Notices

How do you lift 15000#

Old 03-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 523 Posts

Do a little shopping. You can find bottle jacks that will fit RIGHT behind the tire, and will lift just the spindle of the tire you are changing, (assuming you have torsion axles). This setup works perfectly. You don't have to lift the weight of the whole boat. All you have to do is lift the spindle against the torsion of the axle. The boat/trailer really never moves (lifts). I will look when I get home for the tonnage of the bottle jack that I use. You are going to have to drive up onto several boards to get the boat/trailer high enough to put the inflated spare back on there.

Also, Home Depot and Lowes sell 12"x12" - 1/4" thick steel plates in the hardware section where they have pieces of diamond plate and the like.

I have 9 of them, and keep 3 with me at all times when trailering.
6 stay at home wherever the boat parks to disperse the weight of each wheel/tire. I put one under each winch stand foot whenever I unhook the trailer with the boat on it. I painted the last one several times, and keep it in the tool box on the trailer. I will usually put it under the bottle jack when changing a tire. I have used this plate to change a tire in wet grass with the boat on the trailer, and it works great.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-24-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Do a little shopping. You can find bottle jacks that will fit RIGHT behind the tire, and will lift just the spindle of the tire you are changing, (assuming you have torsion axles). This setup works perfectly. You don't have to lift the weight of the whole boat. All you have to do is lift the spindle against the torsion of the axle. The boat/trailer really never moves (lifts). I will look when I get home for the tonnage of the bottle jack that I use. You are going to have to drive up onto several boards to get the boat/trailer high enough to put the inflated spare back on there.

Also, Home Depot and Lowes sell 12"x12" - 1/4" thick steel plates in the hardware section where they have pieces of diamond plate and the like.

I have 9 of them, and keep 3 with me at all times when trailering.
6 stay at home wherever the boat parks to disperse the weight of each wheel/tire. I put one under each winch stand foot whenever I unhook the trailer with the boat on it. I painted the last one several times, and keep it in the tool box on the trailer. I will usually put it under the bottle jack when changing a tire. I have used this plate to change a tire in wet grass with the boat on the trailer, and it works great.
Great info. I am going to the depot in the morning to get some.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:38 AM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sydwayz thanks for the input. My axels are on leaf springs. I put the jack just inside the spring shackel. I would have thought the wheel would have lifted but the springs are short and apparently do not have much independant travel.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a flat or are you looking to get the wheels off to add the brakes? Could you just take it to a ramp and get the boat off the trailer? Bring tools and parts with you...

Otherwise with leaf springs you need to lift the whole side I imagine. Long piece of thick wood and two bottle jacks, between each axle. Use steel plate like Sydwayz says on both the ground and between jack head and wood.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!! Lift the WHOLE side!!! I think that would take an 8 X 8 to support all that weight and span. You would never get a jack under the board. The axels are on individual springs so hopefully I only will have to lift one wheel. The boat ramp is a fine idea but I have NEVER started a project that didn't take longer than I planned, and didn't need a tool I didn't bring. I think Paradox hole is the best answer but not terribly practical if you are trying to change a tire on the highway. I am going to try a 4T bottle jack. If that doesn't work a friend has a 20T. I am also going to build a ramp. I can't imagine a quicker, easier, or safer solution than that.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

5 ton bottle jack at Sam's club, 40 bucks. Simple. Although most of the time driving up on a cut 4x6 with a ramp is what I use. easier and safer, but sometimes it won't work out.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,207 Likes on 523 Posts

rjr

Try one of these:
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/367430972.htm

You wedge it under the axle, and drive forward and rock the axle up. I'd suggest two of them tacked or fixed together, just for more stability.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think your leaf springs will appreciate being twisted with only one wheel up. If anything, do both sides so the entire axle is raised. What's the axle capacity? Should give an idea which jacks are needed? The first jack didn't work because the axle doesn't like to be twisted and it probably had more weight than you think.

FWIW, a friend has a big cruiser on a 15k GVW trailer with torsion axles. Even with torsions lifting one wheel still puts pressure/weight on the rest of the trailer.

Examples of the plastic deals:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...10867&src=SRQB

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRAILER-AID-...QQcmdZViewItem