Like Tree0Likes

Info on Bimini?

Reply
Old 12-23-2007, 11:31 AM
  #11
Registered
 
LapseofReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Stafford Va.
My Boats: 98 NORTECH 5000V
Posts: 2,806
Default

Who said I wasn't.
LapseofReason is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 PM
  #12
Registered
 
Semper Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
How can a concrete boat sink in 10 feet of water?
How does a concrete boat float at all.........amazing!!!
Semper Fi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM
  #13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
O.C.Barry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ocean City, MD
My Boats: 28 Cigarette SS Race Edition
Posts: 1,520
Default Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
How does a concrete boat float at all.........amazing!!!
Displacement hull. As long as the volume of air buoyancy inside the hull is greater than the weight of the hull, it floats. Get enough water inside the hull and it sinks regardless of water depth. Think of all of the ships made of steel plate. Without a displacement hull shape, steel sinks like well....an anchor. ;-)

Barry
O.C.Barry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 AM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: looking for a surface
My Boats: 38 Fountain canopy
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.Barry View Post
Displacement hull. As long as the volume of air buoyancy inside the hull is greater than the weight of the hull, it floats. Get enough water inside the hull and it sinks regardless of water depth. Think of all of the ships made of steel plate. Without a displacement hull shape, steel sinks like well....an anchor. ;-)

Barry
A displacement hull means it is non-planing,also the reason it floats has nothing to do with air bouyancy.Things float because their weight is less than the weight of the water the object displaces.Our lesson today is concluded,morons
ON THE CHIP RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 AM
  #15
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
O.C.Barry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ocean City, MD
My Boats: 28 Cigarette SS Race Edition
Posts: 1,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE CHIP RACING View Post
A displacement hull means it is non-planing,also the reason it floats has nothing to do with air bouyancy.Things float because their weight is less than the weight of the water the object displaces.Our lesson today is concluded,morons
Granted for simplicity I was using the word displacement liberally, but by your definition 'Things float because their weight is less than the weight of the water the object displaces.', steel and concrete weigh less than water.

Lesson for you, 'No one is above common courtesy'. ;-) LOL
O.C.Barry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 AM
  #16
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: looking for a surface
My Boats: 38 Fountain canopy
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.Barry View Post
Granted for simplicity I was using the word displacement liberally, but by your definition 'Things float because their weight is less than the weight of the water the object displaces.', steel and concrete weigh less than water.

Lesson for you, 'No one is above common courtesy'. ;-) LOL
Chill,only screwing around
ON THE CHIP RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 AM
  #17
Ed
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ft.Lauderdale, Fl.
Posts: 798
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
How can a concrete boat sink in 10 feet of water?
Gravity.
Ed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:57 AM
  #18
Charter Member #232
Charter Member
 
Audiofn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Carlisle, MA USA
My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454
Posts: 18,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
How can a concrete boat sink in 10 feet of water?
Aliens!!
__________________
Put your best foot forward!
Audiofn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 AM
  #19
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Akron, Ohio
My Boats: 38 fountain SC
Posts: 209
Default

Archimedes' principle states that an object fully or partly immersed in a liquid is buoyed upward by a force equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by that object.
Interior volume cu.ft.> Weight of hull and occupants. 1 cu. ft. of water= 62lbs. Salt water is heavier 62.4lbs
89scarabIII is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 AM
  #20
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)
 
O.C.Barry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ocean City, MD
My Boats: 28 Cigarette SS Race Edition
Posts: 1,520
Default Ensign Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89scarabIII View Post
Archimedes' principle states that an object fully or partly immersed in a liquid is buoyed upward by a force equal to the weight of the liquid displaced by that object.
Interior volume cu.ft.> Weight of hull and occupants. 1 cu. ft. of water= 62lbs. Salt water is heavier 62.4lbs
GREAT answer! As Ensign Parker used to say on McHale's Navy, "Gee I love that kind of talk!"
O.C.Barry is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MikeBaja232
Baja
6
01-08-2013 08:51 AM
fountainguy214
Fountain
8
06-15-2007 12:59 AM
boatman22
Baja
0
05-19-2005 09:23 AM
kathycool
Sonic
2
06-08-2003 07:08 PM
358player
General Boating Discussion
2
12-10-2002 12:47 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.