here is the cradle I used

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...7&autoview=sku

The wheels come off of the cradle

It was fairly easy. I used a total of 3 2X4's and one sheet of 1/2 plywood
Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats the cradle my motor is on. This only a short block that I'm shipping. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

We ship engines weekly. We use a crating company to build us shipping crates that have internal wood stands that the engine mounts sit on not the pan. The crates are made about two inches larger overall than the engine and accessory outside dimensions and the base is heavy 1-1/2 material sitting on top of three 4x4's that act as forklift openings. The crates are preformed and drilled so they get assembled with long drywall screws and a battery power drill. Look in the yellow pages in your area for Crating companies. Always mark the crate fragile all over the place, show UP arrows for the dummies in the terminals and paint on "Do NOT Stack". You should pay about $150 for a quality crate like this. Another little helpful tidbit. If you Call Forward Air in Atlanta (800) number. You can drop an engine or heavy item off at one of their terminals (they have one in almost every major city and area) and they will transport it to another of their terminals in about 3-4 days anywhere in the country where your receiver can pick it up at the terminal for a freight rate thats about 1/3 to 1/4 of normal LTL common carrier door to door shipping.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by R Addiction
Smitty, you wouldn't happen to have a picture would ya?
heres a few pics BIG Daddy , use to have to send these back to havasu every other week ... piece of cake and it assures damage free shipping unless they put a fork thru the pan
Attached Thumbnails Shipping a motor...?-540-004.jpg   Shipping a motor...?-540-005.jpg   Shipping a motor...?-540-006.jpg  

Old 03-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Banned

Thats the cradle my motor is on. This only a short block that I'm shipping. Thanks for the help.
a few more
Attached Thumbnails Shipping a motor...?-540-007.jpg   Shipping a motor...?-540-010.jpg  
Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having worked in the LTL biz heed Ray's advice about marking the crates "Fragile" "High Value" "Do Not Top Load" or other instructions. Most times your LTL carrier will have Fragile or High Value stickers available for you to have if you ask, otherwise mark the hell out of it.
Typically a wood crate with a flat top surface becomes a platform for freight to ride on top of with some carriers unless your markings make it clear it's a high value fragile product NOT to be top loaded.
Some LTL carries also employ a decking system in their trailers where as some cube a trailer simply by stacking high and tight. Chances are much better of damage free freight with those carriers that use the decking boaords and beams.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys.....anything I should know about Roadway?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.....anything I should know about Roadway?
Roadway is good just label it good and insure it just in case ... got a motor back in the wooden crate from Havasy with the fork thru the valve cover from BAX GLOBAL and there suppose to be the best and i spent 800.00 one way ..good luck take a few more Vicodin and forget all about it ...
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
got a motor back in the wooden crate from Havasy with the fork thru the valve cover from BAX GLOBAL and there suppose to be the best
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Had the exact same thing happen to me with BAX. Sent a motor to Cali and they stuck a fork through 1/2" plywood, through the valve cover and broke a rocker stud and rocker. They said that it was improperly packaged. Sounds just like UPS. ROCK ON!!!!!
By the way, most shipping companies have a max they insure. The most I have seen is 35K. Don't know what you're shipping, but you may want to check on the max insurance.
Eddie
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Had the exact same thing happen to me with BAX. Sent a motor to Cali and they stuck a fork through 1/2" plywood, through the valve cover and broke a rocker stud and rocker. They said that it was improperly packaged. Sounds just like UPS. ROCK ON!!!!!
By the way, most shipping companies have a max they insure. The most I have seen is 35K. Don't know what you're shipping, but you may want to check on the max insurance.
Eddie
Yeah EDDIE i hear yeah , BAX did'nt cover this one either said it happened at LAX airport before they picked it up to take to havasu but i loaded it in a BAX truck in ILL so i didnt do the damage but it was a fight from H@LL and just ate it .. pretty much horshchit when u pay the freight buy ins they phuch it up and we eat it anyway ... got a cam delivered yesterday from UPS and its a 2 piece model its broke in half ,im sure it was'nt package right from Comp Cams ..
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Shipping a motor...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.