Like Tree0Likes

SCAM or NO SCAM ?

Reply
Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island, New York
My Boats: 39 Velocity Custom
Posts: 673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPM View Post
Yeah...my gut says SCAM ........ I am going to have him send certified funds via check if he is that interested in the boat.
Don't hold your breath...
imax is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
  #12
Registered
 
Clay Washington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet
Posts: 6,986
Default

i am alots ok with the price

Total scam! There should be a special place in Hell for these people!
Clay Washington is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:45 AM
  #13
Registered
 
BlakeandBrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sarasota, FL
My Boats: 2000 30' Spectre
Posts: 426
Default

Scammage!
BlakeandBrock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:49 AM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IAD/FLL
My Boats: '77 Hornet II
Posts: 2,090
Default

Think about the information that's needed to set up automatic bill payment from your checking account: account number and routing number off the check. With that information someone can issue an ACH debit to your account.

If you have a legit international buyer wanting to wire funds, request they provide contact info for their bank and have your bank provide the necessary info directly.
handfulz28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
  #15
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member
 
Wobble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2950'49.74"N 95 5'17.55"W.......TEXAS
My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet
Posts: 6,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSPM View Post
Yeah...my gut says SCAM ........ I would never pass that bank info on ...I am going to have him send certified funds via check if he is that interested in the boat.
Have your bank open a new account and send him that info. If he sends the funds, great, just transfer to your other account asap and maintain this one for similar situations. Also ask your bank what they think. However this is what I have done for new and unproven overseas customers.

The info he asks is standard for an overseas wire. It is all the same info on your check except for the swift number which can be looked up online

The only way a wire can be reversed is if the sender can prove fraud to the sending bank

Last edited by Wobble; 02-22-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Wobble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
  #16
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Pomona,ca
My Boats: 38' Scarab P-38
Posts: 482
Default

Just send him a bunch of bogus info. Then when he replies cuss him out. I find that just a little therapeutic. I have had those type of broken English responses to sales before too. Here is the one i received by e-mail the other day.----
HELLO,

MY NAME IS MIKE ADI FROM SIERRA LEONE,BUT PRESENLTY IN ABIDJAN COTE D'IVOIRE.I LOST MY FATHER YEARS BACK AND I NEED YOUR HELP IN A TRANSFER OF SOME MONEY THAT MY LATE FATHER LEFT BEFORE HE DIED.

THE MONEY $25.MILLION WAS DEPOSITED WITH A BANK HERE IN ABIDJAN.MY LATE FATHER WAS ONE OF THE DIRECTORS UNDER TEJAN KABBAH'S GOVERNMENT, YOU ARE TO HELP ME STAND AS MY LATE FATHER'S PARTNER BEFORE THE BANK TO RECEIVE THE MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT. I AM ONLY 22YRS OLD AND WITHOUT PARENTS AND DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT TRANSFER OF FUNDS .

IF YOU ARE INTRESTED REPLY ME SO THAT I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFORMATION FOR THE BANK TO TRANSFER THE MONEY TO YOUR ACCOUNT THEREAFTER YOU WILL HELP ME TO SECURE PAPERS TO JOIN YOU IN YOUR COUNTRY FOR ME TO CONTINUE MY EDUCATION THERE.

I HAVE AGREED TO GIVE YOU 15% OF THE TOTAL AMOUNT FOR YOUR HELP.

I NEED THIS DETAILS BELLOW. [email protected]

Your Full names:
Your Residential Address:
Your phone/Fax numbers:
Your Age:
Your Occupation:

MIKE ADI


Mike
Michael Garibay is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:00 PM
  #17
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member
 
Wobble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2950'49.74"N 95 5'17.55"W.......TEXAS
My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet
Posts: 6,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Garibay View Post
Just send him a bunch of bogus info. Then when he replies cuss him out. I find that just a little therapeutic. I have had those type of broken English responses to sales before too. Here is the one i received by e-mail the other day.----
HELLO,

MY NAME IS MIKE ADI FROM SIERRA LEONE,BUT PRESENLTY IN ABIDJAN COTE D'IVOIRE.I LOST MY FATHER YEARS BACK AND I NEED YOUR HELP IN A TRANSFER OF SOME MONEY THAT MY LATE FATHER LEFT BEFORE HE DIED.

THE MONEY $25.MILLION WAS DEPOSITED WITH A BANK HERE IN ABIDJAN.MY LATE FATHER WAS ONE OF THE DIRECTORS UNDER TEJAN KABBAH'S GOVERNMENT, YOU ARE TO HELP ME STAND AS MY LATE FATHER'S PARTNER BEFORE THE BANK TO RECEIVE THE MONEY IN YOUR ACCOUNT. I AM ONLY 22YRS OLD AND WITHOUT PARENTS AND DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT TRANSFER OF FUNDS .

IF YOU ARE INTRESTED REPLY ME SO THAT I WILL GIVE YOU ALL THE INFORMATION FOR THE BANK TO TRANSFER THE MONEY TO YOUR ACCOUNT THEREAFTER YOU WILL HELP ME TO SECURE PAPERS TO JOIN YOU IN YOUR COUNTRY FOR ME TO CONTINUE MY EDUCATION THERE.

I HAVE AGREED TO GIVE YOU 15% OF THE TOTAL AMOUNT FOR YOUR HELP.

I NEED THIS DETAILS BELLOW. [email protected]

Your Full names:
Your Residential Address:
Your phone/Fax numbers:
Your Age:
Your Occupation:

MIKE ADI


Mike
replying in anyway to this type of message guarantees your place on spam and sucker lists IMO
Wobble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM
  #18
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member
 
Wobble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: 2950'49.74"N 95 5'17.55"W.......TEXAS
My Boats: SeaDoo RXP & RXP-X, Stryker Equalizer 28, Eliminator Daytona Jet
Posts: 6,706
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by handfulz28 View Post
Think about the information that's needed to set up automatic bill payment from your checking account: account number and routing number off the check. With that information someone can issue an ACH debit to your account.

If you have a legit international buyer wanting to wire funds, request they provide contact info for their bank and have your bank provide the necessary info directly.
Don't ach debits still require a voided or scanned check?
Wobble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:08 PM
  #19
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stockholm, Svea Rike
My Boats: 32 Activator #6 w/ JCPerf930hp 35 Fountain HP500's (Sold) 28 Arrow 2004 572SC-EFI/875hp (Sold) 24 Pantera 1995 454/365hp (Sold)
Posts: 1,274
Default

Guys,

That sh***t way to send a certified check belongs to the 1800's. I did that once with the boardmember "Baja36", he sold me some MPI kits. I had to hand write a order to my bank. My bank sended it to bank office in Denmark and they sended it to me (I live in Sweden) and then I sended it to "Baja36" in MD, US. I beleive it toke about 3 weeks.

I think it's more than 10 years ago we stop using checks.
I dont even have any check book.

With all respect for the personal integrity, but it's way more simple to do the money transfer by internet.

TSPM, have you talked to the guy?

If you have any kind of probs with guys from Sweden, just send me a PM!!

Mange
On broken english :-)
Mange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:17 PM
  #20
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IAD/FLL
My Boats: '77 Hornet II
Posts: 2,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobble View Post
Don't ach debits still require a voided or scanned check?
All that's needed is the info, and access to a system. Have you signed up for Paypal, or utility bill, or any other online payment system? You didn't provide them with a voided or scanned check? Nope, just two critical pieces of info and one semi-critical and now they can issue ACH debits (and credits). Give me your acct # and ABA # off your check and I can have a printed check ready for deposit. And that's a legitimate service offering we've set my brother up with in his business.
handfulz28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DirtyMoney
General Boating Discussion
7
04-30-2007 12:57 PM
hurleyr
Cigarette
5
04-25-2007 04:17 PM
FINMAN
General Boating Discussion
5
03-13-2007 11:31 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.