Like Tree0Likes

Old Gas Pains

Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2002 Donzi 39 ZSC 500 EFI's

Thanks for the advice Lofty, If I took the race fuel boost approach ,is there a formula or ratio I should follow ????
Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

Figure a loss of up to .5 octane per month. 20 months=10 octane points of loss which would bring it down to around 77 octane. Its not an exact science for octane loss.

With that much octane loss you would still need drain off enough to add 55 gallons of 114 octane at $8-10 a gallon.

IMO, you would be better off to start draining it all and using it in your cars in a 50/50 blend with fresh gas.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 AM
(aka) Pure Adrenaline
Platinum Member

My Boats: 90 MPH Top Gun, Full Stagger, 580cid Donovans

[QUOTE=Lofty;2440478] The Torco product is not a reliable octane boost, the only true octane booster is race gas.

Before you make that statement you should check out there entire site
http://torcoracefuels.com/component/...d,32/vmcchk,1/ Thats what they do is make race fuels and octane accelerators.

If you were to go with any additive the ratios are all different. Thats why I suggested you give them a call and they will tell tell you what you need.

Good luck and be safe. Doug
Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently

I made a pot of chili yesterday and have had gas pains for the last 12 hours!!!!!

If my boat sits for more than a month, I add 10-20 gallons of 110 and fill it up the rest of the way with fresh gas. Good luck with the new boat!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:03 AM
RHC
Registered

The safest way to remove it is with a W. Virgina transfer pump !!! No chance for electric shock !!

RHC
Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Registered

My Boats: Sunseeker Superhawk 50', Regal 42', Fountain 32', Dan Arena 21XL Custom, Revolution SST-45,

[QUOTE=Doug;2440559]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
The Torco product is not a reliable octane boost, the only true octane booster is race gas.

Before you make that statement you should check out there entire site
http://torcoracefuels.com/component/...d,32/vmcchk,1/ Thats what they do is make race fuels and octane accelerators.
Don't take it personally but I wouldn't trust any octane booster or accelerators or whatever they want to call it. You cannot move octane points up with a can of joy juice. I've read quite a bit on Torcos' accelerator and still feel the same way. The additives are not concentrated enough to make any significant changes to the fuel.

I don't trust anything that the engine builder hasn't performed R&D on. You can dilute hi-octane race fuel with low grade pump gas but don't fool yourself into thinking your increasing the octane of the cheap pump fuel.

Fuel goes off very fast, it distills itself and will eventually degrade into turpentine. Race fuel tends to be more stable over time but if left in a fuel tank or anything that can vent it will loose its light ends.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2002 Donzi 39 ZSC 500 EFI's

Thanks for all the advice guys,as usual my questions are answered quickly and thoroughly, looks like a spring drain down is in order,anybody need a few gallons of old gas ,LOL , CHEAP!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefront View Post
why take a chance ? Is the boat accessable ? Mine set for a year and rather than take a chance I got a electric pump from summit and as stated used it in all the family vehicles .. Run a tube thru the drain plug hole up to one of the fuel tank outlets ... use what you can and then fill with fresh fuel in the spring ........m

Would you be concerned about an electrical spark from the electric pump from Summit?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Lunatic Fringe
Platinum Member

My Boats: 84 Chris Cat 700hp asd8

the electric pumps that i wrote about are mallory marine USCG rated pumps, I do use a filter before the pump, and i run a harness from the pump outside the boat and away from the fueling operation to a battery to turn them on and off. Call me chicken but i do not like fire
Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Registered

My Boats: Sunseeker Superhawk 50', Regal 42', Fountain 32', Dan Arena 21XL Custom, Revolution SST-45,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffery s bennett View Post
the electric pumps that i wrote about are mallory marine USCG rated pumps, I do use a filter before the pump, and i run a harness from the pump outside the boat and away from the fueling operation to a battery to turn them on and off. Call me chicken but i do not like fire
Sounds smart to me. Too many people a wreckless when it comes to fuel safety.