Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   It's Been 5 Years Since My Accident (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/179172-its-been-5-years-since-my-accident.html)

FeverMike 02-05-2008 10:40 PM

It's Been 5 Years Since My Accident

I surely do not want to depress anyone and I just wanted to reflect and thank those who wished me well with thoughts and prayers 5 years ago when I had a life changing experience.

For those of you that were not on this forum back in February 2003 I was on my motorcycle on Tuesday the 6th when a mini-van on coming took a left turn into me. I broke every bone in my left arm, compound fractures, multiple bones in my left hand, 2 bones in my right arm, fractured my left pelvis plus is flat lined twice from blood loss and cardiac arrest on the operating table. On February 10th the doctor had to remove my entire left leg in order to save my life. My left femur was shattered and my femoral artery was ripped apart and they could not repair it. I had the best vascular surgeon in the world Dr. Thomas Kerr...a total miracle worker who saved my life.

I was wearing my Arai full face helmet, long pants, Sidi Vert2 boots, Technic Kevlar/Carbon gloves and one of the best Technic jackets money could by. Let this be a lesson for all you motorcycle riders out there. It is the most dangerous hobby around but you have to wear the proper riding gear to have a chance to live...even if you are on a Harley.....going gear less might look cool but I can tell you dead ain't cool!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=Fever+Mike

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ght=Fever+Mike

Again, thanks for the online friendship with all of you and the personal friendship to those in my life.Through OSO I have become friends with a few of you on here. I travel for my job all over the southeast and try to see some of you. Hollis you are my bud!Even though I do not get to see a lot of my local friends all anymore, Mike & Lisa Haney, Steve Miklos, Mike Alweiss, Kent Perroux, Adib Mastry, Gary D, I often think about you all and what you all did for Lisa and me! I really miss you guys! Steve thanks for this website! It keeps me company every night when I travel on the road for business.

se ya, Mike Carter

waterboy222 02-05-2008 10:45 PM

wow. Reason #23893 my 600 only sees track days now.. with cell phones, kids, DOGS and drunks in vehicles, its no longer a leisure activity to ride on the street.. I wish you the best of luck with your struggles and sent up a prayer thanking Him for saving another riders life.

TLR, TLS, 600 F4i and 954.. could break every posted speed limit in the U.S. in first gear. They wont be around when my kids (that i havent had yet) want to learn to ride.

Baja_Bigdog 02-05-2008 10:51 PM

Hey Mike....as a rider, I cringe when ever I read stories like this...but I'm glad to hear you are doing ok and have a great outlook on life even after having it changed in the blink of an eye.

Wardey 02-05-2008 11:23 PM

God Bless you are still here Mike !!! I remember this as it was yesterday when Miklos called me and told the the bad news. Thank God you are with us today. Dave

Michael1 02-05-2008 11:40 PM

Mike,

I wasn't on the forum in 2003, but I did appreciate hearing your story. Sometimes a good dose of reality as told in your story really brings things back into perspective.

Best wishes,

Michael

CigDaze 02-06-2008 07:20 AM

All the very best to you Mike and Lisa. Wow, 5 years, how time flies.
:)

AB From Windsor 02-06-2008 07:33 AM

Hi Mike!

Wasn't a member back then but am glad to see that you are still with us. After reading your Thread it is a miracle that you are still here. Best Wishes for you Mike.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-06-2008 07:47 AM

:(All the very best to you Mike and Lisa. Life is just way to short .:(

dirtlawyer 02-06-2008 08:03 AM

Mike - we are all glad your are still with us and your recovery has been amazing.

Need to get together with you and Lisa soon.

klaw 02-06-2008 08:29 AM

congratulation on the progrss

THEJOKER 02-06-2008 08:44 AM

Mike:

You are by far one of the toughest dudes I have ever met. One thing that I've always admired about you is your attitude about life. Friends for life bud! Brian

THEJOKER 02-06-2008 08:47 AM

Mike show off that bad azz bionic leg!

DRIVEN1 02-06-2008 08:51 AM

Mike, you are an inspiration to us all. Dylan still talks about the man with the bionic leg that was on our boat. Thinking about what you have been thru, it really makes me rethink my priorities in life and what is really important. Heather tells me this daily when she gets home from the Hospital and tells me about the patients she saw that day. Sooner or later I am going to get out to the track with you. I will be at the Miami show on Friday, so maybe I will see you then. Mike

FeverMike 02-06-2008 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 2434766)
Mike,

I wasn't on the forum in 2003, but I did appreciate hearing your story. Sometimes a good dose of reality as told in your story really brings things back into perspective.

Best wishes,

Michael

Awesome, that was my whole idea about my post. Hopefully someone will learn from what happened to me.

FeverMike 02-06-2008 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 2434895)
All the very best to you Mike and Lisa. Wow, 5 years, how time flies.
:)

Yep Nick, time flies and life goes on with or with out ya...I choose to still be a part of it. Hope to see you guys soon!

FeverMike 02-06-2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by dirtlawyer (Post 2434937)
Mike - we are all glad your are still with us and your recovery has been amazing.

Need to get together with you and Lisa soon.

Where have you been? How's Nancy? Let's meet for dinner or come over to the house and go boating sometime soon!

FeverMike 02-06-2008 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER (Post 2434982)
Mike show off that bad azz bionic leg!

Yeah! I just got a new carbon fiber socket and a new C-Leg that comes with a key fob for some different programming. I will try to post a picture tonight when I get back home.

FeverMike 02-06-2008 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1 (Post 2434987)
Mike, you are an inspiration to us all. Dylan still talks about the man with the bionic leg that was on our boat. Thinking about what you have been thru, it really makes me rethink my priorities in life and what is really important. Heather tells me this daily when she gets home from the Hospital and tells me about the patients she saw that day. Sooner or later I am going to get out to the track with you. I will be at the Miami show on Friday, so maybe I will see you then. Mike

I will be at the show on Friday. How's the new house? I gotta see it! Tell Dylan HI!

see ya! Mike

lucky strike 02-06-2008 09:25 AM

Hey Mike...Long time no see...... Sounds like all is well. Say hi to Lisa for us. Mabe we'll hook up again at a poker run some day.

Steve, Meta, Bobby & Jason

jayboat 02-06-2008 09:33 AM

Best wishes to you, Mike. Your story is inspirational.

Strip Poker 388 02-06-2008 09:58 AM

Thanks for the wake up call, Ya just never know what could happen.Mike you are a inspiration to us ,Hollar the next time your thru town bro:D

rob

fountain1fan 02-06-2008 09:58 AM

hi mike glad you are doing ok .

CigDaze 02-06-2008 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by FeverMike (Post 2435011)
Yep Nick, time flies and life goes on with or with out ya...I choose to still be a part of it. Hope to see you guys soon!

Ya man, gotta hang out soon. Erin and I were just talking about you guys! See you soon.

T2x 02-06-2008 01:35 PM

Mike:

Like me you are a pain in the *ss sometimes, but you have certainly earned it the hard way. For the record I enjoy our occasional debates and am thrillled at your recovery.

Keep up the attitude and the passion for safety......

Best wishes

Rich

Sick Nordic 02-06-2008 01:49 PM

Funny this just came up. My brother in law was just killed Monday on his bike in Florida. He is being transported to NY as we speak so we can bury him at 38 yrs old. I was an avid rider with many different bikes and sold my last one in Nov. It is just too dangerous.

pullmytrigger 02-06-2008 01:52 PM

that was 5 yrs ago already??.......whoa!......glad to hear your doing ok Mike......doug

so is it ok to start posting things again about 29 Fountains to purposly pizz you off....????:D:D:cool-smiley-011:

Xchoke03 02-06-2008 01:57 PM

Your story is a true eye opener. Thank God you were able to survive this ordeal, you are an inspiration.

dykstra 02-06-2008 02:32 PM

Congrats on your progress!

Audiofn 02-06-2008 02:57 PM

Man it seems like yesterday that happened. I am so glad that you have pulled through the way that you have.

baddogz28 02-06-2008 03:11 PM

Had a close call myself on my Harley last summer, I was going 50 or so with a few friends on Rt 83, which is a 4 lane divided highway, and a woman had been driving the entire length of the highway into oncoming traffic. I couldn't tell she was in my lane because it was dark... Swerved and narrowly missed a head on collision with her CRV. I would have been in bad shape for sure.

Thanks for the post Mike, reminds me that I'm not invincible.

DRIVEN1 02-06-2008 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by FeverMike (Post 2435015)
I will be at the show on Friday. How's the new house? I gotta see it! Tell Dylan HI! Call me when you are at the show 813-335-2937

see ya! Mike

New house is great, just neet to sell the old house. I will give you a call when we are down there on Friday. Mike

Phantom1 02-06-2008 08:29 PM

I love your attitude, and I still owe you lunch or drinks the next time you are in Columbia!

Mike

FeverMike 02-06-2008 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 2435413)
Mike:

Like me you are a pain in the *ss sometimes, but you have certainly earned it the hard way. For the record I enjoy our occasional debates and am thrillled at your recovery.

Keep up the attitude and the passion for safety......

Best wishes

Rich

Hey, Rich much respect to you too! Always enjoy the banter with you on OSO! Take care! Mike

FeverMike 02-06-2008 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger (Post 2435436)
that was 5 yrs ago already??.......whoa!......glad to hear your doing ok Mike......doug

so is it ok to start posting things again about 29 Fountains to purposly pizz you off....????:D:D:cool-smiley-011:

Yep, totally ok to post about 29 Fountains...anything you want...I don;t own one anyomore!:D They are a great 24' boat though!:party-smiley-004:

Mike 35 Fountain 02-06-2008 08:46 PM

I too remember your accident like it was yesterday.

I still have 2 bikes........but dont ride alot. I remember
reading daily about your progress and how they really didn't
have much hope at the time. Glad you are well.

Best of luck

Mike

Magicfloat 02-06-2008 08:53 PM

Hey,Mike,I remember when you called me after my car wreck about 10 months after yours. Tho not nearly as serious as your accident,it was also a close call for me. You cheered me up and had good thoughts to keep my spirits up. I still remember exactly where I was sitting when you called and still remember everything you told me. Thanks for your support,it helped me when I saw things thru your experience. Take care,and if you ever pass thru Jasper,AL,please stop in and let me buy you dinner and some beers. Robert

Expensive Date 02-06-2008 10:25 PM

Mike your positive attitude about this is just amazing.Have you ever thought of doing motivational speeches?

matador 02-07-2008 12:09 AM

Mike,I wasnt around this site five years ago,however about 12 years ago I was with Daniel Scioli(la gran argentina) on a boat race in argentina in which he lost his arm;but he didnt give up an; later no only he won a bunch of races with Fabio Buzzi,but later he got elected the Vice President of Argentina.
Dont give up kid ......sky's the limit....good luck to you.

T2x 02-07-2008 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sick Nordic (Post 2435430)
Funny this just came up. My brother in law was just killed Monday on his bike in Florida. He is being transported to NY as we speak so we can bury him at 38 yrs old. I was an avid rider with many different bikes and sold my last one in Nov. It is just too dangerous.

God Bless Him

FeverMike 02-07-2008 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Expensive Date (Post 2436205)
Mike your positive attitude about this is just amazing.Have you ever thought of doing motivational speeches?

No not really, my wifes sister mentioned that before. I would not have a clue on how to get started in that field anyway.

I'm not sure how much of a speech I would have since I basically sum it all up as, Mind over matter, life goes on with or with out you. You can either go down the depressed road or the make the best of it road. There is still a lot to be thankful and happy for and things to do in life with or with out a leg or arm or whatever. There is always someone worse off than you and better off than you. What road do you want to follow?