How is the boating in North Carolina? >

How is the boating in North Carolina?

Notices

How is the boating in North Carolina?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nykamp
We are also looking at this area as a possible place to relocate to for my wifes line of work. How many marinas are on the lake? How big of gofast boats can the rack store? Also whats the average size go fast on lake norman? Thank you, Steve
Steve - Not sure about alot your questions as I am new to the lake too. Where I rack (Westport )the biggest they can rack is 28. There are lots of marinas here but I do not know there capablities as far as length. Lots of different size go fasts. If you are coming from the Great Lakes (like me) then the water isn't even a fraction as rough as you are used to .

Mike
Old 03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Mike.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by five cent worth
Mine is sitting in the trailer lot doing nothing. Might be able to let you use it.
Thanks! I appreciate it... I really do need to just get one though.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 PM

We are also looking at this area as a possible place to relocate to for my wifes line of work. How many marinas are on the lake? How big of gofast boats can the rack store? Also whats the average size go fast on lake norman? Thank you, Steve
Steve, ya can't leave.
But if ya do you might as well leave your boat here with me, I will take good care of her The length won't be a problem down there but the speed will be. You will be like a gold fish swimming around in a little bowl
Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by five cent worth
Any web sites to show places over there or things to do?
There are probably a lot of websites about Gaston. Gaston reminded me of Lake Anna, but bigger.

Kerr is a different world. I've only been there in September and October. So I've never seen it crowded... doubt if it ever does. Formula 382 may know better.

A bunch of us went to Kerr for the weekend Mid Sept. I think we saw three boats on the lake all weekend. A couple in a ski boat, a bass boat, and somebody in an older performance boat. When you get tired of the craziness of summer can bring, Kerr can provide a welcome breath of fresh air. Huge Lake 700+ miles of shoreline. A million coves to get lost in. Numerous Bald Eagles. peaceful, gorgeous.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by socalstone
There are probably a lot of websites about Gaston. Gaston reminded me of Lake Anna, but bigger.

Kerr is a different world. I've only been there in September and October. So I've never seen it crowded... doubt if it ever does. Formula 382 may know better.

A bunch of us went to Kerr for the weekend Mid Sept. I think we saw three boats on the lake all weekend. A couple in a ski boat, a bass boat, and somebody in an older performance boat. When you get tired of the craziness of summer can bring, Kerr can provide a welcome breath of fresh air. Huge Lake 700+ miles of shoreline. A million coves to get lost in. Numerous Bald Eagles. peaceful, gorgeous.

That 700+ miles of shoreline doesn't mean much. That is about the same as Lake Michigan and Lake Michigan is almost as big as the entire state of N.C.
You can cruise in a straight line at 100mph for over 3 hours and not see another boat.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Registered

I would guess there are at least 10 marinas and probably more strung around the lake and there is one off Perth Road that I'm told can handle larger boats. I'm going to be checking for a place to keep mine this summer as well. Stutts Marina has just built a number of new large covered slips but no dry storage. (They had some legal difficulties last summer with Duke Power and didn't get to open their slip rentals, but I'm told that has been resolved and they are modifying them to suit Duke's requirements and should be in business to rent them before too much longer. I was there this weekend and they were working on the channel at Stutts. I've seen all sizes of go fasts there but probably average 33-35.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JB4Boyne
That 700+ miles of shoreline doesn't mean much. That is about the same as Lake Michigan and Lake Michigan is almost as big as the entire state of N.C.
You can cruise in a straight line at 100mph for over 3 hours and not see another boat.
Yeah, but Lake Michigan is basically just a giant bucket of water.
Kerr is 700+ of COVED shoreline. Mostly uninhabited. Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Registered

Looking to come up there for a long weekend this summer, any hotels on the water with slips?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Registered

Check here... we got a condo last summer right at Midtown browns on southern part of lake, dock that comes with condo is right at midtown browns. Good eats and drinks

Here is a link where we found the condo... there was a boat launch right around the corner as well.
http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacat...-Carolina.html

This is the one we stayed at.. nice end slip boat dock...
http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacat...als/31064.html

Check in with the Carolina Power Boat club on Norman.. Great bunch of people!!!

Last edited by East Coast B; 03-06-2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: How is the boating in North Carolina?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.