Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition? >

Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Notices

Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Summit published a sizable marine catalog a few years ago. I don't believe they made it to their second.

They are an absolute class act and a model of customer service. I think it was just too "small potatoes" for them.
they do offer some marine items in the catolog , but if you go online to summit there is alot more products across the board , including marine. i think the catolog just scratches the surface...

i have had parts delivered on saturday at no extra cost because they use fedx ,now , this was back in 03', i was like , wtf is fedx doing here?? and saw the summit box..
Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some aspects of Fred's business were spot on
Old 12-01-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhiguy377
some aspects of Fred's business were spot on
Since none were readlily apparent, how about cluing us in.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 12-02-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Sean H
The bitterness of poor service is still there long after the sweetness of low prices are gone.
Classic, but so true!
Old 12-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

Chris, obviously indefensible what has happened recently and seems it may have been going on for awhile; however 7 points come to mind that I will continue to apply in my own business (37 years in biz and 44 years in my industry). My dealings with Fred/Trick were characterized by 1. rapidly returned inquiries by phone and/or e-mail. 2. professional product and application knowledge. 3. reasonable prices. 4. fast and accurate delivery and order fulfillment. 5. good product selection. 6. on two occasions Fred was able to suggest a lower cost yet appropriate alternative.
7. Fred actually seemed to want my business which was a completely different attitude than what I received from a number of marine suppliers; although this last point seems to talk to a dynamic that is endemic across all industries in the past several years. - Jeff
Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM

Chris, obviously indefensible what has happened recently and seems it may have been going on for awhile; however 7 points come to mind that I will continue to apply in my own business (37 years in biz and 44 years in my industry). My dealings with Fred/Trick were characterized by 1. rapidly returned inquiries by phone and/or e-mail. 2. professional product and application knowledge. 3. reasonable prices. 4. fast and accurate delivery and order fulfillment. 5. good product selection. 6. on two occasions Fred was able to suggest a lower cost yet appropriate alternative.
7. Fred actually seemed to want my business which was a completely different attitude than what I received from a number of marine suppliers; although this last point seems to talk to a dynamic that is endemic across all industries in the past several years. - Jeff
I misunderstood your point.

They may have been "spot on" for you but as evidenced by the small but steady stream of "did Trick go out of business?" and "why won't they ship my stuff or call me?" threads over the last year, I think the key word is "consistency". Even if it's consistent mediocrity, you at least have an understanding of what you're going to get.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Registered

Chris, let me clarify; I'm not defending Trick Marine. Ultimately, nothing that they did well excuses what happened in the end. I'm merely saying that SOME of what they did constitutes good practice; probably what every world-class business does day in and day out over the course of decades. - Jeff
Old 12-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Chris, let me clarify; I'm not defending Trick Marine. Ultimately, nothing that they did well excuses what happened in the end. I'm merely saying that SOME of what they did constitutes good practice; probably what every world-class business does day in and day out over the course of decades. - Jeff
No, not suggesting you were.

It's funny- there seems to be two completely separate groups of Trick customers. One's that had multiple transactions and were treated well and others that got poor service on more than one occasion. it's almost like they spun a wheel to see who they would jerk off.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Registered

Kinda interesting, Chris; since all this nonsense came to light I've been giving my own business operations some additional thought. It really is becoming clearer that we don't really do anybody any long term favors by keeping prices artificially low. Lots of lessons to be learned. - Jeff
Old 12-02-2007, 07:11 PM

Yeah. I learned that years ago. i used to try and over-deliver with everybody while always being priced below the competition. I wa so busy I had no time to look for new customers and the lack of profits hampered my ability to expand. The one day I stopped. Now, 95% of my customers don't even ask price. They need it, they need it quickly and they need to know that with one phone call they never have to think about it again. All we did is get rid of the customers who were price sensitive. Now we're 10 times the size and 50 times more profitable. It's a niche though- it's tough to do in a commodity business.

Quick Reply: Can A Legit "Trick" survive the competition?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.