Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boating industry struggles to stay afloat in U.S. >

Boating industry struggles to stay afloat in U.S.

Notices

Boating industry struggles to stay afloat in U.S.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my customers has a sweet 78 foot sport fish. He is going to take a bath on it but no buyers. The boat is as nice as they come with the best of everything. He thought that the buyer would come because they will not have to waite for delivery. I don't think that he has even had a single offer. So obviously that market is soft also....
Old 04-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sad to see all the people in the boating industry get laid off- that sucks! Seems like certain companies like OL, NorTech, Cigarette, MTI, etc.... will keep selling expensive toys to the wealthy.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I'm sad to see all the people in the boating industry get laid off- that sucks! Seems like certain companies like OL, NorTech, Cigarette, MTI, etc.... will keep selling expensive toys to the wealthy.
That is fine for low production boat builders. OL makes 24-30 boats a year, Cigarette made less than 60 last year etc. The industry employs thousands that make thousands of boats. The mass effect on the industry is not going to be altered by OL, MTI, NT, or Cig since they only make a couple hundred boats collectively.

Boats are a huge waste of money regardless if you are rich or poor so when the economy slows the "toys" get skipped. Remember if it flys, floats or fvcks, RENT IT!