Anyone in the trucking/hauling busness >

Anyone in the trucking/hauling busness

Notices

Anyone in the trucking/hauling busness

Old 03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer35
just last week we loaded the last guy up and the plant manager told him to tell the foreman he was the last load, what does the guy do, go around back to our rap pile and dump his 20 ton load on the ground (at 56$/ton) and go home!!! needless to say the outfit will be paying for the Mix, but that doesnt help the cost of 12 confused guys and a crew worth of paving equip waiting for 2 hrs

NEVER!!! use a driver to relay a message of any sort from the plant to the crew. Ive gotten into plenty of screaming matches with paving foremans and dumb fuking truck drivers over the years. Driver forgets to tell me he is on hold pulls under the plant and I load him, the crew is stuck with a load of mix they dont need. Another popular game is: foreman calls driver wanting to know where the hell he is, driver says waiting in line, foreman calls me pi$$ed becase his crew is waiting, I havent seen the dammned truck since the last round.....GRRRRRRRRR!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
NEVER!!! use a driver to relay a message of any sort from the plant to the crew. Ive gotten into plenty of screaming matches with paving foremans and dumb fuking truck drivers over the years. Driver forgets to tell me he is on hold pulls under the plant and I load him, the crew is stuck with a load of mix they dont need. Another popular game is: foreman calls driver wanting to know where the hell he is, driver says waiting in line, foreman calls me pi$$ed becase his crew is waiting, I havent seen the dammned truck since the last round.....GRRRRRRRRR!!!
thats a whole nother head ache!!! But i couldnt agree more, atleast i can control my guys, ie the plants, and paving foreman, and work on there communication.. As far as trucking goes every day is a challenge
Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I own and drive a semi dump here in Chicago. Been doing it for a few years now with one truck. I go thru a broker, who keeps me busy, and gladly let them take the small % from me just to get paid on time, which is very tough on your own!

Many friends of mine have been in the business, and have owned 1 truck to 15 trucks. They all say the best thing is just to own 1 and drive it. With the fuel cost, plate fees, road tax, drivers, unions, workers comp, its just not worth it to have drivers. Ten years ago around here you saw dump guys with brand new Pete's, new dump trailers, chrome, lights, etc. Now, you see old beat up R model macks pulling rotted out rusty trailers. Just no money in it. The immigrants cut the rates and ruined the business.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boomer35
im thinking about the blasting bus more and more these days, just tough deciding when the right time is to move back north.
well if you dont, i will.... let me know, then ill give your pops back to you...
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Registered

I've been a foreman and project engineer here in AZ for the last 10 years. During our boom we saw alot of new trucking outfits emerge and if they had a connection, they are still around. Since the fall of our housing market, it seems that I only see the big outfits still running. They dominate and set the rate for everyone and can afford to cut the 1 truck guy's rate just to keep their trucks rolling. Alot of very nice equipment is setting in yards all over for sale. Becareful, cause the big guys can buy the jobs right out from under you, and wade thru this market till things get better.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

From 1992 until 2000 I owned 30 trucks hauling auto's both local and cross country for dealers from auctions. For me the business can still work but as everyone on here will tell you, you need a network of customers to stay busy and good drivers. I personally got out from getting sick of drivers calling me at 300am from the middle of nowhere asking me to get a tire fixed. Or they said they had no lights without checking for an alt belt being off. The auto transport business gave me a very comfortable lifestyle but I had a great network of customers. I had sales girls at the auctions and spent time at the auctions myself selling my service. I still keep in touch with friends in the business. Yes ileagal drivers work cheap and give that owner an advantage. I always followed that If you ran late model good equiptment then you would get good drivers. If a driver has the experience you need then he will choose the company with the best equipment and best working conditions. In my line of work drivers get paid 25% of the truck gross. The biggest problem with auto transport now is the cost of new 10 car trucks. In the late 1990's a complete unit cost 180,000. Now a 2008 10 car unit with the latest options will cost 270,000. Best of luck