Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Tulip intake valves again (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/176530-tulip-intake-valves-again.html)

inthered 01-03-2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Miller Time (Post 2391827)
So you have no internal flappers? :confused::confused:

No and you know that, I'm working on that now.....:cool-smiley-011:

Chris Sunkin 01-03-2008 01:10 PM

The old Crusader manifolds are a consideration for the SBC motor. They're taller, have the water dumps all the way back, angled out and will also give you a performance gain. Should be the same width as the merc manifold- maybe slightly narrower. if you have the room, you can use spacers from 3/4" plate to allow you valve cover access. If not, you'll need 2-piece units. Someone used to make jacketed stainless tails for them that blocked the water exits at the rear flange. These were a class-legal upgrade for P class way back when.

I wouldn't do anything until I knew for certain what was in the motors.

JJONES 01-03-2008 01:26 PM

I had 350s in a boat once that did the same thing.I spent months trying to figure it out.The last time around I installed manley stainless valves.I also found that one side of my carb was stuck closed.The float was up with no gas.This was my problem,id hit a wave and the float would bounce up and stick causing a lean condition and tulipping the valves.The carbs were edlebrocks and the floats would slide up and down 2 rods if I remember correctly.The flaost were getting stuck on the rods and staying closed.I put demons on and never had a problem again!

mr_velocity 01-03-2008 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by inthered (Post 2390305)
I checked the ignition boxes the other day, and what a suprise I got, one is a V-8- 24, the other is a V-6-14, so I know that I will need to get at least one new box, like I said I got the boat last year and it ran fine for a while, and then problems, I was setting the total time to 34 deg, however maybe I'll back that down to 30 deg. the plugs all looked good, untill I statred having problems, then I would check them they would be wet, not fuel wet, water wet, what I think might have happened was the first time I ran it hard, I blew it up, it was a head gasket, and the second time maybe timing, or pre-ignition

Get another v-6 module, you'll be much happier with the timing curve.

inthered 01-03-2008 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity (Post 2392058)
Get another v-6 module, you'll be much happier with the timing curve.

Is that true?????

Pwrbt33 01-03-2008 04:30 PM

Biggest problem you might have is the motor has to be perfect so you dont have any starting issues with 20 degrees initial timing. Some motors after they are warm dont like to start up very easy with that much initial. Do you have any MSD ignition or Crane ignition boxes?

mikesspeedparts 08-18-2010 02:31 PM

I think Strip Poker 388 in closer to the problem than you might think. The gas out there today has a lot of alcohol in it and not the best for playing on the water or at the track. You should definately try to use 89 to 93 if you can. It is a mind set that it cost too much. If you bought 20 gallons and spent an extra $. 1.00 a gallon it is only 20 bucks. How much was the engine work? Take a little from all the suggestions and I think you just might be ok. That is my suggestions anyway. Good Luck.

Griff 08-19-2010 01:17 AM

He probably fixed this issue from 2.5 years ago:lolhit: