Konrad/Speedmaster IIIA conversion >

Konrad/Speedmaster IIIA conversion

Notices

Konrad/Speedmaster IIIA conversion

Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
Looks like a nice conversion. What Comanche3Six asks is a good question. What are the strength (HP & Torque) differences between the Konrad 540 drive that replaces the Merc TRS and the Konrad drive that replaces the Merc SSMIII or are the Konrad drives rated the same between the two?
Both drives share the same internal components with the exception of the optional HD upper input shaft (included with the SSMIII conversion) . They are both rated to handle up to 800 hp.

The HD upper shaft option was originally designed to better handle the higher torque load (at lower RPM's) of a diesel engine. When a customer is installing a Konrad system behind power levels greater than the factory rating, the optional HD upgrade makes for a stronger unit.

Thanks for the positive input guys!

Kurt
Old 12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Mindi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to reiterate, That HD upper is optional with the TRS replacement, but STANDARD with the SSMIII/
IIIA conversion drive, which also has a slightly different upper housing for bolt pattern reasons....
Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Kurt,
Correct me if I'm wrong: the Konrad is 2" shorter than the III, so it would be 2" longer than a IV and 4" longer than a V.
Eddie
Old 12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Kurt,
Correct me if I'm wrong: the Konrad is 2" shorter than the III, so it would be 2" longer than a IV and 4" longer than a V.
Eddie
Eddie,,

The actual dimention (of the standard lower case) is 1.78" shorter than the SSMIII. We rounded out at 2" higher

The SSMIV & SSMV (both share the same dimention from propshaft to input shaft) at 6" shorter than the SSMIII. So that would put the Konrad unit at 4" lower than the SSMV.

This conversion is not really designed to replace the SSMV but on some applications that are running the SSMV with 2-3" of spacers, (typically SSMV's w/gimbal mounted directly to transom, no boxes) could possibly be a good candidate for this package given that the smaller prop diameters would run more effieciently in deeper water.

Kurt
Old 12-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do all the drives III, IIIA, IV, and V use the same Gimbal?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Do all the drives III, IIIA, IV, and V use the same Gimbal?
Yup, pretty much with the exception of the very early SSMIII's
Old 12-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Kurt. I knew the V was 6" shorter than the III, but I didn't know the IV was the same length as the V. Learn something new every day. Thanks, Eddie.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks gang.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This new package really opens the door for a lot of potential installations(already working on a few) really nice to have a replacement drive for the retired 3-5 speedmasters,rebuilt units are ok but brand new units the way to go,also really helps the value of boats rigged with 3-5 speedmasters,really sucks not being able to buy new parts and outdrives.Hopefully next on list will be a replacement gimbal assy for speedmasters,only time will tell.Another great product from Konrad marine.

Quick Reply: Konrad/Speedmaster IIIA conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.