Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bow Thruster/Performance boat ?? >

Bow Thruster/Performance boat ??

Notices

Bow Thruster/Performance boat ??

Old 02-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great feedback guys........it is interesting to see others have thought about this and a few have even done it..........I don't know if I will actually go for it in a 35' but it is worth some investigation......

Rob........like anything else in boating it comes down to the compitance of who ever is doing the job.......If I were to do this I will be doing some very thorough investigation..........
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Registered

The Cult strikes again You guys are sooo mean
Old 02-08-2008, 12:30 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fabricator
I wondered where the limits to those stresses are. My brother in law has a bow thruster on his Midnight Express, we've plowed it through some big water and it doesn't seem to hurt it any. Sure is nice to have a little help docking it in a heavy crosswind though!

I would think that if the tube was installed correctly that the front of the boat would be stronger. The only thing to worry about for some of us is beating the thruster motor to death. If you are a constant stick bender in rough water that unit would get the holy heck pounded out of it!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve H
I would think that if the tube was installed correctly that the front of the boat would be stronger. The only thing to worry about for some of us is beating the thruster motor to death. If you are a constant stick bender in rough water that unit would get the holy heck pounded out of it!
They flair out the hull to flow water away from the thruster tube nd motor and the motor is mounted deep in the hull.

It is interesting to look at it, once you see it, you will know htat there are no issues with it.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have the fourth one installed in a 46 Black Thunder. Will not own another boat without one because I live in windy conditions. They actually have the mfg. fly in to the BT factory and install it. It does require a very large electrical line with isolator (so you don't fry your engine electronics). I've had friends run next to me and say in larger waves that water shoots through the bow thruster tube. Maiden voyage was with 11 other BT's to Key West. They all laughed at me until we docked at Key West. Then they started asking the owner of BT about installing one in their boats. They are expensive. Needed for long and tall boats. Don't know if I'd put one on anything 38' and shorter though.
Attached Thumbnails Bow Thruster/Performance boat ??-imgp0474_640x480.jpg   Bow Thruster/Performance boat ??-imgp0585_640x480.jpg  
Old 02-08-2008, 06:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cosmic12
The Cult strikes again You guys are sooo mean
You have been known to lend a hand on occasion

Originally Posted by THLWL
I have the fourth one installed in a 46 Black Thunder. Will not own another boat without one because I live in windy conditions. They actually have the mfg. fly in to the BT factory and install it. It does require a very large electrical line with isolator (so you don't fry your engine electronics). I've had friends run next to me and say in larger waves that water shoots through the bow thruster tube. Maiden voyage was with 11 other BT's to Key West. They all laughed at me until we docked at Key West. Then they started asking the owner of BT about installing one in their boats. They are expensive. Needed for long and tall boats. Don't know if I'd put one on anything 38' and shorter though.
The install looks great. Do you have a pic. of the control stick on the dash ?
I took a test ride in 06 on the 48 EC Fountain that Excursion was referring to at Bluewater and that thruster was worth the cost.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK
You have been known to lend a hand on occasion

The install looks great. Do you have a pic. of the control stick on the dash ?
I took a test ride in 06 on the 48 EC Fountain that Excursion was referring to at Bluewater and that thruster was worth the cost.
This pic is not mine but similar. Mine also has a large toggle switch next to it to turn the main solenoid on. It's not a stick but just left and right buttons (bottom left in pic). They also make numerous sizes with different size motors.
Attached Thumbnails Bow Thruster/Performance boat ??-imgp0472_640x480.jpg  
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by THLWL
This pic is not mine but similar. Mine also has a large toggle switch next to it to turn the main solenoid on. It's not a stick but just left and right buttons (bottom left in pic). They also make numerous sizes with different size motors.
That looks like the one that was on the Fountain. Very simple to use which is good when things get chaotic around the dock sometimes.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:03 AM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

once you use them you will not want to dock with out it. I think anything that is an aid is a good thing, if it is something you want, makes things easier then go for it