Notices

Some Advise Needed!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 04:38 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Proman,

I supervise 2 automotive repair facilities for the NYPD. I have done many accident investigations in my days. The first questions that you have to answers are these. Was or is the sir warning light on the dash illuminated? Do you have the abilty to scan the system for codes? Did the front bags deploy? BTW, SIR means supplemental inflation restraints or air bag system.

I have seen many cars come in that are crashed up with the air bags still safely tucked in their holders. With the exception of finding a system that was disabled due to a problem within the system, I have never found any conclusive evidence as to why the bags didnt deploy. When I say, a problem within the system, I mean that the sir module has detected a fault code , illuminated the warning light on the dash, thereby disabling the system In that scenario, you can drop the car off a building head first, the bags will not deploy.

As Later said, even if the air bag system was working properly, it is very difficult to prove that the bags should have gone off. I have always said, there should be a way of recording "G's" in an impact and storing it in the SIR module. Then it could be easily downloaded with a scanner. That way, there would be no guess work as to whether the bags should have deployed. I am certain that the technology is available, but I guess the auto industry is afraid of the liabilty it would bring to them.

Hope your wife recovers soon.

Last edited by Vinny P; 12-29-2007 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
With an injury like that you need an attorney. Don't go to a one-man show or some small firm, nor to the guy with the largest yellow pages ad. Find out who some of the larger firms are in your area and contact them. If you're in a small town, find one in the closest city. She could have issues for years and a semi-competent attorney is going to be looking for a quick payday for himself. Small players don't have the resources to take on long-haul cases like this.

Was it her fault?
Ditto

Besides, some of these personal injury lawyers work based on a % of judgements or settlements. You've nothing to lose by getting one. BUT you've got a lot to lose if you don't.

Some of these cars have gotten pretty advanced. I know alot of the new GM cars carry a black box similar to what aircrafts use.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 12-29-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Lawyer-up. I do not take PI (personal injury) cases, but as stated in an earlier post, go with a firm that has the resources to properly handle your case, or a big-time PI lawyer (like those who have the full page ad on the back of the Yellow Pages, as an example).