HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race >

HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race

Notices

HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race

Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott B
An OPEN 233 Formula can enter, but an OPEN 28 Cary cannot? What the heck happened?? Did the rules change? Did the waters part? Is DA himself coming down to officiate and has requested a Formula for a pace boat??

Oooh, wait wait, I know I knowwwwwwwww: No one wants to race the original Donzi hull...

Ahh, that makes PERFECT sense..

Sorry, I was temporarily confused..

You know a lot of people have been working pretty hard to get this thing off the ground and get racing back to where the average guy can actually do it again and you have to bust our balls by coming up with the one boat that falls into a Center Console category.

Don't you have any other boats to pick from?????? I guess you do but this one is special.

Send in your photo of the boat....if we can, we will make sure it runs.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:17 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlie, nobody's busting anybody's ball's whatsoever, quite the contrary, it's looks to be a great idea, long overdue thinking... Scott's office adjoins the ORIGINAL Formula fence... we both have lived this heritage local life for over 50 years... look, this is my boat, i'm not a wealthy poker runner, i'm just an average guy who has spent 45 years following So Fla. boat racing, I grew up right there, I skiied in that 188st canal in the 60's, I was neighbor's with a LOT of boat racers in Miami Shores in the 60's and 70's, for the last time it's NOT a center console, DA didn't build center consoles right? neither did you.... it's an ORIGINAL side console '72 Cary, you told me two weeks ago there would be NO open cockpit boats for safety reasons, no matter what... then this Formula surfaces... what the hell do you think Broad Jumper was?? remember 007?

never mind on the request, we're no longer interested, we won't bother you again.

it really looks to be an exciting time

thanx, Jim
Old 04-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just wondering if there could be a poker run for the boats that want to just get together and have a more relaxed time without all the rules. I don't really want to run the guts out of my old boat just to prove that I might have a faster boat. I would like to have a get together just to enjoy everyones company and show off our boats. I respect your efforts for the boat race, you guys are awesome! But we do have hopefully, a lot of people wanting to concentrate on honoring the racers of the 60's. The race will be awesome but I won't be able to participate, hopefully there will be another one next year. We should all be supportive of this race whether we are in it or not, It will be a piece of history for sure! I would love to be in it but I don't have the extra funds to get my boat ready and transport it down there. Does anybody need a extra hand on their pit crew? I am a boat mechanic, an airplane mechanic, restore cars, race cars, I even worked on nuclear missiles on submarines.(PM me, I am serious, I will help!) There's only two types of ships, Submarine's and Target's.
Hey guy's let's have some fun and remember what this is all about. I might be able to get my boat ready for a poker run but not a race, to many things that I don't have so it won't pass tech inspection. I will be there for sure with or without my boat! Sure would be great to run this old boat and let Odell and Mel take it for a spin if they wanted, I am sure it would bring back some good memories.
Anyway, see you all there!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 1965 thunderbird
I was just wondering if there could be a poker run for the boats that want to just get together and have a more relaxed time without all the rules. I don't really want to run the guts out of my old boat just to prove that I might have a faster boat. I would like to have a get together just to enjoy everyones company and show off our boats. I respect your efforts for the boat race, you guys are awesome! But we do have hopefully, a lot of people wanting to concentrate on honoring the racers of the 60's. The race will be awesome but I won't be able to participate, hopefully there will be another one next year. We should all be supportive of this race whether we are in it or not, It will be a piece of history for sure! I would love to be in it but I don't have the extra funds to get my boat ready and transport it down there. Does anybody need a extra hand on their pit crew? I am a boat mechanic, an airplane mechanic, restore cars, race cars, I even worked on nuclear missiles on submarines.(PM me, I am serious, I will help!) There's only two types of ships, Submarine's and Target's.
Hey guy's let's have some fun and remember what this is all about. I might be able to get my boat ready for a poker run but not a race, to many things that I don't have so it won't pass tech inspection. I will be there for sure with or without my boat! Sure would be great to run this old boat and let Odell and Mel take it for a spin if they wanted, I am sure it would bring back some good memories.
Anyway, see you all there!
you dont have to run the guts out of it, it's a timed event. I'm going tto enter to be a part of it. I'll never have the fastest tiger out there, but team assclown will be there in full force to have fun and participate and help a charity.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
team assclown will be there in full force to have fun and participate and help a charity.

I cant wait to see the team shirts
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Random thoughts on the upcoming Bimini race. I ran an identical 28' Cary in the last Miami-Islamorada race, 1970. It belonged to Norman Braman, my friend, and he rode along. We also brought all his neighbors, about eight or nine yuppies. When it was rough, I had "Yuppie ballast", and I made them run to the front of the boat. When it was smooth, I allowed them to sit on the rear covering board and drink designer water, and to occasionally hand me a cold Heinie. We won our class.

As regards WFO racing, let's take a page from the other ASSociations, and have at least one class for every goddam boat. In the Islamorada race, we gave a plaque to every boat that said "Winner", except to the winner, who got nothing. Whaddya think?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
Charlie, nobody's busting anybody's ball's whatsoever, quite the contrary, it's looks to be a great idea, long overdue thinking... Scott's office adjoins the ORIGINAL Formula fence... we both have lived this heritage local life for over 50 years... look, this is my boat, i'm not a wealthy poker runner, i'm just an average guy who has spent 45 years following So Fla. boat racing, I grew up right there, I skiied in that 188st canal in the 60's, I was neighbor's with a LOT of boat racers in Miami Shores in the 60's and 70's, for the last time it's NOT a center console, DA didn't build center consoles right? neither did you.... it's an ORIGINAL side console '72 Cary, you told me two weeks ago there would be NO open cockpit boats for safety reasons, no matter what... then this Formula surfaces... what the hell do you think Broad Jumper was?? remember 007?

never mind on the request, we're no longer interested, we won't bother you again.

it really looks to be an exciting time

thanx, Jim

Jim.... You first contacted me a couple of weeks ago with a PM re this boat. At that time, I told you that we had to draw a line with center consoles due to the speed of some of the new ones and the lack of bolsters.

You said you understood and then generously offered to do whatever you could with your boat to help out. You offered to bring your boat down and have it in the area so it could be seen by the fans. Much appreciated.

What has changed in that time, is that a lot of other people with 60's era boats also PM'd. Based on this response we had some serious discussions, pro and con, insurance and safety factors etc, before the final rules were drawn up and posted.

Final decision was that the historical boats would be allowed to run as they did then. We used for some direction, what the historic sportscars do by allowing the older cars to compete there. This change is clearly posted in the rules and as people began to read the final rules, they began contacting us for clarification.."Does this apply to my boat?"

Unfortunatley, Scott chose to make his declaration a public notice instead of PMing or calling..he has my personal cell number.

My response is my frustration with everyone who wants to have a race like this, but hasn't offered to step forward and do anything to help. We asked for sponsors and even went to the boat companies that Don started for something...anything.

They will of course, bask in the glow of the associated publicity of the Don Aronow name, but they have nothing to give at this time. We have turned to outside the marine industry for sponsorship.

We didn't start out with a big desire to start another race organization, the only reason we are doing it, is for the guys who don't have a chance in the other organizations to race. If one of the other associations would do a real open ocean race, we would gladly hand it off to them.

We are a bunch of old boat racers, if we make mistakes as we are trying to put this thing together...we apologize, but in spite of all the nay sayers, it is still going forward.

Please refer back to Larry's response....we will find a place for any historic boat that wants to race....yours included.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Guys-

Wish I could bring down maybe the "LAST" Signature 38 built under the Signature brand after Tommy Adams passed and the business started to struggle.

I'm spending my money running a car in the NASA TT series this year so next year hopefully we can come down.

Here's a quick vid of her running up here in on the historic Potomac River in our Nation's capital..Washington DC.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VPyqWvHBbxM

Come up here this summer guys- we're opening the new National Harbor, a premier waterfront harbor just South of Old Town Alexandria on the Potomac River.

Look forward to some vids of open ocean competition!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Charlie, First correction: I do not have your personal cel#, I think you have me confused with Scott Begowich (sp).

Second: I explained a couple of times it is not a center console, but a side console straight drive inboard 12000 lb boat that doesn't stand an ice cubes chance in hell of winning anything. But, we just want to run because first off it's a great event for a great cause, and secondly because it is reasonably period correct, (and indeed Cary has a small amount of racing history somewhere in it's lineage) boat so we thought it would be a great addition to a "historical" race. My involvement was simply planning on helping sponsor the boat, and I also have plans to contact Brownie shortly to see if my company can help you guys out by sponsoring generators and/or portable lighting for the event.

If my coments seemed to be an attack, please be assured they are not. My frustration as evidenced by my comments last night came from the fact that we were told no open boats, which as you noted, Jim and I both accepted, and indeed Jim offered to help at the races.

Then, the 233 Formula pops up as an accepted entry.....
Old 04-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scott B
Charlie, First correction: I do not have your personal cel#, I think you have me confused with Scott Begowich (sp).

Second: I explained a couple of times it is not a center console, but a side console straight drive inboard 12000 lb boat that doesn't stand an ice cubes chance in hell of winning anything. But, we just want to run because first off it's a great event for a great cause, and secondly because it is reasonably period correct, (and indeed Cary has a small amount of racing history somewhere in it's lineage) boat so we thought it would be a great addition to a "historical" race. My involvement was simply planning on helping sponsor the boat, and I also have plans to contact Brownie shortly to see if my company can help you guys out by sponsoring generators and/or portable lighting for the event.

If my coments seemed to be an attack, please be assured they are not. My frustration as evidenced by my comments last night came from the fact that we were told no open boats, which as you noted, Jim and I both accepted, and indeed Jim offered to help at the races.

Then, the 233 Formula pops up as an accepted entry.....
Absolutley correct about mixing you up with the other Scott B....which made it more weird as he already said he was running an AMF boat.

The main reason why we decided to allow the old boats in as raced condition, is just as you state....the actual speeds they will run is not going to be hazardous as compared to modern racers.

When we changed the rule and posted it....we didn't call everyone back and explain, because we just didn't have the time and we thought they would see the change and call...which a lot did...but some didn't and here we are.

Your boat can run and you will be made the official "Go To Guy" if and when, we have any center console people who want the rule explained and the difference between side and center explained to them.

We also appreciate any and all help you can offer..... it takes a lot to get this up and running, but hopefully someday the other associations will see, that people really want this type of racing and they will bring it back and we can all retire one more time.

Quick Reply: HORBA presents Don Aronow Memorial Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.