Notices

Cougar Cub

Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWOUTBOARD
who does engine mods for small outboards.have a 25 merc on my kids 13 whaler and would like to get some more out of it or should i just get a 40 hp

I need to check around, my guy specializes on the 3 cyl omcs
Old 12-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Yes it is a short shaft Stinger...of sorts. I wanted integral trim so I used a modified a Yamaha Pro 50 transom bracket. The powerhead is a modified 49 cu in block with 7 ports per cyl, makes nearly 100hp at 8000 rpm. Lower unit is not a Nitro...well it is but with a 2:1 gear ratio instead of 1.87:1 since the boat is on the heavy side and I needed to build some rpm to get some hp out of the motor. The prop is a Ron Hill that was modified by Leading Edge Propeller, Rich gave it awesome hole shot and another few mph on the top.

As for the paint, yea that is Ryan Beckly working that design. My son fell in love with it and wanted it for his little cat. I do need to finish and paint the hood. The mid is extra blue ppg from when I painted the hull.

As for getting on plane, with this boat its nearly impossible, prior to running the 4 blade drag cleaver. Any three blade I tried just burned a hole in the water. The other thing that made a different was the Panther wedge which gives me a few more degrees of negative trim. You can see it in the last pic between the motor and jack plate. The jack plate is a must, all the way down to get on plane then all the way up for the top end. Don't need to run much more than neutral trim and she'll pack air like a big cat.
Nice to see you got it running !! What size prop did you end up running ? do you have power trim on that motor ?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
Nice to see you got it running !! What size prop did you end up running ? do you have power trim on that motor ?

It was a long road and we're still not done. Got 1 more powerhead coming that has a little more work done to it. Gonna see how it runs with that. Looking to have a 56 cuber built with double barrel carbs and high compression. Its will be a 108 octane motor, shooting for 120 hp on that one. Basically looking for one of these http://aycu13.webshots.com/image/333...2266904_rs.jpg

Yes I have power trim, that is the transom bracket from the Yamaha, intergral power trim and tilt along with the jack plate. Took a bit of research to find that combination. The prop is a 13 x 20 that leading edge got did some great things to.