Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Steering wheel help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/174936-steering-wheel-help.html)

LubeJobs42 12-08-2007 10:43 AM

Steering wheel help

Trying to change the steering wheel on the donzi. I removed the 3/4 nut holding the wheel and hub to the helm but the wheel dosen't pull off. I see what appears to be a key way next to one side he shaft. Do I pull the wheel harder or is there something else holding it besides the 3/4" nut. The more I try to do myself the more I realize how useless I am!!!

Chris Sunkin 12-08-2007 11:04 AM

Most likely it's on a morse taper shaft. Get a puller- either there are two or 3 threaded holes in the face of the adapter that bolts will thread into or you'll have to use a 3-jaw and reach arount to the back corner to pull it off. I've seen guys use an air chisel with a punch bit and hit the center of the shaft while someone else pulls out on the wheel but I'd be concerned with breaking something. Sears and Harbor Freight could probably fix you up today if you don't own any of these tools. Auto Zone has a free loaner program too.

DTD 12-08-2007 11:06 AM

You could always call Trick....

long duck dong 12-08-2007 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DTD (Post 2364159)
You could always call Trick....

nope, closed until forever....thanks anyway

blingbling 12-08-2007 02:27 PM

Lubejob, what wheel you changing to? My Donzis finishing up next week and I'm trying to get them to change out the wheel before they mount the stock one.

DiamondPerformance 12-08-2007 02:28 PM

All good ideas. Try heating it with a torch, put the nut back on (so you don't mess up the threads) and tap it with the butt end of a hammer and pull the wheel with your free hand. I had a couple of wheels that were so bad i had to cut the wheel hub off.

US1 Fountain 12-08-2007 03:27 PM

Have removed many by loosening the nut just to where it is a hair higher than the end of the shaft. Then while 1 person is pulling firmly on the wheel with 2 hands at 180*, another person takes a hammer and smacks the nut firmly. Not so hard that you drive the nut down screwing up the threads, then not so soft you are tickling it.

LubeJobs42 12-08-2007 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by DiamondPerformance (Post 2364302)
All good ideas. Try heating it with a torch, put the nut back on (so you don't mess up the threads) and tap it with the butt end of a hammer and pull the wheel with your free hand. I had a couple of wheels that were so bad i had to cut the wheel hub off.

A torch? A Hammer?? Do you know who your talking to???? That sounds like the start of another thread!!

Chris Sunkin 12-08-2007 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gino + torch =