Notices

Diesels for boats

Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat, I asked you why. Don't throw "why not?" back at me as a non-answer answer. Now please try again: What is the advantage of a 6-speed over a 2 or 3-speed in a boat? Do such narrow RPM bands really gain you anything? What is the limit of usefulness? If 6-speeds is good, why not 10 or 12-speeds?

Last edited by Njawb; 04-15-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM

eurotrash

Originally Posted by Njawb
While I would love to see a marinized version of the Audi V12 that is in their Q7 SUV, to be fair to the other Le Mans prototype racers, the reason for the recent diesel wins is at least as much due to the rules differences for diesel-powered competitors as it is to any actual head-to-head advantage of the diesel engines over the more conventional powerplants.

Thanks for the reply, Pat. I agree with your vision of the marine diesel future completely, but I am curious as to whether 6-speeds may be too many gears. What is the advantage of having such narrow RPM bands when compared to something like a 2 or 3-speed transmission?
Cummins QSB is about the same displacement and has been built to over a hundred HP more. The Banks Sidewinder Dakota can out run that Le Mans car.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Njawb
Pat, I asked you why. Don't throw "why not?" back at me as a non-answer answer. Now please try again: What is the advantage of a 6-speed over a 2 or 3-speed in a boat? Do such narrow RPM bands really gain you anything? What is the limit of usefulness? If 6-speeds is good, why not 10 or 12-speeds?
Originally Posted by shifter
We ran 6 speeds with the class 1 boat in 1999. It is a great way to set the boat for the for almost any sea condition. Right now there is 6 speeds in a pick-up truck with a dmax why not a boat?

pat W
In other words you can keep the engines in the sweet spot and match your speed to how big the water is
Old 04-15-2008, 11:21 PM

Can't get no respect

Originally Posted by matador
You're right Pat ,Audi shocked the world when they won the Rolex 24 hrs endurance race for more than 2 years on a row with a Diesel power; they have a team that work together with lot of money and determination to make it happen.In the U.S, Diesel have not gain any respect in the high performance arena simply because the mayority of people dont believe on it,and there hasnt been a big company that would like to spend the big bucks and get this thing rolling simply for conflict of interest,so til then we'll be just a group of friends exchanging ideas in this forum....
Try this comparison: http://galebanks.com/Sidewinder-vs-Enzo.cfm
Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

The Banks Sidewinder Dakota can out run that Le Mans car.[/QUOTE]

Only when both thrown off the mount everest.

If Audi was going to set their car up for topspeed only .....
you know the result
Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 AM

If!

Originally Posted by stirling
The Banks Sidewinder Dakota can out run that Le Mans car.

Only when both thrown off the mount everest.

If Audi was going to set their car up for topspeed only .....
you know the result[/QUOTE]

Theres that "if" word again! Facts are:

Le Mans car 206 mph measured speed. Sidewinder Dakota 222 mph measured speed.

Le Mans car 660 hp. Sidewinder Dakota 735 hp.

Le Mans car 120 hp per liter. Sidewinder Dakota 124 hp per liter.

Why won't Audi bring that car out to the salt flats? ( We all know what happens to euro trash cars when they try to run with the big dogs)
Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
In other words you can keep the engines in the sweet spot and match your speed to how big the water is
Sure, that's the basic premise with any multi-speed transmission. My question is not about the basic premise, but about why 6-speeds is the right number, as opposed to 2, 3, 10, 12, whatever.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
Cummins QSB is about the same displacement and has been built to over a hundred HP more. The Banks Sidewinder Dakota can out run that Le Mans car.
Sure, and if you put the Audi engine in an airplane, it will double the speed of the Sidewinder Dakota.

C'mon, a Le Mans prototype and a Bonneville racer are completely different animals competing under completely different rules.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Registered

I didn,t see any sidewinder on Le Mans ,like Njawb said these two cars are totally different ,a multi million € downforce car set up for topspeed is nice to put in magazines (for the speed number only),so people will say ,wow thats fast,but it isn,t Audi,s goal,and if it was ,I would put my money on Audi.

Would love to see the sidewinder for 24 hrs on Le mans

A Corvette ZO6 with Ls7 will run 200 with 500 hp,do you really think the audi will only run 206 ....yeah maybe on the fastest part of the circuit where they measured speed.

Euro trash cars..................mmmmm

Last edited by stirling; 04-16-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered

As for the transmission speeds ,I think Shifter means that he used a 6 speed for a certain engine /boat combo,and he probably meant class 1 with 2 x seatek diesels (euro trash) with giant turbo,s that need to be spooled up,and kept spooled up for max thrust

I think , (and I,m no expert ) that the engine /boat combo is leading to a gearbox with X amount of speeds ,and its depending on the powerband /torque and rpm ,and boat type ,and racecourse to find how many gears you need .

And people like Shifter can probably tell from experience how many gears are needed if the engines /boat etc is given.

Quick Reply: Diesels for boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.