Notices

Safety Straps

Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue. It is certainly not bouncing at all but you never know if you had to swerve off the road or something. The front of the boat is secure and not going fwd or back, but I like the back to firm on the trailer.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 02-26-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nordic95
.....Now my question is- Am I strapping down a 7500 lb boat to an aluminum trailer or am i strapping a 1500 lb trailer to my boat????

Nordic95
Good point. I never thought of it like that, but I would stick to the heavier straps to take the 7500 pound load.

The easiest fix to the problem is to just drill a 2" hole in the middle of the K plane for the strap to go through. I'm just kidding, please DO NOT do that.

Seriously though, I think you will be OK to run the strap around the tab. I don't think it will hurt anything. I did it for a few years on my 28 Pantera and just padded the strap where it contacted the tab to prevent it from rubbing. I found that the fuzzy seat belt wraps work well for this job. You know, the ones you see in all of the automotive stores that are supposed to pad your neck to keep the seat belts from rubbing.

Look at the tension on this strap/tab after we got whacked while making a right hand turn. This strap was under extreme tension after the accident and it didn't do any damage to the tab. After experiencing this, I personally don't think you will have any problems with the strap going around the tab for normal trailering conditions.
Attached Thumbnails Safety Straps-100.jpg   Safety Straps-101.jpg   Safety Straps-102.jpg  

Old 02-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
Good point. I never thought of it like that, but I would stick to the heavier straps to take the 7500 pound load.

The easiest fix to the problem is to just drill a 2" hole in the middle of the K plane for the strap to go through. I'm just kidding, please DO NOT do that.

Seriously though, I think you will be OK to run the strap around the tab. I don't think it will hurt anything. I did it for a few years on my 28 Pantera and just padded the strap where it contacted the tab to prevent it from rubbing. I found that the fuzzy seat belt wraps work well for this job. You know, the ones you see in all of the automotive stores that are supposed to pad your neck to keep the seat belts from rubbing.

Look at the tension on this strap/tab after we got whacked while making a right hand turn. This strap was under extreme tension after the accident and it didn't do any damage to the tab. After experiencing this, I personally don't think you will have any problems with the strap going around the tab for normal trailering conditions.
WOW that really sucksssss..What hit you??What gave on the drive that alowed it to twist like that?That is my worst fear is some one running into the rear of the boat while Im towing around town.

Nordic95
Old 02-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Registered

Thanks hot duck: that is some extreme pressure, and that is far from the pivot point stressing the hinge even more. I guess those K planes are stronger than I thought.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On both my boats, the d-rings on the transom are directly above the tabs. I use a 2" flat strap with a hook end thru the d-ring, then fish the strap thru the hinge area of the tab and down to the ring welded on the trailer, the ratchet end goes there. It's a straight pull downward and since the tab hinge area is radiused, there's no sharp edge to wear on.

As far as what straps to what, the assumption is correct, you are retaining the lesser of the two weights. At the same time, when SHTF, you can't have enough strap. If the boat bounces off the trailer while you're in the middle of a picture-perfect recovery from slipping off a berm, your afternoon is shot.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ck out this thread

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...&highlight=tie

Attached Thumbnails Safety Straps-gf-d1058.gif  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 02-27-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I cant remember where we got these, but I believe they are rated for 3500# each. We tow several times a year between Punta Gorda, FL and Indianapolis, IN (1100 miles) and have never had a problem.... We check them tight at each fuel stop
Attached Thumbnails Safety Straps-2425555220069869332wvodha_fs.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I use a 3'' strap from one side of my trialer over the rear hatch to the other. It'r a ratcheting strap and gets it nice and snug.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Safety Straps-dscn0242-small-.jpg   Safety Straps-dscn0243-small-.jpg  
Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zx14
nope, those are not good enough, I pulled the boat back to Calif. from florida, I had straps heavy'er than those on there, one tore in half and it straitened out the hook.
What were you doing...Four Wheelin'?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you are looking for custom straps, check with warparty36 here on the board. He can get you whatever size and length you need.

Quick Reply: Safety Straps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.