Like Tree0Likes

Tulip intake valves again

Reply
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My Boats: Checkmate 281
Posts: 24
Default Tulip intake valves again

Okay I need help, I have twin 350ís in my 28ft Checkmate, and am afraid that it will happen again, some background on my problems, bought the boat early last season, had it in the water early ran great, one day decided to see how it would run wide opened, it ran great for a bit and then started popping through carb on one side, okay not good, I managed to get it home, pull top end off motors and messed up the valves, okay so I have the heads all redone, slap it all back together run it for about a month and bam, bad valves again, now Iím thinking it has to be reversion, set out on a mission to get performance exhaust, nothing would fit, turns out motor placement is to tight, EMI no good Stainless could not help, got burned by Trick on the hole thing nightmare, anyway I got a hold of the cam card and part number for the camís only 220 duration, so it looks like itís not Reversion, so I think I need help on timing, or has anyone had this problem before, any ideas would be great, could it be pre-ignition? I have the timing set to 34 deg total advanced, I just canít figure it out.
inthered is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
  #2
Registered
Trade Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 613
Default

------Im no expert but it sounds like your engines are running lean. Fix it and fatten up the secondaries some, and also get more input than just me (LOL). I still have a valve out of my old Mistress (twin 540s) thats at least a quarter of an inch longer than when it was new. Did just what yours did and the miracle is that it didnt break off and destroy the whole motor.......Bill S
olredalert is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Spicewood, Texas USA
My Boats: 28' Nordic Heat
Posts: 1,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthered View Post
Okay I need help, I have twin 350ís in my 28ft Checkmate, and am afraid that it will happen again, some background on my problems, bought the boat early last season, had it in the water early ran great, one day decided to see how it would run wide opened, it ran great for a bit and then started popping through carb on one side, okay not good, I managed to get it home, pull top end off motors and messed up the valves, okay so I have the heads all redone, slap it all back together run it for about a month and bam, bad valves again, now Iím thinking it has to be reversion, set out on a mission to get performance exhaust, nothing would fit, turns out motor placement is to tight, EMI no good Stainless could not help, got burned by Trick on the hole thing nightmare, anyway I got a hold of the cam card and part number for the camís only 220 duration, so it looks like itís not Reversion, so I think I need help on timing, or has anyone had this problem before, any ideas would be great, could it be pre-ignition? I have the timing set to 34 deg total advanced, I just canít figure it out.
Timing will certainly do it. Depends on what heads and compression you are running. If they have fast burn heads, such as a Vortec engine that's way too much timing. About 30 degrees maximum. Lean A/F mixture will also do it.
bobl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:48 AM
  #4
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
My Boats: Checkmate 281
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobl View Post
Timing will certainly do it. Depends on what heads and compression you are running. If they have fast burn heads, such as a Vortec engine that's way too much timing. About 30 degrees maximum. Lean A/F mixture will also do it.
Don't have fast burn heads, So I will see if I can ajust the carb, maybe bigger jets, don't know much about carbs only that they are 750's holley, I do however have a box of Jets that came with to boat, I'll have to see what is in it now and maybe step up, I think you go two up or two down? but a good place to start. Thanks, Fast Frank
inthered is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:05 AM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: cincinnati, ohio
My Boats: 1999 Mystic 32 cat
Posts: 607
Default

Read the plugs!!
bobkatz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:46 AM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sussex, WI
Posts: 543
Default

spend the money to set it up on dyno, then you will know exactly where you are at and what needs to be done.

Or spend the money rebuilding your motors.
RonS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
  #7
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (2)
 
Pwrbt33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Curtis Bay, Md USA
Posts: 2,122
Default

What do you have for ignition boxes on this boat? Do you set total or do you set initual and add the boxes to it? Also how did you adjustt the valves? All food for thought. And do you have vacuum secondarys or Mechanical?
Pwrbt33 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatz View Post
Read the plugs!!


The plugs will tell you if it's lean and I agree with that diagnosis so far...

reversion usually shows up at idle
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
  #9
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member
 
obnoxus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New Lenox , Il
My Boats: 2000 36 OUTLAW SOLD SHOPPING
Posts: 3,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post


The plugs will tell you if it's lean and I agree with that diagnosis so far...

reversion usually shows up at idle

+1.
__________________
IF YOUR UNDER CONTROL,,,,,YOUR NOT GOING FAST ENOUGH !!!!
obnoxus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:36 PM
  #10
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)
 
Strip Poker 388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madison,Mississippi
My Boats: Hustler 388
Posts: 21,567
Default

I have a buddy that it did the same us you, Stock 350 he was running the cheapest gas he could find, 87oct,It would tulip the valves , they put in a good grade stainless valve in it and told him to run 89, i think he;s still running the 87 but he hasnt had anymore probs, Just throwing a idear out there.Goodluck
__________________
.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Strip Poker 388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Pat Ousborne
Fountain
2
10-20-2008 12:59 PM
Pat Ousborne
Fountain
3
08-05-2008 09:10 AM
mkulikow
General Q & A
7
04-27-2006 01:00 PM
pb
General Q & A
11
09-14-2003 10:56 AM
WETTE VETTE
General Q & A
2
03-13-2002 08:58 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.