Notices

Gas Price At your marina

Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
I didn't mean come off so... well...defensive.

but to lump sum people's reasoning for looking at getting out or downsizing or
to presume that choosing not to pay out the azz for fuel in $500-600 hits speaks of poor boat care and maintenence history...
is just plain wrong.

It's not about not being able to afford the fuel, but choosing not to...
I mean the extra $ has to come out of some other interest...
because as I pointed out my wages haven't doubled!

I have done more drifting, anchoring, moderate running in the interest of compensating for ever rising fuel prices

but when you live somewhere with a 3-4 month season,
and you're a driver and your greatest enjoyment comes from being behind the wheel underway...
at what point are the compromises resulting in not getting what you want out of the experience and the money?
Rippem,

Completely agree with you. This will be my first season in big boating and I've had a crash course all winter long in "actual costs" vs "anticipated costs". My friend and I are doing this on a very tight budget. But just because money is tight doesn't mean the necessities don't get done. Since purchase in November, we've poured 10K into repairs, upgrades and outfitting. That may be a season bar tab for some on here but it's a serious dent to my personal economy. I'm not a lawyer/banker/doctor. I don't make a gazillion $$$ a year.....more like 65K.

Yes...when you're on a budget there are priorities...things that need to get done and things you'd like to get done. Why would I sink all the money I have so far....which btw...if put into relative scale of net income is probably a FAR greater amount than all the studs on here with the new Cigs and AT's have into theirs.....just to neglect critical maintanence items? I'm not 16 and this ain't no junker Dodge! The stuff that needs to get done, gets done. As far as gas goes.....here's the budget...I'll squeeze in all the fun I can afford and probably a little extra that I can't! That's why we bought it!

Last edited by Ryan8886; 03-19-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
absolutely.

as much as I was countering comment, I was just as much in retrospect looking to sponsor more conversation about what others like me/my position are thinking today, this week, this month as the fuel thing gets scarier...

Originally Posted by FeverMike
BLee, no hard feelings we all are just talking out loud here and you expressed your opinion and I expressed mine. It's all good no hard no foul.

I just want to downsize because here I have this huge 38' triple engine Fountain CC and all my wife and I do now is cruise 5 minutes out in the bay and sit. We do not really go anywhere and sometime we will not boat for a month or so. That is a HUGE change for us. Yes I do not want to spend $500 just to put in 150 gallons of fuel that I can easily burn up in a long weekend of boating like my wife and I use to do.

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
I hear what you're saying. But those are the guys with small cruisers, bowriders, or center consoles, or an old, beat up "performance" boat. And you can see them a mile away, because the boat hasn't been waxed in years, rarely gets washed, and if they don't need a tow, they're the ones coming back from the party spot half in the bag cutting you off without ever seeing you.

Thanks for calling off the lynching guys!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

The latest on Gas $$!

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/10/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes
Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
I hear what you're saying. But those are the guys with beat up "performance" boat. And you can see them a mile away, because the boat hasn't been waxed in years, rarely gets washed, and if they don't need a tow, they're the ones coming back from the party spot half in the bag cutting you off without ever seeing you.
how the hell did I get drug into this?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waterboy,You waxed tour boat,Didn't you?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just got back from FT. Lauderdale. I thought it was already $4.99 on the water there according to locals.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all how you look at things,

Family went bowling for my sons birthday last week.

3 rounds of bowling for 4 people a couple of pizzas and 2.5 hours later 85.00 is gone.

Go out to the lake, burn 60 gal of gas @ 4.00gal 240.oo, grill on the back of the boat with another family 50.00 in food.
Swimming, partying and fun for eight hours and eight people.

290.00 Which one is the better entertainment value for the dollar.

Even if you don't factor in taking a second familly or friends along the hourly cost is no different to go out on the boat than going bowling, If you factor in being able to take people with you it's actually cheaper than bowling.

Or maybe we should save money and play golf, that will cost 160.00 a round for two people and 4 hours of entertainment, but if you have kids you can't really take them along, so if you want to spend time with your family that really does'nt work either.

Does it suck paying 4.00 dollars a gallon, yeah, but when you really look at the cost of putting gas in the boat to go out and have some fun, it's really no better or worse than anything else.

Last edited by RonS; 03-24-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonS
It's all how you look at things,

Family went bowling for my sons birthday last week.

3 rounds of bowling for 4 people a couple of pizzas and 2.5 hours later 85.00 is gone.

Go out to the lake, burn 60 gal of gas @ 4.00gal 240.oo, grill on the back of the boat with another family 50.00 in food.
Swimming, partying and fun for eight hours and eight people.

290.00 Which one is the better entertainment value for the dollar.

Even if you don't factor in taking a second familly or friends along the hourly cost is no different to go out on the boat than going bowling, If you factor in being able to take people with you it's actually cheaper than bowling.

Or maybe we should save money and play golf, that will cost 160.00 a round for two people and 4 hours of entertainment, but if you have kids you can't really take them along, so if you want to spend time with your family that really does'nt work either.

Does it suck paying 4.00 dollars a gallon, yeah, but when you really look at the cost of putting gas in the boat to go out and have some fun, it's really no better or worse than anything else.
I agree with your logic, but your numbers are off and you forget about the hidden costs of boating. Insurance for boat and tow vehicle, fuel for tow vehicle, maintainence costs for motors every hr they are run or any other potential mechanical failure, etc. No matter how you cut it, boating is expensive, especially when you break something. But I do agree, the entertainment value boating represents is huge compared to other conventional forms of entertainment.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by baddogz28
^^^ I'm introducing many of my friends to the thrill of offshore powerboating in a month or so when I get my boat. I won't be shy about asking them to pony up for gas, and it won't be $20. Sh*t, that barely buys a pizza these days.

I can bet they are going to be more than willing to chip in to experience the thrill. I'm also sure I'll have friends coming out of the woodwork because there aren't many 24 year olds with go-fasts in these parts...

And it's A$$ or GAS if ya wanna ride.

I don't smoke grass.

LOL.
You'll be surprised that no one will kick in a substantial amount of money. They are spending money on entertainment (food drinks etc) and feel that is enough. Unless your friends own a boat then you will get nothing most of the time. Especially when your friends are around your age and might not have the extra income yet. I don't let it bother me, but I decide who goes on my boat period. If your an ******* your not going to be caught dead on my boat.

Last edited by BraceYourself; 03-24-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:13 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
You'll be surprised that no one will kick in a substantial amount of money. They are spending money on entertainment (food drinks etc) and feel that is enough. Unless your friends own a boat then you will get nothing most of the time. Especially when your friends are around your age and might not have the extra income yet. I don't let it bother me, but I decide who goes on my boat period. If your an ******* your not going to be caught dead on my boat.
Couldn't agree more. A good buddy of mine thinks buying a $50 lunch is adequate contribution.
I told him I appreciate it, but if he wants to come out, either hand me a C note at minimum or don't do anything .....but just don't insult me by thinking we're square by footing a $50 lunch bill....such a joke. Needless to say, he has yet to pony up anything substantial, only sits there and says "lets go faster" and then bails.
He won't be invited on any more trips.
If I'm taking people out that don't go out often with me...then I don't expact anything....it's the jerks that call every week asking if WE are taking the boat out and then don't contribute that really piss me off. And it's not like these same jerks don't realize how expensive it is....Whatever, I don't expect anyone to help out.....thats just setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration.

Last edited by LZH; 03-24-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas Price At your marina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.