Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Interesting quote in Hot Boat article >

Interesting quote in Hot Boat article

Notices

Interesting quote in Hot Boat article

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it is faster because the tie-bar is shorter, weighs less, has less wind resistance. Also, putting the decimal point over one digit doesn't hurt....................
Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
For one, the cabin is smaller since the engine compartment is lengthened, and the cockpit looks a little tighter too. Hence, the boat appears to have fewer compartments. I like the design. Its a lean and mean go-fast. But like I said, they started from scratch on the new boat. They didn't just stagger it, and get 18mph +/- all of a sudden.
I think by staggering the engines it allowed a higher x dimension, and the bottom may have some tweaks. The cockpit does appear a little tighter due to the staggered engines, however i really didnt notice a smaller cabin , while looking at the 2 side by side. If anything the redesigned cabin is much nicer than the old version, and appears to have more "stuff" inside, ie:much nicer cabinetry improved upholstery etc. Much more upscale than previous versions. Maybe shogren could chime in and address the specific changes in the "stuff"
Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BL6
This was in March 2008, report on 35' Fountain w/ 525's, p. 60.
"All Lightning models now come with staggared engines. This type of installation.... reduces drag by placing drives 15" closer together. When compared to a 35-Lightning with side by side engines of the same power, the staggared version gained 18mph."

Wow - is that true?
no way possible. u pick up 6-8mph thats it.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I think it is faster because the tie-bar is shorter, weighs less, has less wind resistance. Also, putting the decimal point over one digit doesn't hurt....................
LMAO!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that is some funny s**t.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Tie bar weight is the second biggest determinent of powerboat performance. The only thing more significant is the weight of the owner's wife's artificial breast enhancement and resultant airflow disturbance..........

On a more serious note, maybe you gain 18 mph if the guy doing the comparison "staggers" into the test session......

Well, maybe not more serious.............

T2x
Attached Thumbnails Interesting quote in Hot Boat article-my-pictures-228.jpg  
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well, I've been on a couple year old side by side Fountain that did 91 point something, so I guess staggered is 110?

If the real number is 101 (which is still impressive), that's still only 1/2 the 18mph......Hey, who wrote the article? I bet it was Reggie
Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Tie bar weight is the second biggest determinent of powerboat performance. The only thing more significant is the weight of the owner's wife's artificial breast enhancement and resultant airflow disturbance..........
If you guys are getting technical, I have read that in prior testing Reggie wore his chains, where as in more recent tests he removes them!
Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same boat same weight same power. absolutely 12-15. aatleast on the topic of boat at hand.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

May be it's the new Baja/Reggie/Fountain hull they tested from the North Carolina skunkworks!!!!!!!!!!