters, or jumping its wake...would be to see the splash of a 5-inch shell off your port side, warning you to get the hell away...

"There's nothing more exhilarating than being shot at without result." - Winston Churchill

Quick Reply: The Navy's new offshore BEAST!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.