Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them? >

Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?

Like Tree0Likes

Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?

Reply

Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Point Pleasant/Demarest NJ
My Boat: 2006 32 Skater Qtr canopy
Posts: 1,029
Default

Rocker Plates
Attached Thumbnails Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?-skater-trailer-rocker-arneson.jpg  
Pro1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:56 AM
  #12
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boat: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,665
Default

Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Drag induced from a small contact area on each tab is less than the drag induced from the total area from each rocker plate in constant contact with the water. If both are able to alter the flow of water past the hull downward, and and thus force the stern up and the bow down, why not choose the tab that creates less drag?

I understand the ease or correcting a problem with a simple bolt on. But why add wetted surface when either rocker or hook can be added or removed from the hull, or the cg can be changed?
you don't necessarily add surface. Big boats, as well as the big cat shown above, use them integrated into the hull design.

Look at big sport fishing boats, most use the rocker design in some fashion, except more simplified.
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:35 PM
  #13
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boat: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,306
Default

Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Drag induced from a small contact area on each tab is less than the drag induced from the total area from each rocker plate in constant contact with the water. If both are able to alter the flow of water past the hull downward, and and thus force the stern up and the bow down, why not choose the tab that creates less drag?

I understand the ease or correcting a problem with a simple bolt on. But why add wetted surface when either rocker or hook can be added or removed from the hull, or the cg can be changed?
Because you can add or remove rocker/hook INSTANTLY and choose how much you want to add/remove. The benefit isn't from the added wetted surface(although with some boats it would help), the benefit is the added wetted surface can be instantly adjusted.

The theory behind them is using them for hook will give you more stern lift with less drag than a K-plane=more speed and using them for rocker will give you more bow lift with less positeve trim-more speed.
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:44 PM
  #14
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
iTrader: (1)
 
glassdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: toledo oh
My Boat: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
Posts: 12,835
Default

Originally Posted by Pro1 View Post
Rocker Plates

Nice! . . . what boat is that?
__________________
Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
glassdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:34 PM
  #15
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
My Boat: 1987 Scarab Panther
Posts: 2,186
Default

These are available. $1700
Attached Thumbnails Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?-imgp0968-r1.jpg   Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?-imgp0486.jpg  
BenPerfected is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:07 PM
  #16
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boat: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,306
Default

Originally Posted by BenPerfected View Post
These are available. $1700

Dayuum that's a nice looking business-end of your boat!
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM
  #17
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Annapolis/1000 Islands
My Boat: S-29 Talbot Excavating Crew Chief
Posts: 445
Default

Originally Posted by onesickpantera View Post
Because you can add or remove rocker/hook INSTANTLY and choose how much you want to add/remove. The benefit isn't from the added wetted surface(although with some boats it would help), the benefit is the added wetted surface can be instantly adjusted.

The theory behind them is using them for hook will give you more stern lift with less drag than a K-plane=more speed and using them for rocker will give you more bow lift with less positeve trim-more speed.
OK, but if they are able to increase speed, why are they rarely seen on raceboats?
BradH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 PM
  #18
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
onesickpantera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Michigan
My Boat: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport
Posts: 4,306
Default

Originally Posted by BradH View Post
OK, but if they are able to increase speed, why are they rarely seen on raceboats?
As Clay said in racing situations maybe because they poduce less drag so they can't use them to drag and lean the boat into high speed turns?
onesickpantera is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:06 AM
  #19
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Biggus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Naples, Maine
My Boat: 02 Cigarette Mystique T/S
Posts: 6,298
Default

Thanks for the feedback!
Biggus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:58 PM
  #20
Registered
iTrader: (2)
 
DONZI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: BRIDGEWATER MA.
My Boat: DONZI 22 CLASSIC LIMITED
Posts: 672
Default

Originally Posted by BenPerfected View Post
I have a pair in excellent condition. Fresh water use only.
If still available. I maybe interested also.
My email addy-
[email protected]
Thanks Ken
DONZI is offline  
Reply With Quote

Quick Reply: Arneson Rocker Plates, anyone using them?


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser