Like Tree0Likes

Best Upgrades 496ho???

Reply
Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 AM
  #31
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
My Boats: 2003 Crownline 225BR - BES/Raylar 496
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live wire View Post
Thanks everyone for your help but after much debate and a nice converstion with Ray from Raylar.I have decided to go with the 100 HP Raylar kit mostly for the fact that I can run it on pump gas and retain the existing exhaust manifolds to keep it quiet when the kids are aboard and around the marina.Beside the great bolt on power I like the fact that it is still reliable and user friendly and that doesnt compromise the short block components.The boat currently runs a solid 74 and with this upgrade should put me at 80+mph .Which for me in this boat is plenty for now.
Good choice. Do yourself a favor and get a good 02 sensor. FASS has a nice unit that measures both sides and can mount it in the cockpit.
Hot 4 Teacher is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:55 AM
  #32
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member
 
tblrklakemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SW Missouri
My Boats: In the Slow Lane
Posts: 2,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live wire View Post
Thanks everyone for your help but after much debate and a nice converstion with Ray from Raylar.I have decided to go with the 100 HP Raylar kit mostly for the fact that I can run it on pump gas and retain the existing exhaust manifolds to keep it quiet when the kids are aboard and around the marina.Beside the great bolt on power I like the fact that it is still reliable and user friendly and that doesnt compromise the short block components.The boat currently runs a solid 74 and with this upgrade should put me at 80+mph .Which for me in this boat is plenty for now.
wow.....74 out of a 288? on the GPS?
tblrklakemo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 AM
  #33
Registered
 
Canada Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario,Canada baby!
My Boats: Sunsation and Apache
Posts: 1,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot 4 Teacher View Post
Good choice. Do yourself a favor and get a good 02 sensor. FASS has a nice unit that measures both sides and can mount it in the cockpit.
Does this work with the computer too? I asume he will have to drill holes in the exhaust system to mount these sensors.

Or do you mean Pyro's ?
Canada Jeff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 PM
  #34
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: HUDSON RIVER and L.I. SOUND
My Boats: 08' 288 SUNSATION 700HP
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblrklakemo View Post
wow.....74 out of a 288? on the GPS?
It ran 75.2 with the wind and current and 72.4 against for an average of 73.8mph
Attached Thumbnails
Best Upgrades 496ho???-1028071715.jpg  
live wire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:51 PM
  #35
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Knot 4 Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central IL
My Boats: Old/Heavy/Slow
Posts: 6,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live wire View Post
It ran 75.2 with the wind and current and 72.4 against for an average of 73.8mph
That is not a GPS speedo so I assume those numbers are off of a handheld GPS? If so, wow!!! You by far have the fastest 288/496HO boat out there! Congrats! If you do not already have hydraulic steering, I highly recommend you add it when you install the Raylar kit. You will want the saftely factor running the speeds you will see post-Raylar. In fact, you are already running numbers where you need hydraulic steering.
Knot 4 Me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 PM
  #36
Registered
 
Canada Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario,Canada baby!
My Boats: Sunsation and Apache
Posts: 1,566
Default

I agree with the hyd steering! Changes the boats feel huge!! WAY more control. I have run a 288 without hyd steering, it was like a different boat.
Canada Jeff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:59 PM
  #37
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Omaha, NE, LOTO
My Boats: 05' Sunsation Dominator
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
That is not a GPS speedo so I assume those numbers are off of a handheld GPS? If so, wow!!! You by far have the fastest 288/496HO boat out there! Congrats! If you do not already have hydraulic steering, I highly recommend you add it when you install the Raylar kit. You will want the saftely factor running the speeds you will see post-Raylar. In fact, you are already running numbers where you need hydraulic steering.
Good point, Hyd. Steering is a must!
chevyzq8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 PM
  #38
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: HUDSON RIVER and L.I. SOUND
My Boats: 08' 288 SUNSATION 700HP
Posts: 434
Default

What does hyd. steering usually cost .Between the raylar kit,a b blade prop and pumping up the stereo is about I want to dump into this boat since I'm looking to move up to a 32' .Is the Hyd. steering just something nice to have or is it manditory.The boat tracks and steers perfectly now even flat out.

Last edited by live wire; 01-18-2008 at 05:41 PM.
live wire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:51 PM
  #39
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: HUDSON RIVER and L.I. SOUND
My Boats: 08' 288 SUNSATION 700HP
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
That is not a GPS speedo so I assume those numbers are off of a handheld GPS? If so, wow!!! You by far have the fastest 288/496HO boat out there! Congrats!
The speed was recorded using garmin 330 street pilot,the temp was in the 40's with a 1-2 chop.
Thanks on the congrats, but I have run next to another 08' 288 496HO running well into the 70's and have heard of other 288 running in the 70's as well.
live wire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 PM
  #40
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Mentalpause's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: IL...LOTO
My Boats: Nor-Tech 340 CC
Posts: 3,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by live wire View Post
What does hyd. steering usually cost .Between the raylar kit,a b blade prop and pumping up the stereo is about I want to dump into this boat since I'm looking to move up to a 32' .Is the Hyd. steering just something nice to have or is it manditory.The boat tracks and steers perfectly now even flat out.
Save your money and put it into the new boat! You will never get your money out of the upgrade, you are more likely to lose value. Just my opinion.

And honestly, if you really have an HO in a 288 running 74, you have the fastest one on the planet, so why upgrade?
Mentalpause is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Big Cliff
General Boating Discussion
7
08-31-2007 09:02 PM
Chris
General Q & A
8
01-14-2007 04:14 PM
Wardey
General Boating Discussion
5
01-30-2004 12:34 AM
buckknekkid
General Boating Discussion
15
03-18-2003 06:43 AM
F223LS
General Q & A
9
03-29-2002 11:24 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.