Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Livorsi Rims Turning Colors >

Livorsi Rims Turning Colors

Notices

Livorsi Rims Turning Colors

Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir, that is a Gaffrig Precision Instrument which is now Livorsi Marine, but those gauges are at least 3 years old. Livorsi has not been shipping gauges with that logo on it for at least 3 years, maybe longer.

I understand that we pay a lot for gauges and you would expect them to last the life of the boat, (I am certain that the boat is well cared for), but it is impossible to offer an indefinite warranty on products, especially those that are used in a marine environment.

If you would like to have the gauges replaced, give me a call and I will work you the best deal I can to have it replaced.

Thanks,
Don B.

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
My brother has a problem with his (he's not computer savvy so I'm asking for him). Who the heck keeps a receipt for these things? I'll ask him but I doubt he has it.

Look at this picture closely, it shows the depth gauge white flaking off. I wish I had a close up, it's pretty bad. I don't have a direct picture of the bezels that are bad, but it's only 2 or 3 of all of them. I'll see if my brother can get better pictures.

We both assumed it was a one off / oddball problem and never bothered writing or asking anyone about it until I saw this thread and found out others have the same issues.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tpmarine.com
Enforcer2,

I am certain that Livorsi will take care of any problems that a few people might have.

I tell you what, if you buy the gauges from me and in 2 years you start to have problems, I will personally fly out to Florida and replace the bad gauges for you...

Seriously, I have no doubt that Livorsi Gauges are the best on the market and we will stand behind the product.

Thanks for the reply, but I dont live in Florida.......YET!!

I will fly to meet you there anyway !!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One year is great, but how about older than that? I sure expect that the gauges, bezels, etc. last more than a year on a well maintained boat.
C'mon now what is a year warranty ????? between rigging ,then going to paint ,test time and 5 mos of winter the year is long gone . Do the auto meter and you'll be happy even with replacements in for a lil work changing them out .good luck guys
Old 12-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Enforcer2
Thanks for the reply, but I dont live in Florida.......YET!!

I will fly to meet you there anyway !!!!!!!
No worries, wherever the boat is...Maryland nice!
Old 12-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Here's the best zoom I can get off hand... crappy quality until I get better shots.
same ything happen to my depth sounder Mike at the time said bring it over and he would fix it as I am quite close to the now Livosi company

He was in the middle of the name change problem so I never did at that time.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I said earlier, we haven't seen these problems with Livorsi products. Just the same, they will stand behind their product. I have NEVER been asked for a receipt for a warranty repair and I've never had to ask a customer for one.

Powder coating has no UV protection and does fade. Flaking or peeling is another issue.

The boats we maintain live inside and are cleaned and dried every time they get put away. Most owners fastidiously clean their boats during the day and cover the seats and panel when they are parked.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by James
Gentlemen - the powder coated bezels ( many of them are) particularly in brite or translucent colors will loose color and gloss retention when exposed to direct UV. Consider these to be maintenance items - dark colors have different pigments and are less likely to fade- Flaking and corrosion is a different problem - Couple of ways to solve the problem, but the price per bezel will go up dramatical - so you will end up with one supplier using low cost coatings selling a bunch of parts and another with a high end coating costing $ 3x the cheap ones not able to survive in the industry - yet provides a superior product

But that would be just the cost difference in the just the bezels?

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strip -
It is always more complicated than just the simple cost -and my response is to the original question about the colors and not the equipment.

As an example a standard stock traslucent powder color may cost $ 15.00 per lbs of material, minimum order is 50 lbs = $ 750.00 of inventory per color and you have 10 color options $ 7,500.00 in inventory that has a shelf life of 1 year + or - . A better performing powder will contain kynar resin, and will have to be custom batch made, cost per color will be about $ 3,000.00 per color x 10 colors --------ok ok you see where this is going - How many bezels do you have to sell to pay for $ 30K worth of inventory with a limited shelf life ? - But many people here on this thread have made excellent points - you pay $ 400K for a boat and have to spend 8 hrs per year changing out bezels ???? Everyone knows if your bezels look bad chances of you getting laid go down dramaticly.

What to do - Give me about 60 days and I will do some test and tell you what cleaning products to stay away from - Taking care of the boat becomes complicated - cleaners with chlorines for instance do a great job, but kill certain painted surfaces and they can be corrosive to aluminum surfaces. Many times water/ cleaners and or salt water migrate behind the bezel and stay wet for weeks between boat uses, many times the corrosion that you see starts from the back side- Certain types of powder coat materials will aborb moisture over time further leading to delamination and flaking -You can similar problems with anodized aluminum bezels for similar reasons.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sir, that is a Gaffrig Precision Instrument which is now Livorsi Marine, but those gauges are at least 3 years old. Livorsi has not been shipping gauges with that logo on it for at least 3 years, maybe longer.

I understand that we pay a lot for gauges and you would expect them to last the life of the boat, (I am certain that the boat is well cared for), but it is impossible to offer an indefinite warranty on products, especially those that are used in a marine environment.

If you would like to have the gauges replaced, give me a call and I will work you the best deal I can to have it replaced.

Thanks,
Don B.
Yes, I know how old it is. Like I said to start off with: both my brother and I figured it was an oddball, s!@# happens so it wasn't too big of a deal until I read in this thread others are having the same issues. We never expected an indefinite warranty, in fact he had planned on just buying replacements... But this thread sure got me thinking. A case by case basis, where a guy with a super well maintained boat has a problem with 3 (out of 20) premium parts is reasonable.

My point of posting at all is he replaced his original VDO gauges (15+ years old, 1000+ hours run time) that were fully functional because they dated the boat. He went with 'the best' with no expense spared, but as it turns out the original VDO's are better because if a Livorsi gauge is "at least 3 years old" you are SOL.

I for one thought that if you buy Livorsi you would reap the benefits considering this quote from Mike Livorsi on the Livorsi web site. "...the highest standard of quality in the industry and, outstanding customer service."

I'm also getting really sick and tired of every marine manufacturer pulling this 'marine environment' BS. I have a 20 year old boat with original hardware and it's all fine. Why? because the manufacturer knew they were making a boat and built it accordingly. I see boats from the 80's and 90's all the time that have original gauges and hardware, so I know I'm not the oddball. Look at just about any 80's or 90's sportfishing boat (which constantly stay in the marine environment, not away from it on a trailer), you'll usually see all original equipment still installed.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for indirectly answering my question since no one else would! Seems I purchased a couple of Gaffrig gauges just before they were bought out? Not a marine gurru or boating know it all here but enjoy boating!

Thanks,
Don B.

Quick Reply: Livorsi Rims Turning Colors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.