Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   It's cold here Need new job (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/175272-its-cold-here-need-new-job.html)

dwtinc 12-12-2007 04:36 PM

It's cold here Need new job

It's cold and Sh&tty here and I hate winter. Do any of you in south Florida need a good responsible employee. I am ready for a change. My kids are grown and I have nothing keeping me here.

Mark 12-12-2007 04:39 PM

Good luck getting a real job down here. Businesses are going under left and right. :( I'm even moving back to cold and sh&tty Ohio. :(

t500hps 12-12-2007 05:20 PM

It might help if you tell us what skills you have.

bouyhunter 12-12-2007 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2369578)
Good luck getting a real job down here. Businesses are going under left and right. :( I'm even moving back to cold and sh&tty Ohio. :(

Mark, I remember in another thread you saying you were moving back up this way, What part of OH are you from/moving too?
I was planning on dropping everything and moving to Tampa/St. Pete area about 5 yrs ago and buying a liveaboard housboat, and then an opportunity came up here in Cincitucky that brought us here.
The winter isn't nearly as $hitty as Toledo where I grew up...

dwtinc 12-12-2007 05:51 PM

I can do about anything that a person with common sense can do. With that I have been in management, owned a couple of my own business, own real estate, can do construction, about anything mechanical. I have never let anything limit me on doing anything except not having a formal degree for it. Have been self employed most my life and I know I would make a good employee.

spk1 12-12-2007 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2369575)
It's cold and Sh&tty here and I hate winter. Do any of you in south Florida need a good responsible employee. I am ready for a change. My kids are grown and I have nothing keeping me here.

Dont forget to check on Texas , houston/galveston area, The water is not as clear,, but its been pretty warm here. :D

dwtinc 12-12-2007 06:50 PM

I spent a lot of time in Austin and loved it. Lake Travis was great. I am not against considering it but I like Florida.

TEAMBAJA 12-12-2007 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 2369578)

I love Ft Myers! Im in/from Ohio and Ft Myers is the only place in Florida Id want to be.

Do you ever go to Tims Place? (Channel Mark)

Edward R. Cozzi 12-12-2007 08:48 PM

You like Florida? Why? We have the rudest, most self-centered, selfish, inconsiderate, rotten people living here in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. Most of the people would just as soon run you over on the highway or in the supermarket with their carts. Forget anyone looking you in the eye. If you're nice and polite to people, they mistake it for weakness and try to take advantage of you.
The only reasonable people you'll meet here are from the midwest.
If I wasn't so damn old and established here I would leave and start over somewhere else.

Oh yeah, the tap water sucks and never gets cold. Most of the cops are idiots and couldn't solve a crime if their lives depended on it.

Otherwise it's a pretty nice place to live.

dwtinc 12-12-2007 09:03 PM

Well Ed I always find your writings interesting and informative. I hate cold weather and I love boating. I have a house on the Lake of the Ozarks which is nice 4 months a year. Not really any decent jobs there and it still snows there. Florida has good water and I love the waterways. Maybe I'm wrong but if the economy gets bad there I might be able to switch my Lake place for one on the waterway somewhere there. I understand what you are saying about the people and thought it might be a plus if I was the exception.

gcarter 12-12-2007 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi (Post 2369917)
You like Florida? Why? We have the rudest, most self-centered, selfish, inconsiderate, rotten people living here in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. Most of the people would just as soon run you over on the highway or in the supermarket with their carts. Forget anyone looking you in the eye. If you're nice and polite to people, they mistake it for weakness and try to take advantage of you.
The only reasonable people you'll meet here are from the midwest.
If I wasn't so damn old and established here I would leave and start over somewhere else.

Oh yeah, the tap water sucks and never gets cold. Most of the cops are idiots and couldn't solve a crime if their lives depended on it.

Otherwise it's a pretty nice place to live.

Because they all came from the North East.

B one 12-12-2007 09:12 PM

New Yorkers

The problem with Florida is there are to many people from New York and New Jersey in Florida. Thats where the rudest, most self-centered, selfish, inconsiderate people come from.

PARADOX 12-12-2007 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by gcarter (Post 2369928)
Because they all came from the North East.

Ditto. I miss the Midwest, and the people. Even with the winters. Why would you want to come to Tampa? or even worse... East coast. Miami. WPB.. BOCA. :mad: Grrrrrrrrrrr .. I lived in Boca. Coldn't wait to get out of there. Now.. I can't wait to get outtaahere. I'm thinking the Med.
Any one needs a good employee in Europe ??? :evilb:
Actualy Ft. Myers Beach is OK. Need a nice home there on the water of course. :)
BTW dw.. Florida economy is pretty bad. More people are leaving then coming.
FLA is exporting people.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-12-2007 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2369927)
Well Ed I always find your writings interesting and informative. I hate cold weather and I love boating. I have a house on the Lake of the Ozarks which is nice 4 months a year. Not really any decent jobs there and it still snows there. Florida has good water and I love the waterways. Maybe I'm wrong but if the economy gets bad there I might be able to switch my Lake place for one on the waterway somewhere there. I understand what you are saying about the people and thought it might be a plus if I was the exception.

Don't get me wrong. Not everybody here falls into the catagory I described. I have met some wonderful people here, but they are in the minority. The boating here is excellent and you can enjoy it year 'round. There are zillions of waterside restaurants and bars to go to either by boat or car. The food business is so competitive here that you would be hard-pressed to catch a bad meal at an established restaurant...even with the poor water quality. Your real adjustment would be to the weather here in July, August and September. If you work outside, you will swear you've never been more uncomfortable. The other nine months are pretty pleasant. If you're in the boat business, this is where you need to be.

dwtinc 12-12-2007 09:35 PM

I just knew that I could never afford to move down when the economy was booming and there may be an opportunity now that it is slowing down. I have been down there in July before and understand what you are saying. On the same note have you been up here in Janurary. It is hot and humid here in July also. The difference is we range from -5 to 110. You range from 65 to 110.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-12-2007 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2369943)
Ditto. I miss the Midwest, and the people. Even with the winters. Why would you want to come to Tampa? or even worse... East coast. Miami. WPB.. BOCA. :mad: Grrrrrrrrrrr .. I lived in Boca. Coldn't wait to get out of there. Now.. I can't wait to get outtaahere. I'm thinking the Med.
Any one needs a good employee in Europe ??? :evilb:
Actualy Ft. Myers Beach is OK. Need a nice home there on the water of course. :)
BTW dw.. Florida economy is pretty bad. More people are leaving then coming.
FLA is exporting people.

You are absolutely correct. The West coast of Florida has mainly people from the midwest who didn't want to migrate to Arizona. Those people are a pleasure to be around. They are so courteous on the road AND in the supermarkets!
Did I mention the crime here in SE Florida? Guys are getting out of jail early and immediately going out and committing multiple felonies. The punks that killed Sean Taylor had rap sheets as long as my arm and repeatedly received slaps on the wrist from the liberal judges.
Let's talk about the quality of education here. Most of the younger people interviewing for jobs are illiterate! All you have to do is read their applications. The schools do not have physical education classes, (too many injuries and lawsuits), so that the little, fat ba$tards are overweight and totally out of shape. Forget English grammar. Most of these morons couldn't put together a proper paragraph.
President Carter, in his infinite wisdom, allowed Cuba to clean out their jails and insane asylums and let them come into Miami. Do you think it's safe for a white man after dark in most of Miami? Good Luck.

Cash Bar 12-12-2007 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2369943)
.. BOCA. :mad: Grrrrrrrrrrr .. I lived in Boca.

I resemble that remark. :grinser010:

Edward R. Cozzi 12-12-2007 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by B one (Post 2369936)
The problem with Florida is there are to many people from New York and New Jersey in Florida. Thats where the rudest, most self-centered, selfish, inconsiderate people come from.

You could get lynched here with a remark like that!

Years ago I towed a Top Gun to Chicago for a customer. The only car that put me and the boat in jeopardy had a Florida tag and a New Jersey Devils sticker on the window! Maybe it was just a coincidence.

PARADOX 12-12-2007 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2369967)
I resemble that remark. :grinser010:

LOL.. "resemble" ?? There were a few cool dudes in the West Coast.. Correction. :) very few...
Cash... you need to buy this old Formula and have fun with it for a while. I'm still looking for a new boat for myself.

dwtinc 12-12-2007 09:48 PM

I am sure there is a lot of truth to what you say but we have problems everywhere. I live in the middle of the US and we have a lot of Mexicans coming into our town. We have shootings anymore a couple a week. May not sound like many but I live in a town of 70,000 people. I don't know much about Ft Myers and I am not against that side either.

Fast Shafts 12-12-2007 09:49 PM

Gcarter and Bone, welcome to OSO. Being newbies and making comments like that, I'm sure you'll make alot of friends here.:rolleyes:

PARADOX 12-12-2007 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=dwtinc;2369960. On the same note have you been up here in Janurary. It is hot and humid here in July also. The difference is we range from -5 to 110. You range from 65 to 110.[/QUOTE]
I used to live in Chicago... I know all about the 100 * and -75* with windchill... 2' snow on new Years one year.. 75* in mid Dec. the next.
:evilb: Isn't the midwest just great ???

Edward R. Cozzi 12-12-2007 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=PARADOX;2369943]BOCA. :mad: Grrrrrrrrrrr .. I lived in Boca. Coldn't wait to get out of there.

The only thing wrong with the people from Boca Raton is they think they $hit ice cream!

I lived in Boca long ago before a divorce. After the divorce I moved to Ft. Lauderdale, but came back to Boca to watch my sons play Little League baseball. The same fathers that I thought were my friends wouldn't even talk to me once I had moved!

dwtinc 12-12-2007 10:01 PM

I have traveled all over the US and agree with the general assumptions of the region where people come from. I was in Chicago 2 weeks ago and you couldn't get anyone to even look at you there. I thought it was funny just trying to get eye contact. I think it is too bad that people live their lives like that. I have been to Lauderdale several times and found that most people there are polite. I flew into Lauderdale a month ago for the Key West races and didn't think any different.

PARADOX 12-12-2007 10:04 PM

Sorry everyone.. It's real serious issue for me, due to my past and personnal reasons, so bare with me.. I just had to say this..
Quote>> President Carter, in his infinite wisdom, allowed Cuba to clean out their jails and insane asylums and let them come into Miami. Do you think it's safe for a white man after dark in most of Miami? Good Luck.<<<<

I also do Construction as a GC in Florida. I have to go to Miami, Dade. Miramar.. Hialiah.. etc. I feel like I'm in a different country. NO ONE SPEAK ENGLISH..!!!
I want to get lunch and I can't becouse everyone assumes I speak some Latin/Spanish?Spanglish or something... and I mean they assume.. I go to the grossery store for something and they tell me how much I owe in Spanish.. Then they wonder why I just wait there untill some one translates.
I have no issues with Spanish, the Latin community, the Chinese, Polish.. I dont care if you from Mars, PLuto or Orian. BUT...
If you live here, work here, take my taxes... YOU BETTER SPEAK MY FF""ING LANGUAGE.
It just get's me so ff'ing angry that my tax dollars are paying for some.. to take their drivers license test in some other language then English. IN THE USA.
(sorry everyone, it's been a hard day. I just had to vent a bit)

:ernaehrung004: I go hide now.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-12-2007 10:09 PM

I get heartburn just reading the signs of the Cuban restaurants.

gcarter 12-12-2007 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan (Post 2369983)
Gcarter and Bone, welcome to OSO. Being newbies and making comments like that, I'm sure you'll make alot of friends here.:rolleyes:

I also apologise. It was just a comment about some of the people (not boaters) who populate the state I live in.
Everyone knows Florida is made up of about four parts, seemingly populated w/folks from different parts of the country. Maybe the North East purged some of the more difficult folks and they ended up in South Florida. maybe you're better off for that happening.

PARADOX 12-12-2007 10:11 PM

dwtinc.. I apologize.. we are stealing and taking your thread someplace else..

Ed.. It's the Boca thing... and they can have it..

ok I'm done.. I need a cold \'_/

Cash Bar 12-12-2007 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2369978)
LOL.. "resemble" ?? There were a few cool dudes in the West Coast.. Correction. :) very few...
Cash... you need to buy this old Formula and have fun with it for a while. I'm still looking for a new boat for myself.

I have been looking for a new boat for 2.5 years. Since I got my $$ taken by two diff dealers. Now I just decided to wait til it's an MTI that I get from the FACTORY with the MSO. :cool-smiley-011:

dwtinc 12-12-2007 10:16 PM

You all have to admit. There is no better water in the US than Florida. I have been all up the west coast and up the north east coast and along the gulf states from Texas over to Florida. The only thing I have found that is so boater friendly is the Ozarks and like I said it gets cold there. It is 31 degrees right now at the Lake and my computer says its 76 in Lauderdale

dwtinc 12-12-2007 10:19 PM

Paradox I don't mind. Remember its cold as sh:t here and I am not busy. This even helps making up my mind. It gives me an opinion from the people that live there.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-12-2007 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2370021)
You all have to admit. There is no better water in the US than Florida. I have been all up the west coast and up the north east coast and along the gulf states from Texas over to Florida. The only thing I have found that is so boater friendly is the Ozarks and like I said it gets cold there. It is 31 degrees right now at the Lake and my computer says its 76 in Lauderdale

We cool our boat engines here with warm saltwater. The only thing more corrosive is acid!

Today I did a survey and sea trial on a 2005 38' Top Gun with FWC 525 EFIs. Immediately after the marina lifted the boat, they flushed both engines and scrubbed the boat. This is a common practice here if you expect your boat to last and retain its value.

dwtinc 12-12-2007 10:38 PM

I know and am aware of the salt. The water itself is nasty. My boat came from Sunny Isles and thats what was done everytime. Probably haven't seen to many freeze breaks though. What about Lake Okechobee? Or however its spelled. How is the salt content there. What about salt content in the Gulf. Any better or worse?

Cash Bar 12-12-2007 10:51 PM

Lake Okeechobee is a big puddle. Not many(if any) perf boats there.

I love it here. I left Atl after 12 years to return here. I would love to have a plce in ATL, but only if I could winter here in S. Fla.

dwtinc 12-12-2007 10:55 PM

Cash thanks for being the only one that agrees with S. Florida. What town do you live in? Is Lake Okeechobee deep or shallow?

Cash Bar 12-12-2007 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2370050)
Cash thanks for being the only one that agrees with S. Florida. What town do you live in? Is Lake Okeechobee deep or shallow?

Lake Okee is a giant SHALLOW mud puddle. A nearly dried up one too. Average is only about 8ft right now. Down about 4-5 feet from normal.

We have our pros and cons here. People do tend to be azzholes, but I was born here so I can give it as well as take it.

If I could make 70% of the cash I make here in Ga, I would go there, but only 7-8 months a year and only because the average age is like 38.

1CE 12-12-2007 11:04 PM

you-right

Originally Posted by PARADOX (Post 2370006)
Sorry everyone.. It's real serious issue for me, due to my past and personnal reasons, so bare with me.. I just had to say this..
Quote>> President Carter, in his infinite wisdom, allowed Cuba to clean out their jails and insane asylums and let them come into Miami. Do you think it's safe for a white man after dark in most of Miami? Good Luck.<<<<

I also do Construction as a GC in Florida. I have to go to Miami, Dade. Miramar.. Hialiah.. etc. I feel like I'm in a different country. NO ONE SPEAK ENGLISH..!!!
I want to get lunch and I can't becouse everyone assumes I speak some Latin/Spanish?Spanglish or something... and I mean they assume.. I go to the grossery store for something and they tell me how much I owe in Spanish.. Then they wonder why I just wait there untill some one translates.
I have no issues with Spanish, the Latin community, the Chinese, Polish.. I dont care if you from Mars, PLuto or Orian. BUT...
If you live here, work here, take my taxes... YOU BETTER SPEAK MY FF""ING LANGUAGE.
It just get's me so ff'ing angry that my tax dollars are paying for some.. to take their drivers license test in some other language then English. IN THE USA.
(sorry everyone, it's been a hard day. I just had to vent a bit)

:ernaehrung004: I go hide now.

Paradox, vent all u-want it's the unfortunate truth I'l have 1-too \'_/ back to the topic Florida !:o

PARADOX 12-12-2007 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by dwtinc (Post 2370050)

You better use a 4' X8' Plywood with a weed wacker in the back on Lake O..

Cash.. you and I need to talk one of these days about some RE.
BTW.. lol with a name like that.. go get your MTI... hope you get it soon... (what the hey.. get two)
:ernaehrung004:

dwtinc 12-12-2007 11:44 PM

Hey Paradox there is a 35 Fountain (yes the F word) in the classifieds that sounds cheap. 97 for 47 divorce sell. Maybe its something you can use and not loose anything on.

Mark 12-13-2007 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2369651)
Mark, I remember in another thread you saying you were moving back up this way, What part of OH are you from/moving too?
I was planning on dropping everything and moving to Tampa/St. Pete area about 5 yrs ago and buying a liveaboard housboat, and then an opportunity came up here in Cincitucky that brought us here.
The winter isn't nearly as $hitty as Toledo where I grew up...

Hey Bouy, my home is in Morrow - just outside of Lebanon. I'm about 45 min. from the river. Not too far from you. It's just in the country and I'm used to a bit of a drive. We need to meet up when I get back. Just might be at the end of December. Not looking forward to the freakin cold!

I looked at living on a boat myself. My big dog made that a bit unrealistic. Now I have a pup also - too much for a boat. :( Actually, it would cost the same as a decent home here with a pool - but I'd do it if I could.

I spent plenty of summers and a few winter weekends up on Erie. Toledo winters would have put me in a mental ward if it were full time. Florida weather is awesome, but it's tough to make a buck down here at this time.

BTW - How is your older dog doing? If he passed, I'm sorry.