Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why do we pay highway tax for gas in our Boats? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/173992-why-do-we-pay-highway-tax-gas-our-boats.html)

Mackattack 11-25-2007 07:18 PM

Why do we pay highway tax for gas in our Boats?

Why do we have to pay road taxes in the fuel we burn in our boats? Most of us who trailer out boats fill up at the same stations that cars/trucks fill up.

Diesel is available in highway use, and non highway use. Tugs/large boats all use non highway diesel to operate.

Is our market too small to warrant a highway tax deduction on fuel in our boats?

The savings would not be extraordinary, but may keep more people enjoying their boats next season.

BY U BOY 11-25-2007 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mackattack (Post 2347662)
Why do we have to pay road taxes in the fuel we burn in our boats? Most of us who trailer out boats fill up at the same stations that cars/trucks fill up.

Diesel is available in highway use, and non highway use. Tugs/large boats all use non highway diesel to operate.

Is our market too small to warrant a highway tax deduction on fuel in our boats?

The savings would not be extraordinary, but may keep more people enjoying their boats next season.

Alot of states have a form you can get from the station clerk or online to get you tax back. Texas does not give us our tax back for non hwy use. I am not sure if La does.

rush 11-25-2007 07:23 PM

In va. dmv will give a refund on boat fuel. there have been threads on here that you can search.

2112 11-25-2007 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by rush (Post 2347666)
In va. dmv will give a refund on boat fuel. .

Same out here but they make it a P.I.T.A with reams of paperwork:mad:

Mackattack 11-25-2007 07:31 PM

That answers my next question, how impossible would the paperwork be?

t500hps 11-25-2007 07:42 PM

In VA it's one sheet, one side. But they do require the date, name of the station, and for some reason YOUR name has to appear the same on every reciept now...just send in the reciepts and the form, they will mail you a check in 5-6 weeks.

FASTTIMES 11-25-2007 07:47 PM

anyone know if the same applies in Oklahoma?

Steve_H 11-25-2007 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2347694)
In VA it's one sheet, one side. But they do require the date, name of the station, and for some reason YOUR name has to appear the same on every reciept now...just send in the reciepts and the form, they will mail you a check in 5-6 weeks.

missouri is the same but i never add my name to the receipts. got my check last week. only took 10 days.

GoFastSonic 11-25-2007 07:52 PM

How about NJ

Tax back?

Turbojack 11-25-2007 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2347665)
Alot of states have a form you can get from the station clerk or online to get you tax back. Texas does not give us our tax back for non hwy use. I am not sure if La does.

You might want to recheck into that. I believe Texas does refund tax money.