Notices

OSO Poker Run ??

Old 03-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbeecher
Entry fees can cover cost and allow for some sort of a pot to divide for the winners BUT the real prize money usually comes from having a calcutta and bidding on the boats. Divide the pot into whatever number of winners BUT the the captain of the winning boats get 25% of the payout. These type of calcutta pots can become extremely large. Of course you try and buy your own boat and whoever else's.
Well.. I'm lost on that one.
I would not have the run without entry fee, but just a reasonable one. I think most boaters would rather have a smaller entry fee than a larger winning price. It's not the price. it's the participation. My 0.02
Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't understand..the calcutta is like the ones in a fishing tournament. The person who bought(out bid) the boat with the winning hand would when that part of the calcutta. The winning boat captain gets 25% of the pot. He gets all of it if he bought his own boat in the calcutta.
e making side wagers on all the boats to have the winning hand or hands depending on how many places you want to have for winning.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered

OK got it. (I think) But for all that, I just go to Vegas for a while. It's less confusing.
I have a good old phylosophy.. KISS..
Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might look at Kentucky Lake, Dale Hollow Lake, or Smith Mountian Lake in Alabama. I like the run in any order that Emerald Coast does. I hate running in a large pack with a pace boat.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoy meeting OSO members, but IMHO the country is to large for an OSO sponsored run. What seems to work really well is the regional type stuff, that's why we should visit those forums more often. With so many well established Poker Runs, like Boyne Thunder, I guess I don't see the need to add more. And with the high cost of boating who wants to add to the cost with more fees. To me fun runs are where it's at. There have been many started here, look at the Ft Myer group, they have done a lot of cruising and almost every run costs nothing, except your own food, lodging, and fuel. That's how the Chicago group started as well, in upper MI a group puts on a fun run and we have done them on Lake St Clair. In fact on the Great Lakes forum here we are putting together an international run where us Americans are meeting up with our OSO friends from Canada for a Georgian Bay trip.

Bring on more fun runs

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 03-10-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Keep in mind the insurance for these events has gotten expensive.
Insurance costs arent that bad.. I have a person who can write a real policy for your run
Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
ask Otis about a non $ event... he's had is part... of blame... I would not organize something like that officially and don't get paid... I would, before I read Otis tread. He did his best, voluntary, and gets

So, non $ event = simple get together run
$ event = be ready to take on
AMEN. The work load is tremendous and you would be far far ahead of the game if you just wrote a $5000.00 check to a charity out of your own pocket and then sat on the couch and watched TV rather than giving your time trying to organize a sucsessful event that raises money for charity.

The when its over you have to listen to some a$$wipe rip you up and question your honesty and integrity over how much money was raised.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by otis311
AMEN. The work load is tremendous and you would be far far ahead of the game if you just wrote a $5000.00 check to a charity out of your own pocket and then sat on the couch and watched TV rather than giving your time trying to organize a sucsessful event that raises money for charity.

The when its over you have to listen to some a$$wipe rip you up and question your honesty and integrity over how much money was raised.
You got that right.
If people really knew how much time and money we spend out of our own pockets, to raise money for the kids and to see the boaters have fun, they would have a shrink by our side 24/7
Old 03-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see how you guys that put on the charity runs would feel like that. In comparison the for profit runs by the FPBC and Poker Runs of America cost about the same and sometimes even more. They have a ton of full time staff to help with the planning, you guys have to rely on volunteers. And when it is all said in done they keep the profits and you have to give it away. I am not saying that for profit runs are bad, just different. People should be a lot easier on you promoters that give of your time freely to raise money for a great cause. Good job to all of you that have been so generous of your time.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Registered

I agree Ms PatriYacht.
I am not really nterested in the $ issues. I wanted to see if the OSO guys and gals are interested in a special fun event, not driven by the $. May be some charity, may be just for the fun loving boaters sake. It realy depands on the interest and how we can actually organize everything. I now it's a lot of work, but there's got to be a Poker RUn event that is somewhat "fun run" somewhat Poker Run and everyone has a great time, without worring about the $ sign and the sponsers or Pros special interests. May be it can't be done, but I willl give it a try. So anyone can help.. !! ?/ It would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: OSO Poker Run ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.