Like Tree0Likes

Big Seas DVD info

Old 12-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2004 36 Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
and that year we went out to the Dry Tortugas.
Man that had to hurt!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

No point - just curious as do not remember any cats ever wining any world championships (or any true open ocean offshore race) in the 60s and 70s when the world championships were determined by racing offshore around the world for the entire yr.
I guess you can call the run to the Dry Tortugas (the Dry Tortugas are a small group of islands, located at the end of the Florida Keys, USA, about 113 kilometers (70 mi) west of Key West), open offshore ocean racing - just not the kind I was referring to.
If it was in 1982 when the cats that "changed the game" changed the game, they did so without ever competing against the Vs in the nasty open seas that the Vs ran in when winning "true" offshore world championships.
Thanks for the confirmation,
PJ
Old 12-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRIZ View Post
No point - just curious as do not remember any cats ever wining any world championships (or any true open ocean offshore race) in the 60s and 70s when the world championships were determined by racing offshore around the world for the entire yr.
I guess you can call the run to the Dry Tortugas (the Dry Tortugas are a small group of islands, located at the end of the Florida Keys, USA, about 113 kilometers (70 mi) west of Key West), open offshore ocean racing - just not the kind I was referring to.
If it was in 1982 when the cats that "changed the game" changed the game, they did so without ever competing against the Vs in the nasty open seas that the Vs ran in when winning "true" offshore world championships.
Thanks for the confirmation,
PJ
You've got to be kidding!

You think running to the Tortugas is not running in the open ocean?

You can't be serious.

Even the later (1990) Key West worlds were run in BIG water (e.g. 6' - 8'), even though we only went as far our as the Sands Point light. And the Open cats (Skaters and Cougars and CUV's) were usually kicking the V's butts. Sometimes the Apache 41's held sway, but less and less each year..

And the cats kept getting better and better, until the V-guys figured we needed our own class.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: 1991 DIRTY LAUNDRY MODEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil M View Post
Great Job Darren and Richie - Loved the new over narration - interesting facts -

My, the footage seems familiar - who took it ? Seeing some of the people from years ago was wonderful again -

Best of Luck with the newly editied films - I know what kind of work was involved, having done the orriginals usually in a day or two - its a lot of work and well done -

I am sure many here will enjoy the way they have been editied - If you want the perfect Christmas gift for a Powerboat racer or fan, then these are the ones to get -

Phil
Thanks Phil,
I have put alot of time and effert into all three dvd's glad you enjoyed them. Merry Xmass!

Darren
Old 12-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Registered

just ordered all 5 ! Rich's work is the best out there!

Steve
Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.

Some of the big water running shots problably won't ever be seen again with the courses closer to shore now.
Attached Thumbnails
Big Seas DVD info-warpathaaa.jpg  
Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Thanks to all for your kind comments. WE are working hard to provide an actual story and not a random series of images. Please note that Christmas is coming and time is growing short to add these to your gift list.

T2x
Old 12-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 Active Thunder 28

Got mine on Friday. They are put together very nice. My Dad will love them.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRIZ View Post

PJ
Offshore cats didn't exist in the 60's and the boats ran 50-60 mph (slower in the conditions you describe). In the 70's the cats were in their embryonic stages and the designers struggled with construction techniques, lift, balance and drive height. By the late 80's these things had been worked out to the point where a twin engine 40' Skater cat beat a 46 foot Apache Vee in an OPen Ocean race in storm conditions. However I will concede that "World Championship" events had long since disappeared..... not because cats couldn't run them, but because the speeds had increased to the point that providing safety and rescue became impossible. By the way I believe one of our Linder/Luhrs Conquest cats ,"Rocky", won the Cowes Torquay Cowes race back in the 80's. I think that was one of the races you refer to from back in the day. That event was rough enough to sink Dick Bertram in the late 60's.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 12-17-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:08 PM

My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft

I got my Legend of Apache dvd. It had a lot of cats in it, but overall pretty good.