Notices

10% to make a offer?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I was dealing with a broker at one time and he asked for 10% down before bringing the offer to the table. Basically what I found out is the 10% was his brokerage fee. This way if you meet the owner on the test ride and try to by-pass the broker (at a later date) the broker already has his money.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats completely insane..... ALL BROKERS will require a signed contract and deposit to present the offer, usually just fax a copy of the check or they make a copy of it to send it over with the contract/offer to get the ball rolling..... To take your money and put it in Escrow?? They are creating alot of work on there end...
Old 01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10% is the sellers side of bizz,Not the buyers......Never heard of such a thing.After price is set then you get to deposits.....Thats how all of my deals went down..
Old 01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They want you to pay 10% just to pass along an offer?? That's fvck'n insanity. There not really doing the seller much justice with that attitude. Like was said, give them your terms and a timeframe or you'll deal directly with the owner.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
The Joys of brokerage boats... they want 10% of asking price to pass along a offer on a boat... does anyone ever do this?.. On several hundred thousand dollars that a lot of coin just to ask a question... then try to get it back if they say no...

What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Jeff
Well......one of the reasons why you've never seen this is because it may be illegal. As I understand its 10% down just to present the offer. I know for a fact that realtors must present all offers to the owners, it does not matter how low it is. I would think that similar agent laws exist for selling a boat.

I'm no lawyer, but if you really like the boat it may be worth a phone call to one.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

Default Deposit

Originally Posted by customryder
The Joys of brokerage boats... they want 10% of asking price to pass along a offer on a boat... does anyone ever do this?.. On several hundred thousand dollars that a lot of coin just to ask a question... then try to get it back if they say no...

What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Jeff
Sounds like Tres Martin.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered

Doesn't Barrett Jackson charge 10% on each side ( i.e. 10% from seller and 10% from buyer). Of course they do a little more work for that 10% and are on T.V.Mike
Old 01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Registered

Tell the broker that "People in Hell wan't ice water too"
Old 01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

How about make an offer with a 10% deposit upon acceptance of the Seller? He is protecting his commission is all. Believe me in this market any offer will get presented if you write one that is not foolsih. I have bought a number of boats with brokers and they are weeding out the tire kickers. Yes I have used earnest money upon acceptance or presented with a check to be deposited in escrow upon acceptance.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Registered

I think everyone is confused on this.....If you are trying to buy, it is normal that the broker take 10% in escrow of the offer, as good faith money. That is usally based upon several things: One, timeline on offer presented. Two, response timeline. Three, upon rejection timeline for refund from the broker, with NO FEE. All real estate deals are done this way as well, most of you should be aware of this. And with most offshores costing upwards of 100K it makes sence. My feeling as a seller is that if a prospective buyer does not have 10% cash to put into escro for a short period of time, then they really can't afford the boat....

Just my two cents

Quick Reply: 10% to make a offer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.