Notices

#6 Drive question

Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #6 Drive question

I've seen these on #6 drives and some not, whats the deal-e-o? whats the purpose of these hoses?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it is to force air to the props so they don't load up while planning. Don't haze me if I'm wrong but you see some on arnesons every once in a while also.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Usually only on cats, and are there to ventilate the props when getting on plane
Old 04-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

It allows air to ventilate the prop when planning off. Sometimes big gear ratios and big props and big cams bog the boat down so bad you need a little help. Sort of like slipping the clutch on a car. I have used them on two boats. I have set I could sell if anyone needs them.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

There cup holders for when you are rafted off at the beach . . . cup fits right in the top and the inside fills with water to keep beverage cool
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Registered

thanks for the info guys, so how does the air have enough force to get past the water if its just a hollow tube? maybe im missing something here. sorry for the dumb question, been around boats all my life but really starting to get into the whole offshore racing scene.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Registered

oh ok, maybe i see it now. in this pic the right outdrive part im pointing at there is metal tube below the hose, so as the water passes by this is works like a vacuum and draws the air down. kinda like a evac system some use in drag racing and jet boats where the valve cover breather hoses go into bungs welded in the headers to help draw out the vapors??? is that how this works to ventilate the props?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by zimm1978

oh ok, maybe i see it now. in this pic the right outdrive part im pointing at there is metal tube below the hose, so as the water passes by this is works like a vacuum and draws the air down. kinda like a evac system some use in drag racing and jet boats where the valve cover breather hoses go into bungs welded in the headers to help draw out the vapors??? is that how this works to ventilate the props?
Yep,
you have the basic understanding of how it works.
Dean
Old 04-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

i wondered what those were for so long. i asked a while ago and someone pretty much said the same thing.

heres another question: sometimes they are metal tubes instead of hoses, does it make a difference or is it purely looks?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Registered

there was a guy out on the west coast with like DCB26 that molded it all out of metal into the drive(if my memory is right)..really nice looking. Wouldn't even know it was there except for the added metal. Lot better than a plastic black hose sticking in the air off an expensive outdrive.. saw the picture on hotboat a year or so ago

Quick Reply: #6 Drive question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.