Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181841-don-aronow-memorial-ocean-powerboat-race.html)

bcschoe 03-10-2008 05:58 PM

Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race

While much of this effort remains a work in progress we are pushing forward..

This first event is set to take place on Friday the 20th of June, proceeding the OSS Sunny Isle Race.

Non-Stop from Haulover Inlet to Bimini and back, the course will be set up for a 100 mile roundtrip run. The raceboat classes are listed below. This is open to all boat which meet the minimum safety requirements. With the addition of safety equipment most recreational performance boats will be able to enter this race.

This event will be linked to a charity and donations made in the name of Don Aronow.

A separate fund is being established to raise money to commission a statue of Don Aronow to be placed looking over haulover inlet. While much work remains we are looking forward to a spectacular first event and making plans for follow on events as well

Special thanks go out to the hard work and support of Charlie McCarthy, Larry Goldman, and Ron Polli for kick starting this effort and commiting to see it through.

Registration forms and the HORBA Open Ocean Racing LLC rule book will be available soon.

Please e-mail your intent to participate to [email protected] Race packages and entry requirements will be released soon.

Boats shall be a minimum length 20’, maximum length 55’

Race boat Classes

DESIGINATION

Historic Class Open Max combined c.i. of more than 1000.
Historic Class Production Modified and sport Max. c.i. not to exceed 910 cu in.

Modern Class Single Engine Max 550 Cubic Inches
Modern Class Twin Engine Max combined c.i.
not to exceed 1200.
Modern Class Unlimited “Run what you brung!”.

Historic is 25 years old year to date of the race event calendar year.

Modern is everything newer

Modern GPS/Satellite Navigation systems and modern electronics with the exception of communications equipment is prohibited from being allowed on Historic.
Historic boats must be campaigned in the true spirit of the original configuration of the time.

Let us hear what you think!

Thanks

nocigarette 03-10-2008 06:01 PM

Why is their not a classic single engine class......I see ya have it for newer boats but not the old ones...

I dont have enough time to build a 910 cui single...

glassdave 03-10-2008 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by bcschoe (Post 2479222)
. . . Modern GPS/Satellite Navigation systems and modern electronics with the exception of communications equipment is prohibited from being allowed on Historic.
Historic boats must be campaigned in the true spirit of the original configuration of the time. . . .

Let us hear what you think!

Thanks

I like this idea a lot, very cool. Good luck with the event, I may hafta try to get in on this. It falls outside my regular race schedule.

nocigarette 03-10-2008 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2479256)
I like this idea a lot, very cool. Good luck with the event, I may hafta try to get in on this. It falls outside my regular race schedule.

That is my favorite part.......Old school race old school technology with navigation.....

glassdave 03-10-2008 06:23 PM

In a 41 Apache no less . . .now that would be the ultimate :D

bluellama 03-10-2008 06:38 PM

Boats shall be a minimum length 20’, maximum length 55’
So if Brownie ties 2 16's bow to stern to meet the minimum length requirement, and re-creates his delivery run, will he be running in the single or twin Historical division??

Criterion SS and a compass :D
MadDog, you need a navigator? :D

This sounds like an event not to be missed.

DPT MOTORSPORTS 03-10-2008 06:59 PM

Awesome!!!!

ciaoderhead 03-10-2008 07:03 PM

:cool-smiley-011:

Sean H 03-10-2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2479273)
In a 41 Apache no less :D

Don't ya have a 20 cig in the shop? :D:evilb:

glassdave 03-10-2008 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sean H (Post 2479372)

Good point, that would be a great test run. Maybe i should put a full canopy on it :cool-smiley-011:

Sean H 03-10-2008 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2479378)
Good point, that would be a great test run. Maybe i should put a full canopy on it :cool-smiley-011:

i got some old ww II helmets around here somewhere... that should be good enough... :D

AIR TIME 03-10-2008 08:33 PM

Congrats!! I hope you have a great turn out so this will be year to year race and maybe by next year I will be put back together and my boat to :D If you have a good turn out would you add lid and non lid boats cause a svl will kill a p5,6 boat or f1. Thanks good luck and how is the 28ss coming out. art ps I saw MIKE SNOW on sunday he looks in good shape. He loved his banana boats. art

offshoresteve 03-10-2008 08:34 PM

No outboard class???

XtremePowerboats.com 03-10-2008 08:42 PM

Yes,there will be outboard classes if needed !!Bring'em on,we would love to see the o/b vee,s and cats show up !

bcschoe 03-10-2008 08:45 PM

I need to clear some things up. Outboards can run, Canopy boats can run, open boats can run, turbine boats can run, single boats can run.

The classes have few limitations.

For example a Stock Outboard would run in the Modern twin engine not to exceed.

A SVL would run in Modern Single engine.

We want to keep this very simple, fun, enjoyable, safe, and memorable.

racesdad 03-10-2008 08:49 PM

peppers will be making the run. cant wait
mike stancombe

omerta one 03-10-2008 09:02 PM

Now you're talkin'....

Top Banana 03-11-2008 07:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
HORBA has the exclusive rights to use the name of Don Aronow for this race. But, we are very pleased to be able to share the weekend with the OSS people and the great town of Sunny Isles Beach.

Our intent from the beginning of our existence, was to educate the public about the great and colorful history of this sport.

In keeping with that objective, the Aronow family has allowed HORBA to use the Don Aronow name, for this type of open ocean powerboat race, as this is the type of racing that Don did and they can relate to.

We are looking for sponsors for many areas of this race weekend. Any potential sponsors please contact me through an e-mail to the site, www.historicraceboats.com, or with a PM here.

Friday night we hope to have a gathering at the awards ceremony of a lot of the old racers that are still with us to hear some of the old war stories. Brownie, Mel Riggs, Bobby Saccenti, Odell Lewis, Richie Powers, Steve Sirois, Bobby Moore, Preston Henn, Rocky Aoki, Bill Elswick, Bill Wishnick, George Pironi, etc. etc. and hopefully John Crouse will be able to make it too.

We are looking for a sponsor(s) to put on a dinner for the old racers. We are looking for film crews that would be interested in covering the race and the old racer discussion and awards ceremony.

Proceeds will go to a charity. The Aronow family is reviewing a few of them now and will let us know their choice.

I can't say enough how much tenacity Brad Schoenwald has shown in seeing this thing through. We all owe him a great deal of thanks.

We want this to be an experience for all those who never ran this type of race before. We want it to be fun for all involved.
That is why we are trying to keep it as simple as possible and as open as possible so that anyone with an interest may experience it.

We look forward to the support of the many that have told us over the years...."If you ever run a race like that, count on me being there!" We hope they will enjoy airing out their hulls like we used to do, in the first photo.

The boat in the second photo was a 17 foot Formula that was "stretched" by a beak, to make the minimum 20 foot length requirement. The co-driver sat outside the boat on a bracket. The driver sat with his legs on either side of the engine under glass. This boat came in second in the Long Beach to San Francisco race. Oh yeah, Brownie rode in the co-driver seat one time, he can tell you what it was really like to be an outboard on a bracket.

Charlie McCarthy

nocigarette 03-11-2008 07:14 AM

I get goosebumps just thinking about it.......

SHARKEY-IMAGES 03-11-2008 07:28 AM

Brownie,

I wish the best of luck and a safe race.

It would be cool to see this become an annual event. :drink:

offshoredrillin 03-11-2008 07:36 AM

We could take the 20 or the 42 I'm in, I'm going to put it on my schedule today :D

JO - PANTERABOATS 03-11-2008 07:38 AM

Hi Charlie,
Can I get an invitation to the dinner? I ran the Miami Bimini race more than once, will that qualify for an invitation?
Thanks,
Pepe @ Pantera.
PS, YES, count us to race "THE RACE"!

rchevelle71 03-11-2008 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by bcschoe (Post 2479507)
I need to clear some things up. Outboards can run, Canopy boats can run, open boats can run, turbine boats can run, single boats can run.

The classes have few limitations.

For example a Stock Outboard would run in the Modern twin engine not to exceed.

A SVL would run in Modern Single engine.

We want to keep this very simple, fun, enjoyable, safe, and memorable.

So where would a 26 year old 24 foot open boat that has been restored, and has modern electronics, and a single outboard Run????:party-smiley-004:

JO - PANTERABOATS 03-11-2008 07:48 AM

Rick,
Very likely towards the back of the field, how about two O/B?
Then it would be a different story!
Later,
Pp.

PS, Been there and done that!

bojoe2 03-11-2008 07:50 AM

sounds great :D

rchevelle71 03-11-2008 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS (Post 2479876)
Rick,
Very likely towards the back of the field, how about two O/B?
Then it would be a different story!
Later,
Pp.

PS, Been there and done that!

:D:D:D

Pepe,

Gonna redo the transom next year, then try to run a bracket, and twin 225's We'll see who is at the back then:evilb:

I was kinda being sarcastic when I asked, but it would be fun to do in a group, just wish i could keep up with the pack.

Rick

Top Banana 03-11-2008 08:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 2479832)
HORBA has the exclusive rights to use the name of Don Aronow for this race. But, we are very pleased to be able to share the weekend with the OSS people and the great town of Sunny Isles Beach.

Our intent from the beginning of our existence, was to educate the public about the great and colorful history of this sport.

In keeping with that objective, the Aronow family has allowed HORBA to use the Don Aronow name, for this type of open ocean powerboat race, as this is the type of racing that Don did and they can relate to.

We are looking for sponsors for many areas of this race weekend. Any potential sponsors please contact me through an e-mail to the site, www.historicraceboats.com, or with a PM here.

Friday night we hope to have a gathering at the awards ceremony of a lot of the old racers that are still with us to hear some of the old war stories. Brownie, Mel Riggs, Bobby Saccenti, Odell Lewis, Richie Powers, Steve Sirois, Bobby Moore, Preston Henn, Rocky Aoki, Bill Elswick, Bill Wishnick, George Pironi, etc. etc. and hopefully John Crouse will be able to make it too.

We are looking for a sponsor(s) to put on a dinner for the old racers. We are looking for film crews that would be interested in covering the race and the old racer discussion and awards ceremony.

Proceeds will go to a charity. The Aronow family is reviewing a few of them now and will let us know their choice.

I can't say enough how much tenacity Brad Schoenwald has shown in seeing this thing through. We all owe him a great deal of thanks.

We want this to be an experience for all those who never ran this type of race before. We want it to be fun for all involved.
That is why we are trying to keep it as simple as possible and as open as possible so that anyone with an interest may experience it.

We look forward to the support of the many that have told us over the years...."If you ever run a race like that, count on me being there!" We hope they will enjoy airing out their hulls like we used to do, in the first photo.

The boat in the second photo was a 17 foot Formula that was "stretched" by a beak, to make the minimum 20 foot length requirement. The co-driver sat outside the boat on a bracket. The driver sat with his legs on either side of the engine under glass. This boat came in second in the Long Beach to San Francisco race. Oh yeah, Brownie rode in the co-driver seat one time, he can tell you what it was really like to be an outboard on a bracket.

Charlie McCarthy

This was getting lost on the first page.

nocigarette 03-11-2008 08:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This definatly needsmore coverage.....

Top Banana 03-11-2008 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS (Post 2479861)
Hi Charlie,
Can I get an invitation to the dinner? I ran the Miami Bimini race more than once, will that qualify for an invitation?
Thanks,
Pepe @ Pantera.
PS, YES, count us to race "THE RACE"!

Pepe you are in for the dinner...now get back to work and start buildng an OLD STYLE boat that can make it both ways across the Stream.

XtremePowerboats.com 03-11-2008 04:24 PM

Attention powerboat manufacturers !!We need your customers boats to run this 1 st. annual Don Aronow Ocean Race in June.
Who,s interested ??

XtremePowerboats.com 03-11-2008 09:25 PM

Pepe&Jo,
Maybe i can get my first race boat ,a 28'pantera with triple 2.5merc;s and kick a-s to bimini !That boat did a great job in the past racing to freeport back in the 80,s.
It,s still owned by Rick @ aqua-mania !
It was his first race boat too !

el indio 03-11-2008 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by XtremePowerboats.com (Post 2481007)
,a 28'pantera with triple 2.5merc;s

manny,carlos, and gabrial.......

offshoredrillin 03-11-2008 10:08 PM

gonna run for the fun Mark? will be some bravo butts there :D

el indio 03-12-2008 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 2481065)
gonna run for the fun Mark? will be some bravo butts there :D

interviewing sponsors today.......MARK..

nocigarette 03-12-2008 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by el indio (Post 2481019)
manny,carlos, and gabrial.......

I love that pic......

offshoredrillin 03-12-2008 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by el indio (Post 2481220)
interviewing sponsors today.......MARK..

How about Chicago Case, i hear the owner really likes boating.

el indio 03-12-2008 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 2481288)

"much to fast to take that test"........[words of david bowie]...

lucy 03-12-2008 08:38 AM

:p:D Great idea, it will be fun!!

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 2481288)

el indio 03-12-2008 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by lucy (Post 2481303)
:p:D Great idea, it will be fun!!

YOU KNOW THE 41 SLEEPS WITH THE COWS.........M.M.....