Notices

A tough day

Old 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A tough day

A year ago today, my older brother Stu Colby passed away at 47 years old after battling colon cancer for four years. He left behind his wife, a 13-year-old son and a 10-year-old daughter. In his memory, I am asking anyone over the age of 40 to get screened— especially if there is even a remote trace of family history—so that no more moms and kids are left husband-less and fatherless. More often than not this disease is beatable if caught early enough and the screening process is not that bad. It can actually help you get started on dropping those extra five pounds your wife has been nagging you about.

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

I'm 24, but that's still good information to know. Sorry about your brother.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read and hear you. Will get checked.

I am sorry for your loss. That is a hard thing to get over. I can respect that you are trying to do some good after such a terrible thing to happen to someone.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We lost a good boating friend last November 1st after a 3 year fight with colon cancer. He made Bill get checked. This boating season won't be the same without him. Good post.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Hey Eric,

Very sorry about your brother. I read the great story in PRA about you taking your brothers son on a cigarette down in CT.

Cancer is a nasty miserable disease and many of good people in our sport have passed on because of it. I used to joke about being out of shape but as I approach the 4-0 in 13 months I have become a gym rat. I have to say that I feel a million times better and will also be getting screened for colon cancer in the near future.

The bright spot is that your brother, Doug Lewis, Scott Applegate and others that we have lost will live forever in the great memories that we have of them.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

You always spoke so fondly of your brother. The people who know you understand how much you loved and respected him. The loss to Stu's family, as well as you and your family, is as heavy as they come. All condolences to everyone involved. Tough day, indeed.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Tough day indeed Eric, Your brother Stu is in our thoughts.

Kurt
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Registered

My 40 year old brother with 3 kids under the age of 7 was diagnosed with metastatic colon cancer in november. No family history, never had any health problems. Currently he is doing radiation/chemo and is making good progress. PLEASE do you and your family a favor, if you are over 30 get a colonoscopy! I had it done a month ago, you dont feel a thing.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Registered

Talking

I go next tuesday,it sucks to get old 44 whew.Not looking forward to it but what can ya do.Sorry for your loss,there was a article in the paper today about a 40 yr old guy who had no history and they found polyps and he was lucky.My wife saw that today and made me an appointment for screening today.Hope the test comes back neg.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your loss, my brother passed away in November from Pancreatic cancer. Went in for surgery January 07 and was in remission as of August. By October it came back with a vengence. He was 62 the same age as my Dad died of liver cancer. In June I'm turning 50 and curently under going testing and will continue every year. Cancer is a bad a$$ disease and would not wish it on my worst enemy.
On another note I was talking with an old friend yesterday. Her 37 y/o sister inlaw was diagnosed in January with colon cancer. Her Mom had it at the early part of her 40's which ran in the family. She had it in her mind for testing once she reached 40 but came 3 years prior. Fortunetly the colon is now clean but liver cancer has surfaced.
It's never too early to test for this if in fact other family members have had colon cancer. Early detection is a key.

Quick Reply: A tough day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.