Notices

Best Upgrades 496ho???

Old 01-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by live wire
Thanks everyone for your help but after much debate and a nice converstion with Ray from Raylar.I have decided to go with the 100 HP Raylar kit mostly for the fact that I can run it on pump gas and retain the existing exhaust manifolds to keep it quiet when the kids are aboard and around the marina.Beside the great bolt on power I like the fact that it is still reliable and user friendly and that doesnt compromise the short block components.The boat currently runs a solid 74 and with this upgrade should put me at 80+mph .Which for me in this boat is plenty for now.
Good choice. Do yourself a favor and get a good 02 sensor. FASS has a nice unit that measures both sides and can mount it in the cockpit.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Thanks everyone for your help but after much debate and a nice converstion with Ray from Raylar.I have decided to go with the 100 HP Raylar kit mostly for the fact that I can run it on pump gas and retain the existing exhaust manifolds to keep it quiet when the kids are aboard and around the marina.Beside the great bolt on power I like the fact that it is still reliable and user friendly and that doesnt compromise the short block components.The boat currently runs a solid 74 and with this upgrade should put me at 80+mph .Which for me in this boat is plenty for now.
wow.....74 out of a 288? on the GPS?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot 4 Teacher
Good choice. Do yourself a favor and get a good 02 sensor. FASS has a nice unit that measures both sides and can mount it in the cockpit.
Does this work with the computer too? I asume he will have to drill holes in the exhaust system to mount these sensors.

Or do you mean Pyro's ?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
wow.....74 out of a 288? on the GPS?
It ran 75.2 with the wind and current and 72.4 against for an average of 73.8mph
Attached Thumbnails Best Upgrades 496ho???-1028071715.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

It ran 75.2 with the wind and current and 72.4 against for an average of 73.8mph
That is not a GPS speedo so I assume those numbers are off of a handheld GPS? If so, wow!!! You by far have the fastest 288/496HO boat out there! Congrats! If you do not already have hydraulic steering, I highly recommend you add it when you install the Raylar kit. You will want the saftely factor running the speeds you will see post-Raylar. In fact, you are already running numbers where you need hydraulic steering.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Registered

I agree with the hyd steering! Changes the boats feel huge!! WAY more control. I have run a 288 without hyd steering, it was like a different boat.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
That is not a GPS speedo so I assume those numbers are off of a handheld GPS? If so, wow!!! You by far have the fastest 288/496HO boat out there! Congrats! If you do not already have hydraulic steering, I highly recommend you add it when you install the Raylar kit. You will want the saftely factor running the speeds you will see post-Raylar. In fact, you are already running numbers where you need hydraulic steering.
Good point, Hyd. Steering is a must!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered

What does hyd. steering usually cost .Between the raylar kit,a b blade prop and pumping up the stereo is about I want to dump into this boat since I'm looking to move up to a 32' .Is the Hyd. steering just something nice to have or is it manditory.The boat tracks and steers perfectly now even flat out.

Last edited by live wire; 01-18-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
That is not a GPS speedo so I assume those numbers are off of a handheld GPS? If so, wow!!! You by far have the fastest 288/496HO boat out there! Congrats!
The speed was recorded using garmin 330 street pilot,the temp was in the 40's with a 1-2 chop.
Thanks on the congrats, but I have run next to another 08' 288 496HO running well into the 70's and have heard of other 288 running in the 70's as well.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

What does hyd. steering usually cost .Between the raylar kit,a b blade prop and pumping up the stereo is about I want to dump into this boat since I'm looking to move up to a 32' .Is the Hyd. steering just something nice to have or is it manditory.The boat tracks and steers perfectly now even flat out.
Save your money and put it into the new boat! You will never get your money out of the upgrade, you are more likely to lose value. Just my opinion.

And honestly, if you really have an HO in a 288 running 74, you have the fastest one on the planet, so why upgrade?

Quick Reply: Best Upgrades 496ho???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.