Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speed boating and fuel prices (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/180519-speed-boating-fuel-prices.html)

Fortius 02-22-2008 04:04 PM

Speed boating and fuel prices

I have been reading these pages and been wondering,that you guys are not specially concerned about fuel prices and fuel consumption.Speed boating is an expensive hobby and is coming more.The topics here are everything else.Of course everything can't be measured in money especially ones hobby, but anyway.What is boat industry doing?You can't see any answers at boat shows.They put 3-4 a' 300 hp outboards to the transom.The industry is waiting,that the legislation is determining their direction.When the oil price continues its way up,speed boating comes impossible with present kind of energy wasting engines.Are speed boats dinosaurus of this age,have they come to the end of their way?Hummer is like Prius in comparision with a boat consuming 90 gph. Fuel prices are of course a piece of all costs,but a growing one and which is reminding every time you fill you tanks.

I only try to make sense to myself why to change my 24" speed boat to bigger one unless it is at least with diesel engines.

offshoresteve 02-22-2008 05:20 PM

Sounds like you need a Sailboat:evilb:

seafordguy 02-22-2008 05:25 PM

Because most people will tell you - Fuel is the cheapest aspect of their boating.

Gilman 02-22-2008 05:27 PM

You make people ante up if its to expensive, but I'm going with or witout them.

excursion 02-22-2008 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 2456268)
Because most people will tell you - Fuel is the cheapest aspect of their boating.

I have told my wife many times I would pay $10 dollars a gallon if that is all the expense I would have all summer, no more expensive repairs..................drives, motors, misc..........

GAS IS STILL THE CHEAPEST PART

blue thunder 02-22-2008 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fortius (Post 2456158)
I have been reading these pages and been wondering,that you guys are not specially concerned about fuel prices and fuel consumption.Speed boating is an expensive hobby and is coming more.The topics here are everything else.Of course everything can't be measured in money especially ones hobby, but anyway.What is boat industry doing?You can't see any answers at boat shows.They put 3-4 a' 300 hp outboards to the transom.The industry is waiting,that the legislation is determining their direction.When the oil price continues its way up,speed boating comes impossible with present kind of energy wasting engines.Are speed boats dinosaurus of this age,have they come to the end of their way?Hummer is like Prius in comparision with a boat consuming 90 gph. Fuel prices are of course a piece of all costs,but a growing one and which is reminding every time you fill you tanks.

I only try to make sense to myself why to change my 24" speed boat to bigger one unless it is at least with diesel engines.

90gph I suspect would be a problem for most. But in reality the 30-40 gph for most hp boat is manageable 20 time a year. How much is that at 1.5hr/ weekend.... $4,200 at $3.50/gallon. Not going to slow a lot of us down too much. If it was 90gph that may be different. Anyway, I would keep you 24" speed boat because it probably uses nitro not gas.

BT :cool-smiley-011:

creeper 02-22-2008 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by blue thunder (Post 2456306)
90gph I suspect would be a problem for most. But in reality the 30-40 gph for most hp boat is manageable 20 time a year. How much is that at 1.5hr/ weekend.... $4,200 at $3.50/gallon. Not going to slow a lot of us down too much. If it was 90gph that may be different. Anyway, I would keep you 24" speed boat because it probably uses nitro not gas.

BT :cool-smiley-011:

nitro not gas.....:evilb:...:grinser010:.....:D

Propster 02-22-2008 06:19 PM

Fuel is expensive, but it is still the cheapest part of running a high performance boat. I had to rebuild both drives twice last year. I would have rather been burning fuel than waiting for parts and paying to rebuild drives.

They pay $9 - $10 for fuel in Europe now. We are actually getting off cheap.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-22-2008 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Propster (Post 2456335)
Fuel is expensive, but it is still the cheapest part of running a high performance boat. I had to rebuild both drives twice last year. I would have rather been burning fuel than waiting for parts and paying to rebuild drives.

They pay $9 - $10 for fuel in Europe now. We are actually getting off cheap.

Absolutely prop its part of life , we dont like to pay 5.00 a box for cereal but kidz gotta have it ... Pizza ,pitchers of pop for the kidz & a few beers 100.00 REALITY :D

heavyhauler 02-22-2008 06:54 PM

Have you bought any bottled water lately? Price of gas pales in comparison.

Wahoo ATV 02-22-2008 06:56 PM

I'll pay anything to speed up this global warming! It's damn cold in Michigan. :evilb:

Spine Tingler 02-22-2008 06:57 PM

Wher's BLee when you need him?

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-22-2008 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spine Tingler (Post 2456373)
Wher's BLee when you need him?

Tingler hes probably on a bar stools have a half dozen cold ones :D they tried to beat him down today but he came out swingin with both hands :cool-smiley-011:
E-DOCK RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Spine Tingler 02-22-2008 07:05 PM

He's not out yet but will be shortly. I missed something I guess.

ENFORCER24 02-22-2008 07:23 PM

in my opinion , its cheaper then therepy
if i spend a couple hundred a weekend in fuel (thats a long weekend for me ) its still cheaper then the therepy i'm gonna need if i dont fuel it up and wach it sitting in my driveway all weekend , i'm almost insane now waiting for the outside temp to hit 65 degrees 2 days in a row so i can splash in the water again and relieve some stress ..
i'm sure i'm not the only one that lives for the weekend , and weekly troubles get washed away as you throttle up and watch the guages , swerve to scare some seagulls and get air of a nice rolling wave , its makin me misty just thinkin about it

34Mach1 02-22-2008 07:26 PM

Performance boating is my ONLY passion. I will do whatever it takes and pay whatever it cost to continue this. Like my father once said, "if you have to ask how much insurance or gas cost for the vehicle you want, you probably can't afford it." Those of us with $100K or greater boats may not be happy about gas prices and we may gripe a bit, but high gas prices will definitely not stop us. My contribution to the energy crisis is to limit my supercharger boost to 5 pounds and keep 100MPH runs to a minimum.

CLIMAX 02-22-2008 07:39 PM

Cost of the boat totaly aside, my slip rent way far exceeds my fuel consumption

t500hps 02-22-2008 08:48 PM

What do you drop every weekend one a round of golf.....besides, A topless girl on a Prius just isn't the same!!!!

poolsinc1 02-22-2008 09:06 PM

We just put the boat on automatic fuel delivery just like we do for the house.

excursion 02-22-2008 09:15 PM

I also work harder during the week to play even harder on the weekend!!!!!

fountain4play 02-22-2008 09:19 PM

Heck I'll be paying more for new props this year than I'll spend on fuel...It's just part of the game...no problem....Then again if I had the money I'd be riding around in a Lear Jet burning a years worth of fuel in an hour and telling everyone to decrease their Carbon Footprint....:cool-smiley-027:

LOL...just noticed it..."Fortius" you might want to get a boat that's a little longer than two feet (24")...you can't be burning that much gas, what a pint a weekend....lol

p729lws 02-22-2008 09:19 PM

How about posting in English for the love of God.:hitfan:

jswfl09 02-22-2008 09:28 PM

We spend about 300 or so a weekend (anywhere from 250-350).... probably get out about 40 weekends a year (I kid you not!). About $12,000 a year - just look at it as a long vacation!

smokin' joe 02-22-2008 09:31 PM

Move to Ohio and you could cut that fuel bill in half...

offshoresteve 02-22-2008 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by jim09091 (Post 2456548)
We spend about 300 or so a weekend (anywhere from 250-350).... probably get out about 40 weekends a year (I kid you not!). About $12,000 a year - just look at it as a long vacation!

Damn I need to move to Fl. At least you have 12 weekends to work on your boat:D

FeverMike 02-22-2008 10:02 PM

Boating is not my only hobby but the fuel prices have affected the amount of time I go boating. I usually do around 120-150hrs a year. In 2007 I did a total of 38hrs.

t500hps 02-22-2008 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by p729lws (Post 2456536)
How about posting in English for the love of God.:hitfan:

While he's a likely foreigner, his english is better than my........(spanish/french/german/etc). Make fun of his questions if you want, someone TRYING to learn english should be off-limits IMO.

yesrej 02-22-2008 10:45 PM

the guy asked a question. all he wants is an answer. so give it to him. i dont care if you have a million dollar boat or a 24" boat. you all have *****ed at the pump. dont give me if you have to ask you cant afford it chit. you all ask. this is for fun!!! you pay what you can. there are many different financial groups here and it affects you all. its the love that gets you all here and keeps you here.
my answer is , yes i slowed down and dont go as far but im still down there every weekend. as said before i work hard all week for the weekend cause thats what is worth it to me.

jswfl09 02-22-2008 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by yesrej (Post 2456627)
the guy asked a question. all he wants is an answer. so give it to him. i dont care if you have a million dollar boat or a 24" boat. you all have *****ed at the pump. dont give me if you have to ask you cant afford it chit. you all ask. this is for fun!!! you pay what you can. there are many different financial groups here and it affects you all. its the love that gets you all here and keeps you here.
my answer is , yes i slowed down and dont go as far but im still down there every weekend. as said before i work hard all week for the weekend cause thats what is worth it to me.

Yep, there was some *****ing... but since the highest we paid was a bit over 4 and now are paying 3.80ish we justify it and call it "cheap" <sarcastically> and all is good - its our #1 hobby and escape from the work-week. Keeps us sane but we haven't slowed down or changed the habits... yet. We'll all see what the future holds - this was the first year I personally made friends cough up some cash here and there.

Revd Up 02-22-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by offshoresteve (Post 2456261)

That's funny!

jswfl09 02-22-2008 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Revd Up (Post 2456633)
That's funny!

Sometimes it doesn't sound so bad. There are a lot of people around here who live on theirs (some are on the luxurious side and others are a bit more rustic). Definitely different then the daily grind.

sunchaser796 02-22-2008 10:59 PM

if ya gonna complain about the cost of fuel, then let your boat sit for 3 or 4 months and then sea what its gonna cost ya. and I can tell ya when all said and done it would be enough to fill the tank. And yes I would keep my 24" speed boat cause it don't cost very much to run on nitro fuel @ 15 bucks a gallon. BTW OFFSHORESTEVE didn't know they had enough water in Lanier to run boats in with out hitting tree stumps unless you stay in the middle of the lake ....:cool-smiley-026: :D

pm203 02-22-2008 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2456508)
besides, A topless girl on a Prius just isn't the same!!!!

Now, that's funny! :D

yesrej 02-22-2008 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by sunchaser796 (Post 2456637)
if ya gonna complain about the cost of fuel, then let your boat sit for 3 or 4 months and then sea what its gonna cost ya. and I can tell ya when all said and done it would be enough to fill the tank. And yes I would keep my 24" speed boat cause it don't cost very much to run on nitro fuel @ 15 bucks a gallon. BTW OFFSHORESTEVE didn't know they had enough water in Lanier to run boats in with out hitting tree stumps unless you stay in the middle of the lake ....:cool-smiley-026: :D

i dont know where your going with this. it doesnt cost me anything except the payment when it sits for the winter. when its in the water the payment doesnt go away. maybe im missing something

nova26 02-22-2008 11:20 PM

And a granola bar.:evilb:

Nauti By Nature 02-23-2008 12:36 AM

I thought about the gas prices for about 5 minutes before I decided to bring my motors for upgrade for 900 HP ,
The love of speed , Water , The boat going faster makes the choice easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also Ten minutes off the hydrohoist my vacation begins
leaving everything behind everytime !

When I don't want to spend hundreds on gas and thousands on repairs I go fishing on single 225 HP outboard Parker .

h2owarrior 02-23-2008 12:46 AM

Some of you should Chill

This post is from someone outside the US trying to start some crap......... and a few of you are bitting. Read the post. Broken English at best and it's all about "how can you spend that much money on fun?".

The real answer is BECAUSE WE CAN:cool-smiley-011:

That smiley is smoking a cigar by the way:D

Fortius 02-23-2008 01:39 AM

Sorry for my bad english,but anyway I appreciate,that I have received many valuable answers and opinions to questions,that have been bothering me.

spectras only 02-23-2008 02:07 AM

Or a hybrid , like this Schoell design , hehe .

http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/65foot.infinity.jpg

articfriends 02-23-2008 02:25 AM

I spend roughly 20,000 t0 25,000 a year on running my boat,only 2500 to 3000 of that is fuel even at 3.20$ a gallon. Now if I lived in a real warm climate and boated every weekend it would be a different story,Smitty