Racing through Hell's Canyon @ 115 mph. >

Racing through Hell's Canyon @ 115 mph.

Notices

Racing through Hell's Canyon @ 115 mph.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Propster
Great videos. Whitewater jetboating is a blast. I crewed and navigated a couple of races a couple years ago for a friend of mine. He had a Kwik Kiwi hull from New Zealand running a 750 hp fuel injected, Whipple supercharged 502.

We ran at the Salmon River race at Riggins and the Yuba/Feather River race at Marysville California. Both places had an excellent safety staff and law enforcement. Anyone getting on the river without permission was going to jail. We fried a jet pump bearing at the Salmon River race during practice and could not run, then we won the following race at Marysville, California.

The pre-run in a jet sled is very important. With a jet sled, you can stop in the rapids (under power) to look at hidden rocks and obsticles and plan your routes. The sport seems to be dying, as not too many are willing to brave the river and their equipment for very little prize money. We won the Marysville race because the only other unlimited boat DNF'd.

Hopefully, the sport gains in popularity and participation. Increased prize money and popularity couldn't hurt.

Here is a pic of our boat.
That picture of your boat looks like the Upper Rouge in Grant's Pass Oregon. The rocks on the navigators side this would be Galice right? As for the races the main problem right now is there is no Young Blood most of the guys racing have been doing it for over 12 years and counting. We lost three teams just this year. Finding sponsors is also a problem too. To many hardships with the economy and the enviormentalist. More economy than anything. Hard to keep racing when your dentonating pumps, motors, and everything eles under the hull. Back the the late 80's -early 90's was the golden years for the races. I take it you ran the 2000 Worlds?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Those videos are incredible. Would make a great video game. Have you considered approaching the gaming industry with it? There would have to be interest. I know I would play it.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that has to fun as hell.........
Old 04-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ravencrew
That picture of your boat looks like the Upper Rouge in Grant's Pass Oregon. The rocks on the navigators side this would be Galice right?
Good eye, that pic was on the upper Rouge River. I pre-ran the river, but had to leave town on business before the race. He let an experianced driver run the boat and he navigated. The Rouge is a bad ass river, right up there with the Salmon in Idaho. You really had to know what you are doing.

I only ran two races and decided to retire as a navigator. I never liked being a passenger. I still would love to build a bad ass jet sled to run the rivers out here.

Last edited by Propster; 04-08-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

I thought so.... I've been attending these races for over 12 years. I've raced on the Rouge myself with my father-in-law (Jesse Laforest). I just in the past five years started to film them. I can remember Justin Boice in his team Garret boat. Val Ramesdale the only woman driver, and so on... I've also Raced in Riggins. That river has it's own reputation for eating boats. Hell just last year we lost three(3) I'm sure you raced the Klamath too?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

I ran into Justin Boice the other day. He helped us a lot by running a few racers up and down the river in his jet sled and gave us some good tips and lines.

He lives in Seattle now selling boats. His boat was the one that had engine trouble in Marysville and allowed us to win. Great guy and great driver. My favourite memory was when a tree hugger kayaker decided that the river was for everyone and no one was going to keep him off the river. Justin had this bad ass hardtop boat with a 950 hp naturally aspirated big block. Justin gave him a little flick of the steering wheel as he went by. We were right behind him and that kayaker was trying to get off the river. He was soaking wet, had a bent paddle, his helmet was turned sideways and his eyes where as big as saucers. One of the sheriffs told me that they arrested him for going on the closed river.

Justin was pretty non-chalant about it. Just smiled and laughed.

The gals in California were awesome too. There was a line of 7 well endowed gals on the side of the river that flashed us as we went by. We got off line and into the shallow water and ended up scratching the bottom a little on some gravel, but made it through. It was worth it!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Registered

I ran into Justin Boice the other day. He helped us a lot by running a few racers up and down the river in his jet sled and gave us some good tips and lines.

He lives in Seattle now selling boats. His boat was the one that had engine trouble in Marysville and allowed us to win. Great guy and great driver. My favourite memory was when a tree hugger kayaker decided that the river was for everyone and no one was going to keep him off the river. Justin had this bad ass hardtop boat with a 950 hp naturally aspirated big block. Justin gave him a little flick of the steering wheel as he went by. We were right behind him and that kayaker was trying to get off the river. He was soaking wet, had a bent paddle, his helmet was turned sideways and his eyes where as big as saucers. One of the sheriffs told me that they arrested him for going on the closed river.

Justin was pretty non-chalant about it. Just smiled and laughed.

The gals in California were awesome too. There was a line of 7 well endowed gals on the side of the river that flashed us as we went by. We got off line and into the shallow water and ended up scratching the bottom a little on some gravel, but made it through. It was worth it!
After reading that I had to pick myself up off of the floor that is too funny! I do remember hearing about the girls and a boat going into a bar. How small the world is. We'll I can tell you that the Topless girls still attend the races in Grants Pass. A couple of years ago it caused a race team to beach there boat totally up the bank. High and dry. I think it was in Albany Oregon. Another racer ended up going up the bank at Dunn Riffle and nearly took out 3 spectators. When they (The Driver and Navigator) got out of their boat they asked the long haired folk if they were Okay. They replied "That was cool man you want a bud?" Needless to say it wasen't made by the beer company! There are some funny stories I've heard over the years.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:54 PM
Registered

I just checked, we ran three races in 2002 in Erics Unlimited boat,

April 19th-21st Salmon at Riggins ID DNS
May 4th-5th Feather and Yuba at Marysville CA Won
May 25th-26th Rogue at Grants Pass OR 3rd?

Looks like the Riggins and Marysville races are no longer. Sucks, they were both great events.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
Registered

I just checked, we ran three races in 2002 in Erics Unlimited boat,

April 19th-21st Salmon at Riggins ID DNS
May 4th-5th Feather and Yuba at Marysville CA Won
May 25th-26th Rogue at Grants Pass OR 3rd?

Looks like the Riggins and Marysville races are no longer. Sucks, they were both great events.
Not so they revamped the Riggins Race. 6 legs 3 down and 3 up. That race is going strong. Their racing in two weeks! Marysville was put off this year. Hoping it will be back the next year 2009. Here take a look!~

http://www.jetboatracing.com/index2.htm
Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

KOOL!!!
the granite bouys sure do help you hone your skills!!!

Last edited by chuckbeecher; 04-09-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Racing through Hell's Canyon @ 115 mph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.